feeling weaker with MMA gloves

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by roninmaster, Jul 24, 2012.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

ok So this is very frustrating I feel like i was getting much better with my kickboxing learning to parry better and throw strikes in more flurries. (though i still haven't broken my arm punching habit.)

anywho I just feel hesitant or weaker, with MMA gloves on. with 14oz boxing gloves on it seams second nature to parry and throw more punches. with MMA gloves on i feel like im doing poor sticky hands.

is this a normal problem when making the switch?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Why are you usig MMA gloves to kickbox?

Also out of interest, what is your height and weight?

For the original question, you likely feel less protected without the overall covering of a boxing glove, which is in general larger, to protect you from parries and blocking. That's where confidence and technique comes into play. You also need to get used to the difference in weight.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  3. martialmartian

martialmartian Valued Member

I have the opposite problem. I always use MMA gloves for pad and bagwork... can parry and punch just fine. I use 16oz gloves for sparring which is fine, but they feel really strange for pad and bag work.

One thing about the MMA gloves though, I always make sure I wrap my hands well, going so far as to doublewrap them.

4. Unreal Combat

They'll feel different because of the weight and because your hands can move faster. Ideally you should train with the heavier glove, for most people 16oz, except when conditioning.

I train with 16oz gloves all the time on bag and pad. I felt like I was going to break my hand the first time I hit a bag with a 10oz glove, simply because I just wasn't used to the weight.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

MMA sparring gloves or MMA fight gloves, caus you really shouldnt be doing much if any full sparring just with fight gloves on.

6. incredibleguru

incredibleguru New Member

MMA Gloves Give the fighter a opportunity___ Not a disability. Striking Blocking and Knockouts are MMA basics that you can use gloves for.

7. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

So about leaving those drugs alone...

8. Unreal Combat

That's all very well and good, but this is the Kickboxing section (and not even the Muay Thai section which is more heavily assocciated with MMA). Why is anyone using MMA gloves to train in Kickboxing? I'm not seeing any benefit to this in relation to training for the sport. :confused:

Beyond that, my last couple of posts stand anyway.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

He means striking for MMA.

10. nefariusmdk

nefariusmdk Valued Member

The weight change from 14oz to 2.5oz (or whatever weight) MMA gloves makes you need to throw your fist more. You can throw lazier punches with heavier gloves, since the weight also pulls your fist.

Another difference is the size of impact - 14oz gloves are almost the size of two of your fists, making it easier for you to defend/parry with. MMA gloves' fist size is your natural fist size. It's smaller and easier to throw, but in the long run it'll take more effort the longer you're fighting.

Finally, MMA gloves will hurt your opponent more. If you're slightly afraid of badly injuring your partner with MMA gloves, you will subconsciously throw your punches with less intensity. Personally, I hit the bag with MMA gloves or 14oz gloves, and I spar with only the 14oz gloves. It's safer, and the last thing I want is to put my only sparring partner out of commission for a week after making a "mistake."

11. roninmaster

because i'm kickboxing for now Just to prepare myself for when i go into MMA after BJJ purple belt. I still do MMA smoker and sparring sessions with friends so I almost always use MMA gloves. I plan to do some kickboxing smokers too, but none have come around yet.

I also did kungfu for a long time and feel that boxing and kickboxing serve as vehicles to really use some the techniques properly.

12. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its essentially just getting used to size and weight.

Parrying/Striking and even blocking will be different. With boxing gloves, its hard for gloves to get through the normal (peek-a-boo like) block. But with 4oz MMA itll just go right through. Parrying, you have a smaller hand to "catch" so psychological play also comes in.

How long you been sparring with MMA gloves? Also is it the training MMA gloves (the one with the big knuckles) or the competition size ones?

13. roninmaster

all of my kickboxing is done with 140z boxing gloves which is about a year i suppose give or take some months in-between gyms. I train with MMA gloves when I sparr with my other Martial arts friends I use MMA gloves.

these are the exact brand of MMA gloves I use.

[​IMG]

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Try to get some MMA sparring gloves. Its essentially MMA gloves with about an inch of padding on the knuckles.
    They look silly but it does work...impact is still problem with the fact that it still smaller than 10oz gloves. Though headgear should also come into play.

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

smaller gloves which offer less protection and allow you to feel more of the knuckle when getting hit make everyone a bit wary in sparring you are not alone :hat: