fighting after 40.

Discussion in 'MMA' started by raaeoh, Nov 10, 2015.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My wife and I were super fit people in our 20 somethings. Both of trained ma. Then we got married and lazy. Fast forward 20 plus years and over a combined gain of over 250 lbs she gets a bug on her shoulder. She wants back in the game.

3 years ago she started at nearly 300 lbs today almost half of her is gone! This past Saturday she did her first ever mma fight at 41 years of you age. Her opponent was 23 and didn't stand a chance!

I just wanted to brag to all the youngsters out there. Lol. You are never to old to train. No excuses.

I posted her fight. She know most of her mistakes during this one and is ****ed that she didn't jeep up the pressure.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=624f56a1MfM&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015
  2. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I love it! That's dedication, determination and every other descriptive word that says "winner".

Hard enough to drop all of that weight, to train as hard as she must've and then, on top, to get in the cage with someone half her age and then that rag-doll she did on her opponent was something else.

Massive high-fives to you both.

Thanks for posting this [​IMG]

BTW - what do you mean by not keeping up the pressure? I never saw any let up from the moment she threw her opponent down.

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Congratulations to her!

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Thank you for sharing.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I love it! ('Cause I'm over 40, too!) :happy:

6. raaeoh

Belltoller, she let her get up the first time she went down. This video dosent shoe it but she had a key lock and she let it go just to punch her agian. Thanks for the props! I might just do it after the new year. She will be doing at least 6

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Kudos on the 40's.

Was her opponent in their 40's?

Wait til you get to the 50's (or 60's :)

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What a beast! Well done! ;D

9. raaeoh

No martial man early 20s

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Its hard for a 40 year old to keep up with someone half their age in sparring for a duration

11. belltoller

Six fights this coming year? :eek: She must have went about this very methodically from the beginning, I would say. A lot of thought went into it - much careful planning as one dern't go from being 300 lbs, out of shape and over 40 to 6 proposed MMA fights by whim and courage buoyed up via a malt-liquor Tall Boy .

I'd very much like to hear about the obstacles, snags and downs that she surely had to meet and overcome.

My older son will probably start MMA training in the next week or two and I'm like ... man, oh man...should I even think about it. I could possibly handle non-competitive boxing but MMA training after 50 is not a joking matter.

Ja - wait. Wait as long as you possibly can and, if at all possible, don't even go there a'tall. :vanish:

12. raaeoh

2 broken toes several pulled muscles and a constant trip to the chiropractors office For starters. One concussion by me from a badly timed throw. Weight fluctuation the last 2 weeks before weigh in. The gym we started with closed down and we helped start the new one where SHE fights from now. Her father almost died from a heart attack 2 years ago
    2 of her last 3 fighters backed out at the last minute.

I put my training on hold so she could live her dream. I mainly teach karate to the under 14 set now. And put back on some of the fat I lost.

We have a 58 yr old training mma only with our gym. He gets the deserved respect for being older......... but he gets treated like every one else.

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

It's about managing your expectations. Training 3-4 times a week for health and fitness at 50 is a perfectly reasonable goal.

14. raaeoh

2 broken toes several pulled muscles and a constant trip to the chiropractors office For starters. One concussion by me from a badly timed throw. Weight fluctuation the last 2 weeks before weigh in. The gym we started with closed down and we helped start the new one where SHE fights from now. Her father almost died from a heart attack 2 years ago
    2 of her last 3 fighters backed out at the last minute.

I put my training on hold so she could live her dream. I mainly teach karate to the under 14 set now. And put back on some of the fat I lost.

We have a 58 yr old training mma only with our gym. He gets the deserved respect for being older......... but he gets treated like every one else.

Her end game is a mma belt at Am mature (see what I did) level. Maybe one pro fight if the chance is there. Then t train any one who said they can't do it

15. raaeoh

As far as her 6 proposed fights goes it will be tough. Starting next year All mma fighters must be medically approved and licensed to compete. Leaving her with only the dedicated few equally bad ass opponents.

16. raaeoh

There is no requirement to fight if you train it. Just doing it as if you were going to. Plus if you are paying and know your limits all should good

17. belltoller

Exactly. My first venture into MA was in the form of a Muay Thai class that was primarily for competitors in my mid 40's. It was rather brutal (no real athletic activity for the previous 8 - 10 years, heavily smoking, etc) but the thing that motivated me to keep going was the idea that I would compete.

When reality dawned and I realised that there was no way I could compete against the 20 somethings it did a major hit on my ego, confidence and motivation and I ended up quitting.

That's why your wife's story rings a bell ( ..ahem... ) and gains my admiration so much as I'm profoundly aware of some of the physical/emotional hurdles she had to jump - just to keep a slot in a competitive fight programme - let alone actually compete with success.

18. belltoller

Now is that just in your state or is it now across the board ( as is the case the amateur and professional boxers )?

19. raaeoh

This Is a new law in Michigan starting early next year.

To be fair she came into this with some prior knowledge of the arts. She has never done anything close to this though. She is also considering a weight lifting tournament. At an a mature level with proper training mid 40 s is the cut off to start competing IMHO if you are good enough. I know a few former pros that in there 50 would destroy an upcoming amature.

My proved that at the same level a 41 yr old can be better than a youngster

20. raaeoh

For the record. 2 other girls backed out after hearing my wife's story. Rumors were flying. Intimidation son her first two non fights. Lol she had a record and a reputation before she ever had her first fight.