Filipino Kuntaw

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by kuntaoer, Apr 15, 2013.

1. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

WHAT IS KOON-TAO?
    KOON-TAO is an ancient Chinese form of Martial Arts which originated about 3,500 years ago in southern costal province of Fukien China. It is a Chinese style of boxing practiced by Taoist priests of Shaolin Temple. This was brought and introduced by the Chinese traders and merchants in the southern part of the Philippines, adopted by the native Filipinos during the early parts of the 10th century.This was derived from Chinese word means KUNG-FU, fighting with empty hand, a traditional Chinese boxing. This was taken from the name of Confucius (Kung-Fu-Tzu), a well known Chinese Philosopher whom LI ERH, LAU TZU(old master), a great mentor of china who learned from the ethical teaching of CONFUCIUS emphasizing devotion to human relation, cultivation of mind, self-control and social justice. He was best known throughout the world for his aphorism. While LI ERH, (LAU-TZU) believed that the importance of life is to follow the law of nature- TAO, the way. It creates something valuable to make a good human relationship with others in order to serve with moral purpose.
    KUNG –FU is an ancient Chinese Martial Arts. KUNG means accomplishment, while FU Is effort. In general actual Chinese term for Martial Arts is so-called WU SHU, denotes militaristic training for self-defense and bravery. Wu means militaristic, while SHU is techniques. Wu Shu (wu su) known as WU KUNG is also called MARTIAL KUNG-FU, the National Sport of People's Republic of China.
    In English variation, KOON-TAO derives from the combination of the words KO, boxing to knockout. ON, performing a highest level of competence: and TAO is personality. Therefore KOON-TAO means one performing a punishing and brutal combat-oriented art characterized by tearing and breaking while executing a combination of hard and soft movement as in SUI NIM TAO, the science of in-fighting concentrating more on fighting techniques rather than plain exhibitionism. Hence, it is a superb counterpart of MUAY THAI, Thailand’s style of fierce boxing.
    Likewise, in KOON-TAOISM, KO means my or mine, ON is self or own. While TAO as defined by LI ERH (LAU TZU), the founder of TAOISM, is an internal spirit of righteousness, hence the real meaning of KOON-TAO is one possessing an internal spirit of righteousness. In Filipino language “MAKA-TAO” a person of virtuous character. According to the philosophical point of view of Taoism, the ontological elements of all universal beings existed before the universe was born. Hence, TAO is eternal. It is not a supernatural force but an ultimate principle of the universe. The prime elements from which everything is created. The literal translation of TAO is “way” or “path”. From the Chinese scientific point of view, TAO stands on the solid ground of the existence of the Universe. This is composed of two polar forces, the Yin, the negative force or passive force and the Yang, the positive energy or active force. They are called TAO. While Chi is the energetic force of TAO, the basis for internal power. Based on I CHING, the first written book of wisdom, KUNG-FU (CHUNG FU) is central sincerity the symbol of truth. KUNG-FU may be represented in English by "Inmost Sincerity." It denotes the highest quality of man , and gives its possessor power so that he prevails with spiritual being, a perfection of morale.
    KOON-TAO (KUNG-FU) is a Shaolin Temple boxing. Toist priests sacredly respected the system because of its philisophical foundation for being peaceful and non-offensive. The ancient traditional KOON-TAO Chinese boxing art is a defensive fighting. The mastery of training is the great teacher of morals,dignity,patience,humility and respect. Its inner essence of the principle is the way to preserve than to destroy. Therefore, this martial art is only for self-defense and not to create premeditated violence.
    KUNG-FU has no definitive meaning due to its vastness and diversity of the art systems, but an specific Chinese martial art developed about three thousand years ago. “ The flower of Chinese culture.” KOON-TAO is Kung-Fu, the original martial art system of KUNTAW.
    KOON-TAOISM is not a religion but a philosophy of virtues and human moral values. KOON means TEMPLE. TAO means WAY. Therefore the practice of KOON-TAOISM is the way to a sacred place where spiritual, mental and physical discipline horned: and human moral virtues are presented, so that the TAO- way of life may be properly acquired by means of individual pursuits for holiness. In KOON-TAO spiritual philosophy, during the ancient era, this martial arts was never taught to anybody except those Filipinos who belong to royal families devoted to ethical teachings that embody much of the characteristics of traditional ideas and beliefs of spiritual discipline. It concentrates on the principle of stillness and calm, consideration and understanding, humility and respect. The physical manifestation of the theories of KOON-TAOISM emphasizes the importance of power and strength not for killing and destruction but for preservation of life that strength and power could be used only as a final measure for preserving and defending oneself when threatened. The KOON-TAO practitioners always remember the LAU TZU's thought:" There is nothing under heaven more soft and yielding than water. Yet nothing can equal water's strength.Hard and resistant things can find no way of damaging it.The weak overcome the strong; the gentle overcome the violent." But in actual fighting situation, KOON-TAO FILKICKBOXERS are more on offensive techniques than to be defensive in order to win the fight.
    Because of the physical manifestation of KOON-TAO and the principles from spiritual aspect, KOON-TAO is not therefore an ordinary martial arts of self-defense. In the general precept of physical philosophy of KOON-TAOISM, it refreshes the mind and revitalizes the body of man in healthy posture. The principle of life should be made to portray man as strong and healthy, noble, honorable and dignified being.
    All KOON-TAO martial arts practitioners should possess sound physical and spiritual qualities attuned to the grand design, will and purpose of the Infinite Intelligence – the ALMIGHTY.
    In ancient traditional system, KOON-TAO is much concerned in perfecting forms and techniques by executing graceful dances which are applicable and effective for actual fighting situation. This system was synthesized with other Indo-Malaysian arts of self-defense like PENCAK-SILAT that such combination of techniques are acquired from the characteristic movements of a creeping leopard, flicking kicks of an stallion elusive reflexes movement of a monkey , while wide-awake slowly stepping and jumping quickly like a tiger; and staring as an eagle-eyes.

