Filial Responsibility? or Giving back?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

As you'll notice, the first word in my sentence was "if." :D

But, I actually did have 2 students who only wanted private lessons and who paid me that much for an eclectic curriculum that included fma. One was my size, and the other guy was 3 inches taller and literally twice as heavy as me. One was an academic into medieval warfare and the other a bouncer and collector in one of my cousin's after-hours joints. Neither had much coordination so you can imagine the punishment I took. I got paid $110/hour to teach taiji at a phsyio and rehab center and all I had to do for that was forms. Ah, those were the days.... :Angel:

2. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I'm sorry if if I'm coming across as "holier-than-thou". My heavy-handed writing style sometimes has all the subtlety of a Visayan escrimador. Fact is I have nothing but admiration for David F, Pat O'Malley, Krys, Yoda and all of the other non-Filipinos who've dedicated so much to the FMA. I just wish some of my friends and family here would show even just a hint of that enthusiasm. One of the things that really gets me depressed here is seeing people plan their future life overseas. They don't see any future here. I really can't blame most of them, life is very unsure and difficult here. Getting back to the topic of this thread, fma is one possible avenue for good livelihood for people who otherwise wouldn't be given a chance. If Filipinos aren't willing to support our grandmasters, thank goodness, the fma is supported by people from other countries who see its merit. If eco-tourism is one way to enjoy the Philippines' natural splendor, then fma-martial arts tourism is another way. It's a term I remember bro Bayani using years ago. I don't think it should carry any negative connotations. Everybody has differing degrees of committment to the art. Tourism introduces you to countries and cultures. Whatever committment you want to show after that is up to you. But every little bit helps.

3. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Hear , Hear !! well said Diego! There is no Holier than thou, I have always enjoyed our conversations, Your writings have always been very well recieved in other forums as well. I was just teasing about the teaching in Canada knowing we both study under the same instructor. we missed you at this summer's camp!

4. krys

krys Valued Member

Isn't $1000-$2000 is a bit expensive for a ticket from Europe to Manila?
    It isn't too difficult nowadays to get those for 600 euros....

A few years ago it was $600 for a flight from Paris to Manila. $5 an hour, 4 hours a day->$20 for training, then accomodation+food+transportation:$30, 30 days+ticket->$2100. Twice a year:$4200...

It wasn't that easy to raise that amount while still studying, there were other bills to pay for too.....actually very little money was left for something else...

Concerning poverty I think I've seen it all: doing social work in payatas and living among poor farners in Mindanao shows you aspects of the Philippines very few foreigners and even middle class filipinos will ever see....

Right now I could give far more than 5$ an hour.... but things didn't change between me and my master because I got a well paying job, our relationship isn't based on money..... I still give the same amount. This doesn't mean my duties to my master stop there.... if his familly needs money I help, and the day he will be too old to work I still will support them, this goes beyond martial art... it is my filial responsability.

Mabuhay.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You would be surprised!!!

This all depends on the time of year you fly from the UK July to the end of September is our peak flying time (even thought the airlines don't realise you guys are starting to get typhoons around this time) and the airlines charge us more for thie expeariance of flying on packed aircraft. At this time of year you can pay anything from £600 - $900 (cheap) to £1200 - $1700 for a return flight to the P.I. at other times of the year like January you may pay as little as £500 - $700 but this depends on weather you are willing or even know about shopping around, if you don't know about shopping around and go through a travel agaent you can easily pay £1000 - $1500. But this is besides the point, even if you get a flight for $2 why should the GM's be forced to charge $5 per hour when us Tourists as they say are more than willing to pay another person at home 10 times this for a private lesson and chances are the instructor does not even know were the Philippines are let alone been there.

I have been to Labangon, Tisa, Tondo and other places many times in the Philippines and I know what you are saying, you have my deepest respects for what you are doing.

I can too and try to when allowed to. On many occasions I am not aloud to because my instructors in the Philippines consider me to be more than just a freind, but I manage to pay in other ways and would pay without question if I was required to, after all How much is their knowledge realy worth, yes it is priceless. I charge a minimal fee for my regular classes at home, but I charge a lot more for private one to one training, after all my old bones take longer to heal you know. :)

Mabuhay.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004