Fighting art(s) for wheelchair users

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Pugil, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Any wheelchair users who would like to get into a very dynamic stick-fighting art should look at the arts of Eskrima (Kali/Arnis) and/or Canne de Combat.

Here's a clip of a guy in a wheelchair sparring with a fully able-bodied training partner in Canne de Combat. Please copy and paste the following url into your browser in order to view it:

http://www.tac-savate.fr/video2.php?fichier=hs01.mpg&retour=hs01&depart=video1.php

His name is Sebastien and we're hoping to bring him over to the UK in 2007 to put on a seminar for wheelchair users and any others who may be interested in Cane Fighting. Please contact me if you are interested.

Pugil

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Thats great!

Hope it all goes well.

First time ive seen someone in a wheelchair doing MA's. Full respect to him and all others who do it. ;)

3. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

Here's another video from a demo at the European Canne de Combat championships held in Strasbourg in October 2006:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=cgHjI7Mm8nw

4. Clay Johnson

Clay Johnson Valued Member

Hi just wanted to say great video! My name is Clay Johnson and I have Cerebral Palsy and been training in martial arts since 1983 and with Guro/SiFu Dan Inosanto in the Filipino Martial Arts and Lee Jun Fan Gung Fu(Jeet Kune Do Concepts) since 1989. I can't tell you how much fun it is to stick spar. I don't get to do it as much anymore but I love it. The weapons training has helped me become a 100% better martial artist over the years.

www.inosanto.com/mawd/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  5. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

Sorry to have missed your post... haven't been around for a while. If you're ever in England, and want to play some Canne de Combat, do get in touch with us!

6. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Finally

Great video. It's great to see a disabled martial artist put their skills to the test. I hope people from other disciplines take a cue from him and do the same. I am in no way trying to be disrespectful, but I am curious. There were several times when the gentleman in the wheelchair was vulnerable to attacks from behind, but the other combatant did not capitalize on the opportunity. Why? Were there rules against striking from behind? Was the able bodied combatant being nice? I ask because in my experience martial artists who are in a wheelchair are most vulnerable to attacks from behind. I have yet to find a suitable defense for such attacks. If you guys know of a solid defense against such techniques, please share it with me. Again, very cool vid. Thanks for posting it.

7. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Wheelchair Cane Fighting

As in Fencing and Boxing, one is meant to always face one's opponent and not turn away. In Fencing you are (nowadays) unlikely ever to have a problem as it has become so artificial and linear for the problem ever to occur.

In Boxing and Canne de Combat, you must endeavour to face your opponent at all times. If you turn away from your opponent (present your back) the Referee is at liberty to give you a private warning. If you continue to do so, the Referee will give a Public Warning, and you may lose points or, even, end up being disqualified.

In the case of a demonstration bout between an able-bodied person and someone in a wheelchair there are no specific 'rules' as such a competition would (at this moment in time) not be allowed.

It is obviously harder for someone in a wheelchair to turn on the spot in the way that an able-bodied person can. Therefore, if the able-bodied person ends up behind the person in the wheelchair in such a demonstration bout he, or she, would allow a moment in time for them to turn to face them again. That is simply a sporting concession. In a real fight, the wheelchair user would have to endeavour to face their opponent(s) as best they could.

Pugil

8. iHeretic

iHeretic Not-for-Prophet

Hi Pugil,

I've missed the last seminars you guys held with Danny and that other French chap who came over to do Canne, but I'm still interested and keep looking out for dates on your website.

I will definitely be in when Sebastien comes to Cambridge, so count me in!

Cheers,
    Ben

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

On the issue of a wheelchair defense when someone is behind you...
    Now I'm not in a wheelchair but could a potential stick defense be a variation on the umbrella block from Kali/Arnis?
    It's hard to describe but basically the stick describes a circular path around the person with the tip down starting by covering the left side (if held in the right hand).
    If combined with a twisting of the chair (in the right direction) it could perhaps offer some sort of "shielding" as you turn?
    And also flow into a nice forehand powershot?

This guys doing the start of an umbrella block...

Block

As an aside I really like to see what the guy in the wheelchair could do in a powered one where all he'd need to do was move a joystick and so be more able to concentrate on whacking the other dude. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007