fighting chain...

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by kenpoguy, Aug 31, 2004.

1. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

I recently picked up a short ninjitsu fighting chain. More specifically to clarify for those who are unable visualize this, it is about a 16" long chain with two weighted ends in the shapes of spearheads. After picking it up I must say I did not really like the feel of it and thought it to be much more dangerous than the chinese version of the sectionized chain. After "playing" with it however, I slowly began to enjoy using it. Although still not nessesarily my favorite weapon, it definetly has its strong points if one can learn to use it properly. Was just wondering if anyone out there has had previous experience in using this and has any suggestions or informatoin aobut it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have been forced to teach myself thsi weapon.(and nearly at the cost of my own teeth may i add :D ) :bang:

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Are you talking about a kusari fundo? Also known as a manrikikusari? What are you doing with it that you almost lost some teeth? Try to visualize it as a rigid weapon instaed of a flexible one. Practice throwing one end while retaining the other end.

3. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Good you have a Massaki/Toda Ryu-Ha like chain.

Remember this chain is a concealable weapon. Try concealing it on your body and in your hand.

This is my favorite weapon. It flexible and concealable. Is good for stirking and grappling. Lastly, its strikes can easily disarm by breaking the hand or kill by striking the head.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  4. bostonninja

bostonninja New Member

This weapon is a great ally due to the fact that it has so many use's.
    My school uses this weapon to "tie" people up with, more then using it like a failling weapon. Swinging it randomly is nice, and works well, but chances are you will be using a weapon in a closed in space, hallway, bathroom, forrest. And the chain willl not be able to swing as freely.
    With that said, use the weight of the chain to guide you. Fighting the naturalness of the weapon will end up hurting you.
    ( Had a friend who knocked himself out for a few min. with bad form :bang: )

Using the chain to trap, and grab limbs is really it's best use, esp. if the attacker already has a weapon.
    On a side note, don't use the chain to "block" an attack, use the chain to guide the attacking limb in another direction.

If you were to hold the Kusari fundo above your head, chain pulled tight, and someone were to "overhead club" at you. At full speed the chain would fold and you would be crushed. Keep that idea in mind as a concept.

Keep studying and have fun.

5. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

The Kasari Fundo is very good weapon for tying up people. But Don't think of striking it as a swinging fail (even though you can) , but a tight striking weapon while unconcealing it or holding the weight in your hand. Also some the best tying up moves comes from striking the arm or neck and letting the chains comes around locking in on itself.

Bostonninja, do you train ninpo in Boston. Cause I have a friend in Boston that wants to start Ninpo. Where do you train? Any details you can gave me about Ninpo Training in Boston.

6. bostonninja

bostonninja New Member

Yes I train in Boston. Their is a really great school right on the edge of the city. www.boston-ninpo.com
    Mark is the head teacher and is a really great guy. Warm and friendly, sorta like a big bear, then he hits you with his amazingly effortless taijitus and your DONE! LOL

I really enjoy training their. I have taken to spending the extra cash to have private lesson from him though and only attend about 2-3 group classes a month.
    The reasoning being is because I like to train hard, I mean really rough! :D and goup class is no place to tain like that. Training will only be as hard as your softest stundent.
    I will say this that we are very welcoming to new people and other stlyes.
    Anything else you want to ask feel free. I think this is one of the best schools I have ever been to.

7. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Cool, that school is only a few blocks from him. Now he just got to get over there. :)
    Can you give me details about the school. Like what do you focus on? A spefic Ryu or weapon? How many People in a class? price? amount of training a week? the type of stuff he might find interesting.

8. RussianNinja

RussianNinja New Member

Im not a big expert on ninjutsu....but I do try to teach myself to be stealthy. I run around areas at night trying to stay unnoticed. The chain would probably be a little noisy. I like carrying a staff around, helps get places. Especially if me and my friend start to spar. Its especially fun to do so around police. The danger of being caught adds to the adrenaline. Does anyone else do stuff like this?

9. bostonninja

bostonninja New Member

Sure I will brag about my school all day long.
    Cost is about $100 a month.
    Mark teaches Koppo first and daken, as a base then adds in more and more.
    This is what I have seen.
    Like I said I take private lessons from him and he teaches me much differntly.
    I just learned some Kukishinden gata.
    I have over 15 years of poir training and thankfully they are with people (differnt styles though) that Mark knows and respects. Even though I am a 9th kyu, I have no real rank as I am taught at a much faster pace and A LOT HARDER!!!
    For instance I am starting to learn rokushakubo shoden kata.
    The group that trains there are nice, and pretty opened minded.
    I think most (not all) train a little soft for me. I like to sweat, I want to hit and get hit. That's how I like to train.
    We do learn Hanbo early on which is nice, and then as you get better more weapon's are introduced.
    There are at classes every day execpt Sunday. There are open classes (which are a blast) and then the classes are broken down into rank.
    So even if he is a white belt he can go to almost 2 classes a day 5-6 days a week! Thats some training!
    Please keep asking questions! I love to talk about MA

10. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Koppojutsu then Dakentaijutsu? that weird. so he does Koto Ryu first?

Kukushinden Ryu DakenTaijutsu Katas are very fun, that just hurt alot, and take a lot of space.

11. bostonninja

bostonninja New Member

Yes,
    Koto Ryu is a our first system, but he tries to add in other systems smoothly, by taking little bits. SO by the time you "start" learning the next system you already have a good feel.