Fight Quest - Kajukenbo

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

I was skeptical whether Jimmy and Doug would come back to the States, for Kenpo of course, but Kajukenbo is (almost) close enough. I liked it, because it showed how it's really done. What do you guys think? Where will they go next (I think for next season, right :confused: )?

2. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

The next 3 shows are Thailand, India, and Cambodia. Don't remember the order the guys told me.

3. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

I thought it was sweet as hell

4. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Now, John, I know Kajukenbo has Kenpo in it, but did it come from Kenpo, or does it include Kenpo in it's curriculum?

5. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

The Chicken. Without it can there be an egg?

6. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Well, I know what you mean, but I always thought it included Kenpo rather than being an 'egg' as you put it.

7. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

Yes, I thought you heard about evolution. :Alien:

8. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

How bout an omelet?

9. John Bishop

Well, you have 5 founders, 1 kenpo, 1 jujitsu, 1 judo, 1 karate, and 1 kung fu. Then 4 of the 5 also have western boxing experience, and one has escrima experience.
    They put together what they think works for the self defense scenarios that they've encountered at the time and place they in. 4 founders go off to war or other things. The founder from the kenpo branch is left to finish off what they started.
    He at the same time (until 1955) is still training with his kenpo teacher and operating a "kenpo" branch school for him. Since there's really no set curriculum in the early kenpo schools, he teaches his Kajukenbo techniques. Those who come and go before 1955 forever consider his system "kenpo". Those who break away call it kenpo/kempo and go under other kenpo teachers.
    In the late 50's-60's Kajukenbo, like many eclectic systems doesn't fit into any nitch, so the original hard style gets lumped in with the "kenpo" styles, and the later soft branches get lumped in with the kung fu systems.
    Basically, Kajukenbo is a Hawaiian mixed martial art (self defense emphasis) with techniques from at least 7 different fighting systems.

10. Kenpo_Iz_Active

hmm... seems a rather recent art, compared to most others... but is still really effective from what I saw Friday night. Thanks Hawaii!!

11. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Could go for one right about know....

12. Nuck Chorris

Nuck Chorris I prefer North South

Not really all the recent compared to others. Ask yourself how old TKD, Judo, Kenpo and Shotokan are...

13. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

It was a good episode. Too bad they didn't really touch on the founders themselves, at least I didn't hear them talk about how Kaju came about.

Doug's KO was sweet ;) Jimmy on the other hand...he got worked by that giant dude :eek:

14. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Oh u give Jimmy no love for those pulled-straight-from-the-rear submissions in under 3 seconds!?

15. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

I don't think this show will have another one on after that episode. Well I have not seen the next issue of it.

16. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

The season is over but there is suposed to be a second season after the usual hiatus.

17. John Bishop

Discovery Channel ordered 3 more shows for the summer: Thailand, India, and Cambodia. Thay haven't decided on a second season yet.

18. John Bishop

Fight Quest

Well here's the update

The show was a hit.......originally "Fight Quest" was to play in the summer of 2008. Because of the "screen writers strike" Discovery needed to fill in some of their programing. Fight Quest was to be put on the air at the end of Dec 2007. At the time around Oct 2007, they had 3 more episodes to shoot starting with the USA Kajukenbo episode. They decided to just shoot the USA show and then see how it went.

After the USA "Kajukenbo episode aired, Discovery decided that they would pull the show off the air, and send the guys out to shoot 3 more episodes. Then replay the whole series in August 2008. Next week Doug, Jimmy, Jess (producer/director) and the rest of the crew fly out to Thailand to start the rest of the shooting.

Here are some links for the show:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/3/1/11950/08040 < WATCH THE SHOW ON LINE !

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fight-quest/fight-quest.html < FIGHT QUEST WEB SITE !