Fight Science Gyms - Anyone had any experience with them?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dan93, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Does anyone have any experience with a MMA gym franchise called Fight Science they have just opened a huge gym near me and I was interested in additional training.

http://www.fight-science.co.uk/find-gym/staines/

Red flag on no trainer details or pricing on website and I noted a picture of a GKR kid on the website althrough they do not offer *ahem* "Karate" (I wouldnt define GKR as a example of good karate) and seem to have MMA/K1/FMA/Boxing.

I have emailed them about what arts they train and if they are associated with GKR (why else have a GKR kid on the website) which is strange for a gym with full contact disciplines on offer.

I will be popping down next week for a look, even if the MA is not what I am looking for the gym alone might be of interest and if they have open sparring.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Looks like they may be franchises, which means it will vary a lot from location to location. There is info on pricing on the website and I wouldn't worry about the GKR image - it's probably just a stock photo.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Says it's from £25 a month. In the box on the left.

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Ah missed the pricing at the bottom of the page, I have emailed them about the GKR thing as that naturally would be a deal breaker for me, bit of a strange image to use for a MMA gym....

5. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Missed it, Guess I am not that great at multi-tasking (at work) :)

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I went to a seminar at the original one in Aldershot and it was certainly impressive. They had about 40 kids doing judo though which added to the effect.
    Looks like they do Kenpo which might explain the karate kid image.

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Cool! I am definitely interested.. Its definately a GKR badge on the kids gi, hopefully I will get an email back clarifying it. £40 seems good just for use of the bags and equipment.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, but it may just be a stock image.

9. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Hope so, strange choice through...

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Website's probably put together by a website company that doesn't know "go kan ryu" from "go-cat food".
    Still though...if that was my club I'd be absolutely on top of what stuff was promoting it and get that image pulled quick smart.

11. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Good point but you would assume someone would proof it before making it live. I would pull the image and shoot the website designer if that was my site, Not what I would call good advertising with the MA community.....

12. Ben Gash CLF

Seriously, I wouldn't know it was gkr and tbh all I know about gkr is that people here have a low opinion of it.

13. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Most people I have trained with in Surrey/Middlesex/Devon knew about GKR and its reputation, pretty well known online as well. Point taken through.

Will be going down next week for a look. Pretty disillusioned with the direction of my Kyokushin class at the moment and looking for an art to suppliment my Smurf-Jitsu :)

14. Ben Gash CLF

Is there still the Daido Juku group in Slough?
    What's up with your Kyokushin group?

15. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Interesting althrough the locality of fight science and the fact in open til 2200 make it appealing.

There has been a change of direction with my Kyokushin dojo, moving away from kumite and almost every lesson now focus in Kihon and Kata. I understand the importance of Kihon/Kata (2 of the 3 K's) but IMO some sparring should be done at some point in every lesson if not most.
    I am sure he will ramp it up before competition but I feel it should be a constant part of training and he is concerned by those who have no interest/concerns in this side of Kyokushin. I wanted to compete again this year but I am getting more concerned about the lack of sparring, as my dojo used to be very Kumite focused.

I have alot of time/respect for my Sensei and his level of skill but it is feeling more like a fitness class than Kyokushin.

16. holyheadjch

I think tossing an entire gym because they rent their space to a GKR club is a fairly extreme reaction. No one is going to make you attend a GKR class.

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Actually popping down next week to have a look at the gym and classes, I did think that but I also had a horrible thought that maybe GKR might be trying to evolve into the MMA market, dont think that this is the case but it still gave me the shivers :eek: Wouldnt be the first case of this as it has happened with similar organisations (ATA in America springs to mind).

18. holyheadjch

MMA protects itself from that - if your fighters can't fight, you can only get away with calling yourself MMA for so long.

19. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

True but not all who train fight and that would be the market you would be aiming at....