Female boxer dies after bout

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by MossIsGone84, Apr 6, 2005.

1. rebounds3

rebounds3 New Member

Brain injury and Boxing

It is a tragedy for all concerned. I feel for the family who lost a member, and I feel for her competitor, who has to live with this the rest of her life. :cry: The crippling or death of a competitor in a sport can cause severe traumatic stress disorder and guilt.

The injuries and safety equipment for Boxing ( and other contact sports) are constantly researched by the medical, sociological and rehabilitation fields.

Boxing and brain damage
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=PubMed

More Punching / Boxing related research articles
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=6525750

click on any "related links" choice to get a lot more articles.

" a moment of silence for our fallen comrade. who among us will be next??"

R3

2. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I was perusing the boxing forum and found this thread. She used to be one of the instructors at my MA club a few years before my time. Even though I had never actually met her, when I first heard the news, I was shocked. I can tell the people at my club who knew her had a lot of respect for her. I can't really think of anything else to say, so I think I'll just leave it at that.

3. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

Like TYSON?!

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

Praise Allah!

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I really dont like reading things like this. I prefer to live in the dark that boxing is safeish...

Feel realy bad for the opponent...

6. succubus

succubus so hot right now

this is really awful.

sympathies to her friends and family.

7. Sentrell

Sentrell New Member

Back in the bare knuckle days boxers did go alot more rounds cos of the slightly different rules and stuff that someone already mentioned and also because there actual technique was a whole lot different than it is nowadays, I mean boxing has evolved in skill and I reakon the boxers are hitting alot harder now than they where back then.

If boxers didnt wear gloves now then people would be getting ko'd all the time

Also if a boxer is on top off his game he shouldnt be feeling safe just cos he's wearing a head guard or got gloves on and he should always train to be hit as little as he can.

8. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

i think in the bare-knuckle days that was a period where if a fighter ever hit the ground (for whatever reason) that was the end of the round, and there will be a short pause before the fight resumed. So they could go on for hours, but it wasnt hours of endless punishment

9. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

Outlawing something because it's dangerous is just idiotic. People should have every right to take what they know is a calculated risk. Should alcohol be illegal? How many more people die from it than from boxing? Should driving be illegal? How many people die in car accidents? Should all contact sports be illegal? Skydiving? Should it be illegal to be out of shape, so that no-one dies of heart attacks?

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

agreed. its not like people dont KNOW boxing is dangerous. if you stop people from doing anything that causes them harm you end up with a bunch of incredibly boring people who have lived worthless lives.

11. philp

philp New Member

Agreed.

To add: Outlawing boxing et al, would actually make it more dangerous to people that then participate in it illegally. Being illegal, people from the medical profession would not want to get involved with it and referees etc would much more likely not be qualified / experienced in refereeing matchs and watching out for the boxers safety. To put, outlawing it *could* result in more tragedies like this, not less as often percieved.

Let's not forget, people die racing cars, riding horses, even playing football, it can't be helped and it does happen. This does not detract anything from the fact that when it does happen it is tragic and thus my condolences go to the family, friends and opponent of the boxer who has passed on in this instance.

Just my $0.2
    Phil.

12. incubus

incubus Valued Member

and making it illegal,would cause it to go underground ! Making it much harder to control !!!

13. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I believe that adults make informed choices and therefore it is up to each individual to make their own decisions - even though it may be difficult for their loved ones.

Statistics change, I know, but the No1 most dangerous activity resulting in the most deaths and brain damage was always cited as horse riding (not horse racing but 'my little pony' stuff) :confused:

14. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

Boxing is an art. In my opinion, possibly moreso than most MMA schools today. And without boxing, there would be no MMA. And before i get flamed, i don't have a bias against MMA. But I have a bias as to how its taught.

15. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Whenever I watch a boxing match, I just sit there in horrified morbid fascination.
    For sure there is skill and artistry involved, but the person on the receiving end of the punch is not invincible - each time they are hit in the head they are being permanently damaged.

16. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i have sympathy for the family, but i also understand that we choose to do this to ourselves, we train hard and fight hard.
    it is a short life regardless of what you do in your past time, there is the chance of getting hit by a car, bike just about anything can take you from this earth, just dont live to regret things. :eek:

17. kenpoguy

kenpoguy The Last Dragon

reply...

very true. Muhammad Ali is a prime example...

18. Faminedynasty

Faminedynasty Valued Member

"Behind anything beautiful there's some kind of pain."