Finding Instruction?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by humble student, Sep 18, 2005.

1. humble student

humble student Valued Member

What do you do, when you can not find an instructor willing to work with a disabled person? I use a cane and have a birth defect of my right arm? Looking for Hapkido or Kungfu type of instruction have done Jujitsu and Tang Soo Do.

John Runer

2. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

Itll help us if we know the if you are looking within a general region. I suggest google conveniently located at http://www.google.com

3. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Cheers clemson

John, if you don't want your location public - please PM me and I will see what I can find for you - I have a few contacts that may be able to help :)

4. humble student

I live in a suburb of Pocatello Idaho, called Chubbuck. I have met only a few instructors and have one MCDojo and one that is worse. I have a green belt in Jujitsu and orange in an Eclectic Style called Combo. I have practiced some type of matial at since I was 13. I have gone through a lot of Bruce Tegner books and a few teach yourself Karate books. Open to all suggestions. I mainly practice self defense, but I do enjoy sparring.

John Runer

5. Melanie

OK, let me have a look - I'll get back as soon as I can if I find some one :)

6. Melanie

Have you spoken to North Idaho College John?

They have A.B.L.E.

As below:

President: Mary Duram 208-769-7713
    Advisor: Sharon Daniels-Bullock [Sharon_Daniels-Bullock@nic.edu] 208-769-7794

A.B.L.E. stands for Accessability and Learning Equality, and is an open to any interested NIC students. The club was created to provide social and emotional support for disabled students, to provide student advocacy to ensure and promote the development of the NIC policy regarding educational rights and fairness in accessability and to promote awareness and sensitivity relating to disability issues at NIC. The club meetings are once a month. A schedule of meeting times is announced at each meeting and is posted in the Disability Support Services Office in Kildow Hall.

They also have a Martial Arts Club! You could always give them a ring and see what contacts they may have?

Also have a word with Idaho Dept of Health & Welfare They may have a listing some where of confirmed disabled halls that do MA also?

Finally, speak to The Cooperative Wilderness Handicapped Outdoor Group (C.W. HOG)

On this web page they provide several outdoor activities AND martial arts.

Just suggestions to get started with. :)

7. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Sometimes, the best instructors are not advertised and don't have official schools, so a bit of detective work may be in order since you are in a small townl.

8. humble student

Thanks. I will do some more detective work. I am also going to place an ad in the paper when I get my next disability payment.

Thanks
    John runer

9. Clay Johnson

Clay Johnson Valued Member

I had the same problem 22 years ago finding someone willing to teach me. I found my first karate teacher by chance. After all that looking and teachers saying no we can't or don't teach the handicapped and now I have instructorships in 4 different martial arts. Keep looking you will find the right instructor for you. Good Luck!!
    Clay Johnson