Fighting again next March!

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Southpaw535, Nov 28, 2014.

  1. aaradia

    aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

    Aside from putting yourself in stressful situations, how would one train for an adrenaline dump?

    I mean, you put yourself in various stressful situations to get used to it, yes. But when one gets so experienced that they have stepped into the ring already, how do you continue to train this?

    I get that both you and Chadderz had this happen, and you want to train to not have it happen again, but you are both seasoned fighters with several fights under your belt. So, what specifically can you two do to train dealing with this specific issue?

    I am most curious as to the answer or answers.
  2. holyheadjch

    holyheadjch Valued Member

    It's a bit like learning to swim without getting wet. You can drill the movements all you like, but sooner or later, you're going to have to get in the water - and the first few times, you're going to forget absolutely everything you were taught on dry land.
  3. Pretty In Pink

    Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

    I need to train muscular endurance specifically, I have quite good cardio, but I struggle when I get tense because I'm so relaxed when I'm rolling. So I know what I need to work on.
  4. Southpaw535

    Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

    Chadderz is experienced, I wasn't. I had one fight before this and that was at a school sports hall in front of basically people from my gym and their friends. This was a fight in front of a thousand odd people, in a cage, with lights and tv cameras. It was also on the show I've been wanting to get on ever since I got into mma.

    Basically, there wasn't anything I could have done. That's the only answer I've got from the other fighters in my gym when I've told them told them about the dump. They all had the exact same thing, and I've never seen a debut SnA amateur who hasn't been blowing out of his or her **** within minutes. Its actually the reason the little show I fought on before was created in the first place: My coach recognised SnA was too big for people making their debut and they all struggled with it so he wanted to give them a stepping stone.

    As for the future hopefully that was it. Next time I'll warm up properly, be in better shape generally, and it won't be a new experience for me with all the pressure of being on a big show.
  5. Rebel Wado

    Rebel Wado Valued Member

    Sounds like you got good advice and a good attitude. Things will start slowing down to you too.

    IMHO, you should never feel like a match is harder than how hard you train. Keep up the training!
  6. holyheadjch

    holyheadjch Valued Member

    I think that's wishful thinking, at least until you're competing at a very high level. The best you can do, is mitigate the adrenaline dump. In training you can only go at 100%, but in competition, the adrenaline lets you go at 110%, which is part of what burns you out so fast.
  7. Rebel Wado

    Rebel Wado Valued Member

    I didn't mean that a match couldn't or isn't harder, only that it shouldn't feel harder.

    I guess what I really mean is that your training should prepare you. You should not feel in a match that your weren't prepared. Got to trust your training.

    I also meant that he should keep training with a good attitude like he has.
  8. holyheadjch

    holyheadjch Valued Member

    There's a saying I used to hear a lot around the MTB race circuit - it never get easier, you just go faster.

    It's the same with fighting. It will never feel easier, you'll just be better at it.

    Having the balls to step into the cage is 90% of the battle - the other 10% is blood, sweat and chicken. Lots of chicken.
  9. Southpaw535

    Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

    In other news, fighting again May 30th. Plenty of time for people to start arranging a holiday...
  10. StrikingDragon

    StrikingDragon Valued Member

    If you ever need someone to hold the pads or drill techniques or gently roll with give me a shout!
  11. Moi

    Moi Warriors live forever x

    That's quick. You'll soon be shot of those nerves

    Needs a new thread?
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  12. Southpaw535

    Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

    It'll get one once this is confirmed properly. Almost guaranteed I'll be on the card, but still need to sound out the guy my coach wants
  13. Southpaw535

    Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

    Video from this fight should be available today. Will likely stick it in a new thread. Am not looking forward to watching it :p

Share This Page