Firearm Training and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by jkdlifer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Maybe in my next life... or after the apocalypse.

2. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Things have gotten more strict though. I trained in the early 1990s and we did simulation training. Sometimes the instructors were law enforcement or military. One instructor was in the FBI, I recall. Back then I had to go through a background check and have concealed and carry weapon permit. Plus the courses were not cheap. Maybe three hundred a course but a lot of that was in paying for ammo.

There were people training out in the woods doing the same type of training probably without need of any background checks. I think where things are more strict is if you are training "out in the woods" these days, FBI probably may be checking you out.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you're strictly looking for home defense a shotgun is a worthy choice. Easy to learn how to use, easy to maintain, easy to find, more accurate under stress ("point and shoot" in close quarters), intimidation value is high, and does not require a lot of jumping through hoops to purchase. The NRA offers a basic shotgun course which is pretty darn good and would be a good stepping stone.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

For training with "live fire", you want no trigger guard or a very large trigger guard or else you get broken fingers.

I found out that most of the disarms I trained with twenty years ago lead to an AD in live fire training. One of the new ones I was taught jsut a few years ago actually uses your balistic body armor to aid in the disarm and if the firearm goes off, it hits your vest instead of some innocent bystander or your foot.

I'm not sure what LEOs are training these days, I'm so out of it. But I do know that collatoral damage is a bigger concern these days.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Get offline and attack!

7. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

lol I live in a relatively safe neighborhood guys but that's just it. Criminals typically don't go rob and invade the poor in the projects. I can show you plenty of videos of house cameras that have caught home invasions with multiple assailants, all armed and by armed, I don't mean cross bows! lol

The fact of the matter is that I'd like to be over prepared and never have to use any of my training, than be under prepared and overwhelmed if God forbid the situation arises.

Throughout my JKD training we had a saying: "A lifetime of preparation for seconds of execution."

We trained for just about every situation you can think of. Anything from fighting multiple attackers, to fighting on your back, to being bum-rushed and ambushed. The way I see it, firearm training should be no different.

I sincerely thank you all for your words of advice. I have a lot to think about.

8. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Thanks for that Kuma. I've been considering that too. A shotgun will get the job done if God forbid you need to use it. Not to mention it is not too harsh on the wallet!

9. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

lol I don't live in Somalia! I live in a "safe" gated community but as we all know by now, criminals target nice areas too don't they? My in-laws live in a very nice part of town with plenty of police officers that live there and have recently experienced record break-ins in the past few months. Luckily no one has been hurt but it's a sure fire sign that burglars don't discriminate.

Call me paranoid but I like the idea of being overly prepared than regretting it when it's too late.

I feel very confident in my hand to hand training and knife training but lets face it, if someone breaks into your home in the middle of the night, chances are they're not looking for a fist fight.They're most likely carrying a gun these days.

10. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

What do you actually cover on those firearms training (whatever they are called) courses?

I guess it's more than shooting targets.

I'm quite interested in doing one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  11. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Hi Boris.

Well I haven't taken a course like that yet but I have a friend that teaches one. He told me that they cover different situations like being ambushed, escalating confrontations, shooting from your back, shooting in dimly lit areas, seeking proper cover, etc.

It definitely is more than just target practice. It's training for real life situations and it already has a proven track record with it's participants.

It's more tactical training than anything else.

12. Bigmikey

My friend, if someone REALLY wants what you have, they're going to get it. I hate to break it to you. The reason? A good man will stop at evil. An evil man will stop at nothing. Have you considered that by arming yourself against those multiple attackers you may very well ARM THEM? Should you be overwhelmed and subdued - not out of the question, now they have your weapon, AND they're ****ed.

If someone breaks into your home, the best bet, is to gather your family into one room if possible, barricade the door and call 911 as fast and furiously as your fingers will let you.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

My wife knows to do that. She lets me go do the hunting.

(And yes, I practice clearing my home with the lights off regularly. Kuma's a bit out there...)

14. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'll chime in about tactical firearm courses.

The good ones also cover much of the legal aspects as well as safety and how to avoid collateral damage.

Very few if any courses cover adequately the psychological aspects. A firearm is a responsibility. A firearm can become a crutch instead of a tool.

