Feeling sick a lot

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hello people.

For the last couple of weeks after training/before eating dinner I feel really sick. Got home from mma Saturday after quite a hard 2 hour session and just couldn't eat anything all night, which is bad as I am now training a fair bit more so need to keep up my food intake.
    I'm drinking enough and eating every 2-3 hours but just not able to stomach a meal when I get in from training, which I need as can't eat much before. I'm then getting up feeling starving, having my porridge then feeling sickly again by lunch time and I'm supposed to be hitting the gym at lunch 3 times a week.
    At the moment I have:
    breakfast - porridge
    snack- impact whey isolate protein
    train at lunch 3 x week
    lunch- turkey/salad and sometimes quinoa
    snack low fat yoghurt or protein bar
    train
    chilli/brown rice or chicken/brown rice

It's starting to annoy me now but could possibly re-jig my food a little bit. I was doing Berardi's plan but the no carbs in the morning was tending to give me migraines and making me feel pretty weak.

Thanks in advance :)

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I had something like this a few times before... I'd find I'm either really hungry most of the day then feeling kinda nauseous and just sorta not right at other points in the day, despite having eaten loads... I put it down to stress (more physical than mental I think), usually sorts itself out in a few days, but I will usually decrease training, sleep/rest a bit more. I also find having a few beers and getting a bit ****ed helps too.

So yeah, I figure its some sorta stress, drink some booze and chill out for a few days :)

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol yeah sounds like it could be the case. I think trying to step up the training is stressing me a little maybe. I'm drinking a little more milk than usual too, may swap milk for water with my protein, but I dont like it as much when I do that.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Pregnant? :D

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ha ha.

No.

6. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

Feeling sick can sometimes occur when your stomach isn't emptying properly/quick enough.

I would recommend a quick visit to the GP. Take full advantage of our free GP service in the UK! Even if they don't find anything at least you rule out serious stuff.

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I had quite a few tests done a couple of months ago as I kept getting heart palpitations and all my blood tests came back clear again so think that pretty much ruled a lot of things out.

Maybe it's just my body protesting about me making it work harder :D

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Beat me to it!

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah, I was predicting that one! Definitely not.

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Are you getting enough salt (electrolytes) in your diet? If you're eating really healthily and have cut down on bread, your post exercise sickness might be due to a lack of salt in your diet, particulary if you're sweating a lot and drinking a lot to compensate. It happened to a friend of mine who very rarely eats salt and makes her own bread (without salt). The doctor she went to see was gobsmacked because he said it's very rare nowadays, as most people get enough salt purely from the shop bought bread they eat.

I usually find that the last thing I want to do after an intense training session is eat and a chocolate milk carries me over till I feel hungry.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Actually I don't put salt in any of my food really, so that's a really good point. I do drink lucozade re-hydration after training but that may not be doing much! I often do have chocolate milk after training but try and eat so I'm not horribly weak/hungry in a morning.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Could it be low blood sugar levels? They can make some people feel ill and not feel like eating, oddly.

Can you snack on things like nuts regularly? Or could you eat something like a banana during water breaks at class?

Are you getting enough calories and the right balance of stuff for your new routine? It sounds pretty intense so you need to fuel it properly.

Otherwise yeah, booze and curry will sort you out.

Mitch. Burp.

13. twistor59

twistor59 Valued Member

I think the blood tests you would do if you were presenting with palpitations (electrolyte imbalance etc) would be different to those you would do (liver function, kidney function....) if you were presenting with sickness.

If the problem continues, I would definitely go to your GP (well, I don't mean I myself would personally go to your GP....!)

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Aye maybe. I did a 52km road ride yesterday and feeling really sick now, had my porridge, protein and my turkey/salad wrap for lunch and feel like poo. Ate when I got home from cycling ,well ate what I could as felt quite sick after that.
    Struggling to eat all that much really.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol please will you go for me, I hate going to see my GP :D She'll probably just tell me not to train.

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

What is the best method of getting electrolytes? Just a simple sports drink after training?

17. Moi

I think the salt intake my be a possible factor if everything you're eating is fresh and you are not adding salt. Could it also be possible you are not eating enough to fuel your training, relying on your evening meal for your calories and then you've 'just gone past eating' Would explain the sickness as it happens to me in work when I skip lunch.

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah possibly, it's just how I manage to fit in another meal so I'm having enough.If I take out my post training meal then I'm really struggling to get enough calories and I never feel that hungry during the day really.

19. Moi

I rarely ever get hungry during the day, just feel sick and sneeze (weird, that one) when I've left it for too long and have to do something physical.

20. Moi

Another thing might be you don't feel like your evening meal 'cos it's so bloody repetitive. Try breaking the diet for something else fresh.

Also the only time my son wasn't hungry was after a good training session. He'd be hyper and never stop talking and would never eat.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009