Firearm Training and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by jkdlifer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

My own personal opinion is that Police are around to keep things moving smoothly, not to intervene in deadly or violent situations. If there is something heavy happening I would want folks from "Special Ops" such as a SWAT Team to do the lifting. Police seem to do a pretty decent job at making sure things go along well on a day-to-day basis. Other than that all I have seen Police do is sweep up the pieces after something is over.

Here in the States we are constantly preasured to trust in the Community Policing for our security. AFAIC it just isn't gonna happen. The Police have a miserable record along these lines. In fact, I have noticed a growing number of cars that identify the driver as a "Community Service Officer" rather than "policeman".

Best Wishes,

Bruce

2. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

There have been SEVERAL cases here recently where home invasions have been foiled by the home owner shooting (and often killing ) the intruder(s) and the home owner has never been taken into custody.

I realize this sort of thing could differ depending on the your police's local policies and of course the evidence and circumstances at the crime scene, but I would be pretty surprised if the home owner is put in cuffs at all (even to be transported for questioning).

3. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

Come to IL and try it!!! Damn state is the worst for these situations!!! But you're correct, it is becoming a bit more understanding...however, I still say prepare for the worst. If there is anything that seems a bit suspect or questionable...I think it's better to be prepared for the long haul.

Don't forget, IL is the ONLY state that doesn't allow for conceal carry, and is constantly politically plagued with anti-gun campaigns. So here, things get a lil shady.

4. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

I have heard horror stories about Illinois and their gun laws.

Makes me glad that #1 I live in Georgia and #2 I work in law enforcement.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you call 911 it first has to go to the emergency dispatch. They talk to a dispatcher and determine it's a law enforcement need so then have to get enough details to pass on to a police dispatcher who can then send officers on a call. Those officers then have to respond to that location. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes minimum in a big city, even longer in a smaller area. It may be too late by that point.

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sometimes we do get lucky and get there in time to stop it, but sometimes we miss it. Even with SWAT teams it can take them a long time to mobilize so they're not always practical. In March of this year in my state (Pennsylvania) we had a gunman enter a psychiatric facility and start shooting people. University police officers responded and broke out their patrol rifles, then entered the building. They managed to stop the shooter before he killed anyone else. Working the streets is probably the toughest job as you never know what you're getting into. At least as part of a SWAT team you're well-armed and have several well-trained guys with you. For a street cop sometimes it might just be you and the guy you're trying to arrest.

Community-oriented policing is a nice idea in theory but difficult to implement effectively. It's also tough to see the effects as it's hard to compare data. It's a useful tool and does work, but its effectiveness is limited unfortunately.

7. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah I understand. We have exactly the same response time here. I was meaning not as a reaction to incidents but prevention of incidents. I don't think it's particularly fair on citizens being forced to kill somebody in self defense. If your government isn't going to help prevent it, they should atleast provide cheap resources and training to those that are forced to protect themselves.

The Bear.

8. Bruce W Sims

I'd be curious to know how "beat cops" feel about groups such as the "Guardian Angels" and other similar citizen efforts? What if a neighborhood banded together and hired a private security firm to oversee their particular four or five block area? Afterall, isn't that what the wealthy do with their "gated communities"? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

9. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I have mixed emotions about it. Some of our housing projects have security guards there to help watch and assist officers when needed. Sometimes they can be helpful. Other times they overstep legal boundaries and get themselves into trouble (e.g. illegal stops and searches). There are some that are a genuine benefit and others who cause us nothing but problems.

10. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

I'm a firm believer that the community has to police itself and take some responsibility. I think that most people are voluntarily oblivious to stuff that happens all over the place, and everyday and they think that the police will save 'em. Do they not realize that on avg a town of 30,000 people will only have a total of 105 officers, of which are split into shifts? And they can't be everywhere!!! That's where groups like Guardian Angels really come in handy I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  11. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

I'm not a beat cop, but I work in law enforcement and have for 10 years. My feelings mimic those of Kuma.

12. Bruce W Sims

Since we already have thread drift, and since I have a couple of you LEO-types on the line...one other question.

Hizzoner, Mayor Emmanuel, has really supported an increase in the number of surveilance cameras, especially since Chicago has had a pretty rough Summer with all of the shootings. Makes no difference to me; in fact, I think its a good idea. There are, however, quite a number of folks that squawk about their Rights and the matter of personal privacy. I understand that London, per capita, is suppose to have the single highest number of cameras in the World. How do the folks in London deal with that sort of surveilance? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

13. BlueDot

BlueDot New Member

Two thugs break into your house. You pick up your shotgun. BAGOOOSH! Both of them fall down wondering where most of their chest went. Call the cops before they stink up the joint what with the decomposition.

:topic:

I came into this thread hoping that it would be all about Equilibrium style Gun-Kata. :(

14. Bruce W Sims

Personally, I like the idea of a shotgun, as, though I live alone, were I to share my digs with another person, I would not want collateral damage from my .357 shooting through walls. This is where I get curious about these little revolvers that load .410 shells. Even if they are loaded fer snake, close-up it would be sufficient to ruin somebody's day and maybe even cancel a check or two. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

15. JKDJoe

JKDJoe Valued Member

That would deserve its own thread! :hat:

16. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Just thought I would bring this to your attention given that you are in Seattle.

http://www.cascadiatactical.com/

They are a training facility that regularly uses Simunitions in their civilian classes.