Fighting blind

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by shootodog, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

When I'm Supreme Overlord God-Emporer that lot will be rounded up and shot!

:bang:

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I was doing hubud for the first time recently, I ended up shutting my eyes just to close everything off and focus on my body.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I often zone out during sensitivity drills. No need to close your eyes, just don't look at anything in particular.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

The funny thing is Hubud is not actually a sensitivity drill its an entry drill to bridge the gap between medium to close range. The fact that you are told its a sensitivity drill tricks you into becoming sensitive but the problem then lays when your not in Hubud you subconsciously forget to use your heightened senses.

I could do most any drill at that range and tell you it's a sensitivity drill and if you believe me your brain will gear you to picking up your sensitivity. But all your really doing is getting your brain to recognise the natural senses you already posses but have over the years ignored. Much in the same way closing your eyes or wearing a blindfold does.

Use it as an entry and the drill itself becomes a whole new beast.

The other problem is when some people get so tied up on Hubud being a sensitivity drill they then perform it like pattacake pattacake and the entry aspect of it becomes very weak.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. Pat OMalley

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Quite a lot of hubud into arm bar/dumog stuff here. Kinda long, but there's some nice ideas (IMH noobies O) and shows how hubud can be used as more than a sensitivity drill.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWNlaFBD6A"]Hubud/Dumog[/ame]

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Some people confuse hubud with wingchun stick hands. I guess it's because filipinos look chinese. :bang::hat:

8. Pat OMalley

9. Pat OMalley

Yep I guess. Hahaha. But as we know Hubud is not even similar to sticking hands or Chi Sao. There is a big difference in practice and application.

10. Pat OMalley

Just watched it. Yeah a bit long. But doing Hubud that way all the other stuff off it ain't going to happen.

11. Bozza Bostik

How so?

(I really have no idea).

12. Pat OMalley

If you notice he's not controlling the arm in the first two moves of Hubud only going for the control on the third motion. By that time the hand /arm he is trying to apply the techniques on is already retracting and the other hand is on the way.

The first motion is merely an interruption or deflection. By the second motion you must start to control the attacking limb, balance and position or his second limb is on the way. He's not exactly going to leave his arm out for you. So your control has to be almost immediate. Anything less and its got more chance of failing than working.

Plus he's not controlling the range I.e. shutting his opponent down until the 3rd motion. Again that attacking limb by this time is retracting and the other is on the way.

You have to do one of two things by the second motion. Either upset his balance or prevent the attacking limbs shoulder from rotating back to prevent the other limb from reaching you and to control the attacking limb.

13. Bozza Bostik

Ok, cheers. I'll have to watch it all again and see.

We think we don't do hubud, so I am not to familiar with it. I know the basics.

14. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

watch the Matrix... Neo does it on the 3rd one

15. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yeah. But NEO can still "see" images-the matrix", and after all, he is the ONE

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

He's a bit slow though. Disappointing fight scenes in those movies :(

17. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I thought they were well choreographed though. Not fast, but I guess the idea is that they showed him slower so that later at the end of the first one when he fought the agents it looked that much faster. IDK, it was probably my favorite trilogy ever.

18. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Always felt they should have left it after the first film. I personally found the second and third films to be disappointing, although that's only my opinion.

19. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

20. lawin

lawin Valued Member

Zatoichi