A firearm is only good if you have it in hand.

Tactical shotgun and use of any "long" firearm in tactical situations is different than tactical pistol or submachine gun.

Most courses cover the importance of communication.

Firearm courses are expensive.

15. Bigmikey

Out there or ridiculously forward thinking?? ;)

16. ChrisJ

ChrisJ New Member

My wife would grab her ruger and go to our son, calling 911. I Would be clearing the house. We have a plan worked out and we practice it.

17. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

That's one of the issues I have with doing the course. Also, not being a citizen (permanent resident, EU and all that) I doubt I can even own a handgun...so maybe it's pointless me doing a course.

Interesting though!

18. JKDbyNik

JKDbyNik Valued Member

jkdlifer....firearms training in my opinion is an absolute must have. Not just standing at a target line and shooting holes in paper...but more tactical training as well. You must be able to move and shoot, understand conceal/cover, speed reloading, multiple target engagement, etc etc. Most people who are into firearms will definitely hit the range and improve accuracy, but only few will ever properly train with the firearm.

As far as guns in the home, there is a lot to keep in consideration. But here are a few hazards to be aware of....anything that you consider a tool for self defense must be 1) instantly accessible, 2) must be proven reliable 3) you must be able to control collateral damage. If you go by those guidelines, your firearm can't be sitting in some closet or safe upstairs when you need it downstairs! And you don't want too much firepower because of liabilities. Here is what I mean...the avg citizen who keeps a 12 guage shotgun for home defense will keep it with standard buck shot, but buckshot will travel thru 8 interior walls and 2 exterior walls. That means if you miss, or a part of the spread misses then you are responsible for each projectile...even the one's that will travel thru a couple walls injuring/killing someone in the next room, or even the next door home. So shotguns aren't the wise choice. For my home defense firearms...all ammo is 1) hollow point 2) frangible 3) low velocity. Choose your firearm according to your lifestyle and environment. Kids? Roommates? Will the wife be using it?

Also, there are given rules/laws that allow you to fire a firearm on someone...but know the laws. Here in the U.S....the first thing almost every state says is "Suspect has to provide unquestionable evidence of grievous bodily harm." That means if someone breaks in your house and steals your TV in front of you, you cannot shoot them. But if they attack you with a weapon...you can do what you need to do. Know the difference between property crime, and personal crime.

As a JKD instructor, and Tactical Firearms Instructor I will tell you that learning proper life saving tactics for firearms is no different than learning JKD or anything else. It takes practice, and time!!! In my opinion, always learn every other step as well...hand to hand, ground fighting, edged weapons, along with firearms.

Best of luck!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  19. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Thanks JKDbyNik.

What you said makes a whole lot of sense to me and I've considered a lot of the factors that you've brought up. If/when I do get a firearm I want to work towards mastering the weapon much like I have in JKD. Not to say that I'm a master but the work ethic and the mentality that goes with it is what I mean. "Sharpening the tool" as they say.

I would want to be a student of the tactical aspects of firearms training and not someone who owns a gun and goes to the range once in a while. To me that's like buying a pair of boxing gloves but never really learning how to fight.

Thanks for the words of advice. They are much appreciated.

20. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

I appreciate your input Bigmikey and you bring up some valid points. There is always the chance that you will lose the fight especially when there are multiple attackers and a gun in the wrong hands can definitely make matters worse. However, I would not use my weapon to clear a house. Much like what you said, my plan would be to barricade my family in a safe room and dial 911. I am not interested in protecting my television or electronics in that situation. Let them have it. However, if the door to the safe room is somehow opened by the intruder(s), there will be grave consequences as a result.

The unfortunate facts are that some "bad guys" aren't interested in your money or your electronics. There are some very sick people out there my friend.

In response to your point: "A good man will stop at evil. An evil man will stop at nothing."

While that may be true in some instances I'd like to bring up a very old and wise tale about the rabbit and the fox.

A zen master and his student were watching a fox chase a rabbit.
    The Zen Master said, “who will win?”
    The student replied, “Master, of course the fox will win, he is much faster than the rabbit and has sharp teeth.”
    “No” replied the master. “The rabbit will win. The fox is running for a meal. The rabbit is running for his life.”