Firearm Training and Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by jkdlifer, Sep 10, 2012.

1. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and I'd like to bring up a topic that has been plaguing my mind for quite some time now. Please forgive me if it has already been brought up in the past.

I have trained in Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do for several years and it has become a part of me. I would like to think that if a situation arose I would be able to defend myself and my family proficiently. However, recently the topic of getting trained with a firearm has been running through my mind.

Although I've trained in various knife, sword, and stick weapons, I've never trained with a firearm. I feel as though I probably should at least have a firearm at home "just in case".

I'd like to hear what you all have to say on the topic.

I thank you for your thoughts in advance.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hi there!

Firearm trainingshould form part of EVERYONE'S training (assuming you are training for SD of course). Sijo himself was an avid firearm enthusiast.

Having one at home "just in case" is not a good idea unless you intend to train with it regularly IMO. Otherwise it can be just as much a threat to you and to your loved ones as it is to the offender.

Simmunition training is a good way to get exposure - or at least "find teh cuase of yoru ignorance"!

Where do you trainout of interest?

3. ChrisJ

ChrisJ New Member

NRA has some good courses

4. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. It is much appreciated.

I agree with Hannibal about the "just in case" scenario. What I meant was, if I am in a situation where I cannot defend my family with my JKD training then I would resort to the firearm. I probably should have cleared that up a bit from the beginning.

If indeed I do get a firearm, much like in JKD, my goal is to be as proficient with it as I possibly can. I agree with you that it would not be a great idea to have a firearm and not be properly trained on how to use one. That could be a recipe for disaster.

My biggest dilemma is trying to incorporate my JKD into firearms training. I don't want to become good at one and neglect the other. I want them to become a part of me much like my training in JKD.

Also, Hannibal, I have come across a little information about Sijo and his firearms but I was not convinced it was a credible source. I would love to read more about this if you have any info.

And thanks for the heads up ChrisJ on the NRA training. I will look into it!

Thanks again to you both!

P.S. I train in Miami, Florida at Unified Martial Arts Academy

5. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I am NOT a fan of firearms in the home. But if one feels its necessary, I say shotgun.

Firstly, the reported number of people shooting themselves with shotguns vs pistols is ridiculously less. For home defense a bullet has a far better chance of fatally shooting your loved ones asleep in their rooms should you miss. While buckshot MAY still injure them, its far less likely to be fatal. Thats important.

Shotguns have more knock-down power than many hand guns. In home defense thats a big deal. A 12 gauge shell can put 9 .33 caliber pellets into an intruder with just a single trigger squeeze.

Also, if you purchase a youth-sized shotgun they are cheaper, smaller, more easily maneuverable if moving from room to room, and will make it possible for, say, the wife to learn how to use it as well as any teens in the home. Making sure everyone knows how to handle the firearm is essential to ensuring proper firearm safety.

Personally, I say get a cross bow and be done with it. Silent, just as deadly at 5 yards (roughly the distance down a hall, or across a room) can come with laser sights and are really REALLY hard to shoot yourself with when cleaning them.

6. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Thanks BigMikey.

I haven't been a fan of firearms either but recent events in my surrounding neighborhood have made me think twice.

I have looked into shotguns as well as a potential solution but I have not made a decision as to whether or not to go with a pistol or a shotgun.

I do however like the crossbow idea! There's just one issue with that. If God-forbid you're in a home invasion attempt with armed assailants, a cross bow wouldn't be of much use in my opinion.

Thanks for the input!

7. Bigmikey

Why not? A bolt in the neck or a bullet... whats the difference? If they'll bring down a 300 pound deer at 50 yards, they'll do a damn bit of damage to a lightly clothed crackhead at 15.

8. wingchunapprent

wingchunapprent Banned Banned

I would think were it legal, a semi automatic shotgun, with short barrel and a pistol grip.
    No short cycling with the pump, massivley intimidating, and fairly reliable.

9. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

How about a pistol which holds .410 shotgun shells I saw these a while ago http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm we arent allowed pistols in the UK and shotguns have to be kept in a gun safe out of sight.

10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Pumps are dead reliable but some semis are just as good these days, I had a benelli m2 that was truly amazing and never missed a beat and would cycle any make of cartridge.

11. Bigmikey

12. Bigmikey

13. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'm pretty sure simmunitions are unavailable outside of LEO and military here Hannibal. Someone please correct me if they know of any loopholes though.

14. wingchunapprent

wingchunapprent Banned Banned

The problem with the pump aint it jamming as such, its cold, sweaty, scared just been woken by a bump in the night hands, but the judge pistols that do .410 also fire 45 long.
    I would think a double barrel 12 would be better.
    I keep a bat by the bed, a telescopic baton near the door, and a balisong on my desk.

15. jkdlifer

jkdlifer New Member

Thanks for the info BigMikey. What I meant was if you have several armed assailants a cross bow might be difficult as you will have to fire multiple times.

I am intrigued though...

16. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What kind of area do you live in? Unless you live in Somalia or are worried about SWAT I don't think that's going to be a common situation to prepare for!

17. Bigmikey

AAAHhhh... well, thats different. Do you live someplace where roving bands of marauding criminals routinely break into houses en mass? :D Here in Illinois its usually 1 or 2 guys with a .22 between them.

One final point for a crossbow, you can retrieve bolts. You cant retrieve bullets.

Imagine this: You're in your house, drifting off to sleep. A noise brings you fully awake, gets your senses jumping. You grab your crossbow, load a bolt and move out into the house. Peering through the night vision sniper site you see two intruders slowly climbing the stairs. You duck into the bathroom, peer around the doorjam, aim and 'TTTTTHHHHOOK" a bolt lodges in the neck of one of the intruders. He lets out with a gurgling cry, clutches his throat and tumbles backward down the stairs. His friend, thoroughly spooked pops off a round into the darkness. The refrigerator will never be the same, but thats of little consequence. You raise your re-loaded crossbow, aim and "TTTTHHHHHOOOK"

Time to reclaim your ammo and call the cops for body removal.

'nuff said.

Unless you want to have one of those cool movie shootouts where couch cushions are bullet proof and 4 guys in a 20 x 20 room can pop off 80 rounds and not hit anything but furniture. In THAT case you absolutely need a gun or else it just wont be as much fun. :D

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Next up:

"By the way, I sell high quality crossbows if you're interested! CrossofMikey.bow if you're interested!"

You sound like you're doing a write up : P!

19. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

For those that do live where "marauding criminals routinely break into houses en mass", the chances are they are breaking in to steal your firearms or drugs.

Don't advertise online.

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can train under sim conditions even if you are a civvy - my very good friend John Riddle offers courses in Florida covering this. Hock does too I believe

You can always use paintball or airsoft too