Feelings on Gradings Day?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by angry, Apr 5, 2008.

1. angry

angry Valued Member

I woke up last Saturday morning with a different feeling. I was due to grade today for the first time in 5 years. Previously on a grading day I would be excited and full of nervous energies. (Normally I am also concerned about my students grading on the day also, but I am not teaching at the moment so there are no students to be concerned for!)

I had finally reached my sa dan grading after 20 years of training in tkd. I got ready and left for the morning grading with just enough time to allow me a relaxed drive to the hall. We went through a light warm up and then the grandmaster entered and we sat down to wait our turn for grading.

While sitting watching the 1st Gups attempt to gain their desired goal of a black belt, I had nothing on my mind. This was strange as normally I would have being going through the requirements in my head and trying to guess what I would be asked to demonstrate. As I considered my lack of concern I realised I was indeed ready and there was nothing to consider. I was one with myself and with the skills I have trained in for so long. This time it was more of a feeling of completion.

As my name was finally called I ran up and it felt just like any other training session where I was required to show a skill to a group of students. Four hours latter my name was called again to announce that I was to receive the promotion to sa dan.

After hearing for so long about ‘making the techniques your own’ and ‘acting with thinking about it’, I realise it is not just about normal dojang training or on the street. It is also to be able to call on the skills and training without concern about any external or internal influences wether they are threats, dangers or fears.

Maybe I really am starting to learn the mental aspects of the martial arts and move beyond just the physical side of training. I know that martial arts training has help me with coping under stressful situations and allowed me to act with clear purpose when needed. How do you all feel about the emotional and mental benefits from training in the martial arts?

(Sorry if it is a bit of a long winded post, but I did have want to explain the story! Anyway one long post makes up for only posting once every couple of month doesn’t it? )

2. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

Well done on achieving sa dan.

I understand what you mean about the mental side.

It was explained to me that the longer you train, your physical abilities may diminish with age but the mental aspects increase

Cheers!

3. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

4. angry

angry Valued Member

5. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

I am no where near your level to comment on the mental side of training... I just think that your post is clear and well written that its length isn't a problem at all! Otherwise, congratulations to your sa dan!!