By: ANTONIO CEA VILLAREAL, SR.
    KOON-TAO INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION, INC. (KIFI
    Founder & President
    KOON-TAO FILKICKBOXING
    Grand Mentor

KUNG-FU has no definitive meaning due to its vastness and diversity of the art systems, but an specific Chinese martial art developed about three thousand years ago. “ The flower of Chinese culture.” KOON-TAO is Kung-Fu, the original martial art system of KUNTAW

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So, what's the relation between this "koontao," the "kuntao" of, say, Willem de Thouars, and the "kuntaw" of Carlito Lanada?

3. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Lanada Kuntaw changed from the original teachings that I was taught in the early 70s when they decided to incorporate the harder styles of karate to make it more competitive in local tournaments.. Kuntao silat from the dethouars is something that I have no experience in, so I prefer not to make any comparision due to past disagreements between his group and myself as I have also trained in other systems of Kuntao in Taiwan and the Philippines..

This article I posted came from one of the original kuntao/Koon tao practitioners who was with the original Maharlika Kuntaw group until the incorporation of the harder and linear martial arts of Karate..

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Just to confuse you further, kuntao silat in mindanao uses the bladework of Filipino Silat and the empty hands of traditional Kun Tao. Supposedly developed pre-hispanic when the sultanates used to trade with China.

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The plot thickens. :)

6. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Did you write this? At any rate, I'm going to need some citations. For starters, we're talking about a Taoist system that originated about eleven centuries before the Tao Te Ching was written, practiced by Taoist priests at a Buddhist temple.

7. itwasntme

itwasntme Valued Member

Nope. Kung fu literally translates to "skill achieved through hard work".

Could you please provide a link or direct us to the original article, for the sake of posterity?

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Seems like a fair request

9. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

10. shootodog

Just to add to more confusion, the original kun tao that mindanao's kuntao silat is based on is from the sea faring han chinese and the southern states such as canton and fukkien. Is is the kuntao of wudan? I have no idea. What I can say is that from what I have seen, it looks pretty cool.

BTW, there are no taoists in shaolin. Shaolin is a buddhist temple. Maybe you are thinking of the temple at Mount Wudan. That is a taoist temple.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It says KT originated about 3500 years ago-doesn't state when the Taoists from the Buddhist temple took it up.

Kuntaoer didn't write it,see post #3.

Well,the historical parts are the usual type of historically inaccurate martial tales,not unlike the stories of so many CMAs.

I guess the writings on the ideals,outlook,cosmic overview,etc of the system are the reasons to read the article,in spite of oddities such as Yin & Yang - "They are called TAO."

12. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

This is just one interpetition of filipino kuntao/kuntaw.. I have been a instructor of both the chinese and filipino kuntao systems for close to 40yrs since I started teaching it in 1975. As typical for anything with the FMA, the history is usually oral and is told as one individual remembers it.. In the Lanada Kuntaw system, the history changed at least 5 times since I left the organization in 1995.. When I studied Lanada Kuntaw in the Philippines, we were called Maharlika Kuntaw Kungfu, it was in the late 70s when the kungfu reference was dropped and we were called Maharlika Kuntaw.

In the original teachings and history of Kuntaw under the Lanada banner, we were told that Kuntaw was taught as a Tausug art from Mindanao.. Needless to say over the years, the tausug reference was dropped after serious scrutiny by senior practitioners who were heavily into researching the system. As an individual who studied in the Philippines and having access to several reputable sources from outside the Lanada system, a lot of the claims were researched and disputed in both open and private forums..

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  13. shootodog

Hmmmm...tausug shipring silat and kuntao...would look very very interesting.

14. lawin

lawin Valued Member

Anybody familiar with a kuntao teacher named edwin renonos?