Films that were better than the Books

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Pretty In Pink, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Speaking of Stephen King, as I understand it, HE thought that Frank Darabont's ending to the film "The Mist" was better than the ending that he (King) wrote for the novelette. Personally, Darabont's ending made me want to drink myself to death. Not because it was bad. It was a very effective ending, but way, way too nihilistic for me.
    At the end of King's story, the outcome is uncertain, but there's hope. At the end of Darabont's version, overall there's hope, but on a personal level, it's Scorched Earth.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Are you talking about the classic cartoon us older people grew up with or the Jim Carrey flick?

Oh good point. Kids films!

Shrek!!! Shrek was much better than the original picture book!

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I laughed at that film. It was hilarious.

They are very very different. Different time-era, different character (Bourne is complex and unsure in the book), *Spoiler* Marie doesn't die, Conklin actually helps Bourne and DOESN'T die.

Which reminds me, Train Spotting and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. ;)

And in your next post complain about Life of Brian being too preachy :p

A lot of people calling out LOTR series too. I can't agree. They are on par for me. If you say the extended editions then I'd say the films *might* be better. You have to remember though that the films are so detailed only because of the amount of depth that Tolkien put into Middle Earth.

4. caveman

caveman Threadkiller

Best ones have already been said. Godfather one and 2 made great art from trash, The Lord Of The Rings trilogy also. The book is several hundred pages longer than it needs to be and gets to be a bit of a slog.

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Oh, I wouldn't call it trash; I actually quite enjoyed it when I read it but the movie's miles better.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Jason and the argonauts(1963,animation by Ray Harryhausen)brought to life what were
    some fairly dry Greek classics.

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Get outta here!

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'm reading The Wanderers at the moment. I might give the DVD a spin after and see which I prefer. I believe Warriors is biased on a book too, might do the same with that.

A film that is clearly better than the book...Deliverance.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Twilight.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lol. i take issue with "dry", as a greek and a reader. i love greek mythology. what's "dry" about it usually is how the material is presented in school.

have you ever read the iliad or the odyssey? that stuff is da bomb.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh, that reminds me. 'Troy' was better than the Iliad.

12. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Off you go!

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I don't think myth is dry, but I loves me some Harryhausen

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm really struggling to think of any film adaptations which were better than the book they were based on. I agree that it does apply to The Godfather, but in fairness the film is VERY different from the book.

I think that the film of Marathon Man is equally as good as the book. It's a very faithful vesion overall - except for the twist at the end. But I'm not certain which ending I actually prefer.

15. ned

ned Valued Member

This would probably get me strung up by the literary world but Oliver!(1968)starring
    amongst others Ron Moody,Oliver Reed,Harry Secombe,Mark Lester ,Leonard Rossiter with music by Lionel Bart is at least as dark and brutal as the book,certainly the best of the screen adaptions.

16. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It's not hard to make a Dickens book better, his stuff is so bloody painful to read!!

17. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Do comic books, magazines count? i love all the latest Marvel movies.

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Aye, it took me forever to think of one, but I got it: Disney's "Mary Poppins" is better than the book, or, actually, books, as there are more than one.

19. aaradia

:ban:

Troy was an affront to one of the greatest pieces of literature EVER!

Gross oversimplifications of the complexities of the story. Basically, dumbed down.

20. aaradia

Or dry is a result of poor translations.

I remember buying a cheap version of one of the plays a few years ago. The very same thing that was brilliant with a better translation came off very poorly in the cheap version.

I am a big fan of the Richmond Lattimore translations myself. Those are the ones I own.