Finally got my bench form down nicely!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Mar 21, 2006.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Holy crap! I'm so proud of myself! I FINALLY found my groove with the bench press. After a month or two of messing around, I've finally found my groove! I've found that benching P-lifter style for lack of a better term (elbows in tight, arch in the back, drive with the legs, scapular retraction, and a tight grip and butt) has really really helped. When I found just the right spot for the groove, the weight was going up nice and controlled in my EDT PR zone. Much easier and more controlled than it was before.

It's amazing what an adjustment here and an adjustment there can do to help with a lift. Next, I need to perfect my front squats, which I just started.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled MAP threads. :D

[/end ego stroking] :cool:

Edit: Since when have I had 1000+ posts? :confused: O isn't this a night of surprises?? LOL!

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Well . . . . how much are you benching/working out with now?!

3. GhostOfYourMind

Well, I was sticking to my prescribed weight of 135 (which flew up freakishly easily today, I could have done 140 or 145 in my PR zone I felt) until I hit 45 reps in my PR zone, which will be wednesday, so I'll be doing 140 next monday (third week of EDT). Considering this is my first "serious" training cycle with a decent diet and caloric intake after surgery, I'm surprising myself.:D

Technique really seems to be half the battle in lifting when you first start, heh.

4. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Now all you need is a shirt. ;)

5. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I need to get mine sorted, I'll just do reps using what I think is right, then suddenly I'll start the next set inadvertently in a slightly different position obviously, and the weight is significantly easier to lift. :confused: Now if I could only get in that position all the time I'll be laughing. :cry:

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

T-shirt? :Angel:

7. GhostOfYourMind

When can I expect my shirt to be in the mail from you?:D:D;)

Another TKD Guy- It will come. I had the same problem, and last night, I just "learned" and "felt" where I needed to be. You'll get the hang of it once you can kinda "memorize" that position I suppose. :)

8. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Only if it's a T-Nation shirt because you will then look teh strong and hawt!!1!! Oh, and their new shirts are created with nano-dispersed technology that releases massive amounts of testosterone on your concentric portion of the lift allowing you to be both 478% more anabolic than using steroids.

9. GhostOfYourMind

HELLZ YEAHZ; I am teh 1337! Sign me up!:D :p

10. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Half the time it's not a different position, it's the increased neural drive from the last set giving you the ability to go a bit harder hence why you can't truly max out straight away. You have to find your optimal rest periods etc. to find how to use this kind of effect.

11. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Practice practice and more practice. You'll get even better. I only started improving my squats recently and now I wonder how much I can really squat

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I wondered what it was, I'd always found my second set to be the one I can lift most!

And the grip, assuming all the rings markings on olympic bars are the same(?) I have my little finger around the mark. So a slightly narrower grip than most people. As you've said before, its the optimal and safest method when your upper arms are parallel to the ground at the bottom of the press.