Fighter in medically induced coma after Saturday night

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Saved_in_Blood, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The issue with peripheral vision is my biggest beef with them and one my coach openly admits to. Stopping cuts is the only reason we wear them. I'd imagine the unwillingness to remove them.for women and kids, especially kids, is the helmet still adds a lot to the image of safety and people are generally uncomfortable with girls and children actually fighting. The helmet makes it look less brutal.

2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Not only that, but the NFL just started that 765 million dollar fund for players who suffer from TBIs in order to "help" them with their downhill conditions. Sure no helmets would be worse, but you know what would be best? Getting steroids and HGH out of sports so that you don't have 250-350 lb brutes.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Not everyone is shooting roids man. Believe it or not, there are people who just are THAT freaking big or that athletic. The guys who are probably using them are the ones who aren't that big and need them to keep up. The use of steroids probably happen a lot more than we know about, but I'm willing to bet it's not nearly as bad as some people want to think it is.

5. Saved_in_Blood

I knew a pro football trainer who told me 85% of all football players are using. Trust me, it's used all the time by athletes all the time. Look at Lance Armstrong, he avoided getting caught while winning 7 or so Tour De France titles... all of his teammates came out and said that they were using as well. It's all over the place now.

6. Ero-Sennin

So, you knew a guy. C'mon man, you have to do better then that to prove a statement. I doubt your buddy even knew 85% of his own team personally.

One example does not lead to "everybody is doing it."

7. Saved_in_Blood

Yes I did, but either way it doesn't matter... the point solely being that PED's do increase the risk to other players, fighters, and themselves since most of them don't know how to use them properly anyway.

The biggest problem is money, who wants to see any of these guys get caught and then suspended from the league, or a sport in general? A lot of money revolves around all sports from the players to the betters. Therefore, not a lot has been done.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's fair to assume that if one person can get away with using PED's in a sport then other will do the same.
    Esecially with the money involved.
    It's got to the stage now where I find sport completely uninteresting.
    I like a sport that's involves people fairly competing.
    I can just about watch MMA but only from a technical point of view. I have no interest in who wins because the background is so shadey.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I think we can safely state Roy Nelson is steroid free......

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Chinese steroids or Brazilian steroids?

11. Saved_in_Blood

Has a seriously tough chin too.

12. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I can't see why not. Bobbing and weaving aren't neck movements, they're full body movements. A neck brace (one that is designed for sports) stops the neck from overextending (not rotating), which is something you don't want to be doing in Boxing anyway.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2011/11/02/collars_around_the_neck_may_save_athletes_heads.html

The concept is also currently being tested on the military.

http://chicagohealthonline.com/researchers-develop-new-potential-solutions-to-concussions/

13. Saved_in_Blood

Looks like things are looking up now!

Boxer Magomed Abdusalamov, 32, who has been in a medically induced coma and on life support in a New York hospital since his brutal fight against Mike Perez on Nov. 2, is expected to be awakened from the coma by the end of the week and his chances of survival are almost certain, Abdusalamov's promoter said Wednesday.

Doctors at Roosevelt St. Luke's Hospital, who initially gave the Russian heavyweight fighter almost no chance of survival, have revised their prognosis after he underwent a CAT scan and reflex test on Wednesday, and are now saying his condition has improved, according to Nathan Lewkowicz of Sampson Promotions.

"They've never seen anything like that, based on the fact that a week ago they were pretty certain he wasn't going to make it, and today, they're pretty certain he's going to survive," Lewkowicz told USA TODAY Sports Wednesday night. "They did the CAT scan and the reflex test, and from what they're saying, (doctors) are pretty bullish on the fact that he's going to be surviving this.

"They're hoping to wake him up in the next few days," Lewkowicz said. "That's a big improvement from last week when there was almost a 100% chance he was going die."

Lewkowicz said doctors are still unsure of what Abdusalamov's state of being will be in once he wakes up from the coma, and what happens with the life support that doctors have said have been keeping the boxer alive since Nov. 3.

"There's a possibility that he might have trouble speaking," Lewkowicz said. "There's a possibility he could be blind. There are many different variables they're not going to know until they wake him up."

The boxer's wife, Bakanay, will move her family (three daughters) to Greenwich, Conn., living with a cousin initially and eventually finding an apartment to be near her husband, Lewkowicz said. Abdusalamov's brother has been sleeping on a chair in the hospital room from the beginning, keeping a vigil.

Lewkowicz said he thinks the many prayers for the fighter are being answered.

"I think it's working, to be honest," the promoter said. "I'm not really that religious a person, but it's pretty crazy what's been going on the last week, where it's a complete 180 from expecting him to go to now he's going to survive."

14. Dead_pool

15. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

COR... This is bad...this is really bad.

These people take it upon themselves to outright manipulate a public they know is gullible...they are the worst of the worst...far worse than politicians.

I had even wrote up what a pro-quality article (the one we're discussing) it was.

And to find out the author falsified statements, not just stretched things as they all do, but outright contrivances...

:mad::mad::mad::bang::bang:

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It's equally likely that the journalist was perfectly honest and the fighters involved have realised that they're never going to get a call from the UFC now that they've gone and embarrassed the sport.

The editor of the Ledger seems pretty confident that he can prove all of the claims in the original article, whilst all we are getting from the fighters is 'yeah, we didn't say that - also sorry Dana'.

17. belltoller

mmmm....errrr...yes. You're correct. That is a good assumption. I didn't bother to check the author's past articles - usually the one's that are predisposed to sensationalism and such have a history of it behind 'em.

Seem's I'm the one rushing things to print, 'xcpt its not to meet the publisher's deadline - its to catch the Prelims :eek:

Anyroads...want the truth, regardless of the rest.

18. Ero-Sennin

Which is why the ability to read and interpret scientific studies/articles from an unbiased, outside source are a great skill to have. Also needs to be done more often. :p

I try not to believe or use anything from any journalist/news agency. The ones I do watch or listen to I'm constant fact checking and the only reason I'll watch them is because when I fact check they're correct at least 60% of the time.

19. belltoller

Alright Ero, alright, then...:rolleyes:

Shame on me...I can say that I usually don't have such a knee-jerk reaction right off as I've done here; however, there have been a couple of major press-campaigns within the last couple of years involving sensationalised anti-MMA stories that had flooded the lower-tier local newspapers and local tele news programmes which went absolutely nowhere, had no basis in statistical or otherwise fact, no followup ( big red flag) and had no beginnings in a single polar event ( meaning a galvanizing, well documented event that ignites such as the brain damaged Russian boxer story ).

In the end, nothing but hysteria. It evaportated completely into the thin air which had borne it.

Thats just sports, but nothing is sparred the same treatment; from little bottles of caffiene supplement drink to major events in politics. It seems as if the Western World is at the mercy of a gaggle of shrieking, middle-aged hysterics, always a moment away from a neurotic fit.

Anyroads, still it doesn't excuse me from not doing my homework and withholding my own fit for a bit till things came out in the wash.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  20. Dead_pool

More about this, in the context of GSP - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-pierre-and-the-sour-stench-of-promoter-greed

''A decent human being would be worried about St-Pierre's well-being, especially after a fight that left him clearly discombobulated. But it seemed like that was the farthest thing from White's mind. No one at the press conference, except St-Pierre himself, seemed concerned about the gruesome beating he had just experienced or its physical and emotional costs.

There was only one question everyone wanted answered: How soon could they lure the reluctant champion back into the cage?''