Fifty man Kumite- at fifty?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ArthurKing, Jul 6, 2013.

1. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Well, I will be 50 years old next year. I will have been training consistently at the same club for 10 years. It's possible, but unlikely, that I will be grading for my 2nd Dan next year. I'm probably the fittest and the most flexible I have ever been in my life (so far). What I need is a new challenge.

I would like to do a 50-man Kumite. I just need some help with the details.
    I would like to use the event to publicise my current club, also maybe help me start a club in Aberystwyth where I teach part-time for the university.
    It just needs to be a bit more exciting (to look at) than an extra long sparring session.

Here are my current thoughts.
    50 x 1.5 minute rounds, maybe 15-30 second time outs between rounds.
    Mostly facing members of my club but maybe also all comers (who have to read and sign a disclaimer/copy of the rules).
    An audience- who pay (£1?) or sponsor me?
    Semi contact. Not full pads (for me)- maybe shin pads, groin guard, tourney gloves (probably with wraps). Others would also have full shin/foot pads?
    NOT point stop- think extended sparring rather than tournament but
    maybe a scoring system with a couple of referees? This is just to make it more exciting as a spectacle and more interesting for me- how many matches did I 'win'?
    Maybe start the day with demonstration by the other members of the club?
    I'm currently training at couple of hours karate per week, 1 hour cardio, 2 or 3 times per week, I would need to up that to at least 1.5 hours. Probably need to do more speed/bag work?

I haven't run this past my Sensei yet and he may not want me to pursue it officially but i'd really like to do it!

Any comments, problems you forsee, ways of making it more interesting, training tips etc, please leave here.
    Thanks.

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Your as old as you feel (I feel about 80 at the mo!)

Go for it if its something you really want to achieve, you might regret it if you don't. IMO I would say that you really need to focus on stamina, i.e. hill running, skipping, rounds on focus pads with timer.

Been awhile since I have done any semi-contact type sparring so can't comment on the judging, rules ect.. agree continious is the way to go as the general public don't really understand point competition and will be more entertaining.

If you want this open to the public sounds good and maybe organise a small kata/sparring tourney before? How long are you planning to prepare for it pending your Sensei's authorisation?

Hope it goes well!!

Osu!

Dan93

3. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Work your abs, core, midsection, all of it, you'll be taking a lot of hits if you're planning on doing this kind of thing. Try to have a buddy hit you in the stomach a couple times, increasing in power so that you can build up the pain tolerance. Boost up your cardio. We had to do this for our BB testings, not so much 50 man, less, maybe 30 or 35, I just remember I wanted it over with because there was still a next day so I didn't bother counting, just giving it what I got per round, but we were more tired from our requirements and it was full contact. Oh, don't bother going all out in the first 5 rounds, that's a dangerous thing to do, especially with a number of 50. Be careful about burning out b/c you pushed too hard early on. Don't count the amount of opponents, if possible have them count on a board away from you for the sake of them not losing count but have it not facing toward you. The more you think about it, the harder the challenge is. Maybe you can find out the number when it is like say, 5 more fights then you are done.

4. ned

ned Valued Member

I think if you prepare with 4.5 hours cardio per week you'll be dead on your feet about
    no.10
    I used to do a six man sparring session ending with a survival round where you sparred all the others one after the other no breaks,rounds of approx 3 mins.I considered myself
    pretty fit at the time running 3 or 4 miles a day and there was'nt much left in the tank by the end.

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Conditioning, cardio, and self discipline will be your biggest allies.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

50 rounds semi contact will be more cardio than conditioning to take hits. You'll need to work explosive bursts and active recovery to mimic the sparring. Have fun!

Mitch

7. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Award winning author and Karateka Goran Powell wrote a fantastic book, entitled "Waking Dragons", which was about the preparations and obstacles he dealt with, both mentally and physically, when faced with taking part in his 1st 30 man Kumite.

The rounds may have been shorter and the opponents may have been fewer, (bare in mind this was Full Contact though) but I think it would make an interesting read for you, and one you may take a lot away from.

Kind Regards

Travess

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Thanks for the comments guys, it will be semi-contact so some conditioning will be necessary, but mostly it will be cardio I guess. Book looks good Travess, may invest in a copy, may get '4 shades of black' at the same time. I can start training any time now, just need to ok it with my sensei, would be looking at May 2014 for the event itself. I presume I will be looking at training to fit the event i.e. plyometrics in 1.5 minute bursts, 1.5-2 hours cardio, core and upper body and legs. Any suggestions for books or websites that might help me fix the training programme?

Not sure about the time outs, maybe go for 2 mins after first 20, then again at 40, or 1 minute after each 10, don't want it to be too easy!
    I also like the idea of not seeing the score or body count?!

Oh yeah, also looking for advice on liquid intake, salt etc for the event itself (I have no athletic training or knowledge in this area so please feel free to treat me like a complete ignoramus).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  9. Mitch

I enjoyed 4 Shades but it won't help with this at all.

Spend your time researching and doing tabata, HIIT etc instead :)

Mitch

10. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Cheers Mitch,
    I know '4 shades' won't help with this, I've just been promising it as a present to myself since my birthday, when I had to spend the money on a new pair of running shoes.
    Will look up what you said.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I'm going to leave my default "tons of opponents kumite" comment:

Rather you than me.

12. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I have never tried anything like this but would think a good way to prepare (besides the other suggestions) would be to begin sparring back to back matches in class. Not 50 of course but maybe start with 3 or 4 and work your way up a bit. Besides helping with endurance this might help you to prepare mentally.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

One of my Kyokushin sensei did a 25 man kumite on his 50th birthday (2 min rounds, knockdown fighting rules, virtually continuous) so I definitely think you can.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

50 1.5 minute rounds is 75 minutes of moderate to high intensity work in a, let's say, 110 minute window. That's a serious workload.

I'd suggest building up to 50 opponents. Do a 10 man, then a 20 man, then a 30 man etc etc, because I think it is impossible not to underestimate how hard doing 50 rounds is going to be.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  15. Mitch

It's not possible to not know how much I can't understand how much this is undifficult to not follow. :)

Mitch

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Hey! I drafted that sentence three times before I posted it! It's as clear as it was ever going to get.

17. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Haven't looked at this for a while, just letting you know that i'm pretty sure this is not going to happen any time soon, if ever. Mostly this is due to health issues that have arisen in the last year or so. Will post more detail on the Flexibility thread tonight.

18. matthew hewitt

matthew hewitt New Member

Hi guys. I know this thread is quite old but just to add that, I completed a 30 Man Kumite recently using Kyokushin knockdown rules and I’m nearly 48.

I think it’s never too late, just get yourself as fit and durable as you can and....go for it!!

Footage below if anyone is interested

Mitch, ned, Grond and 3 others like this.
  19. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

That’s brilliant at any age, let alone 48. Fantastic!

matthew hewitt likes this.
  20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Nicely done some lovely takedowns . Thanks for sharing

matthew hewitt likes this.