Feasibility of a mid to high muay thai roundhouse for a streetfight?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Hazmatac, May 14, 2014.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You may not be, you won't see me out and about in skinny jeans. You're creating an absolute based on an occasional. Like I said, it's the equivalent of writing off elbows because you might be wearing a puffa jacket.
    If your kicking technique is decent you don't need to be especially flexible. The average TKD blue belt would put me to shame in stretching, I would however kick them around the room. Good kicking is about not fighting against your muscles.

2. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

please dont get me wrong, the roundhouse kick serves a purpose, if performed to damage a persons knee, if not one then 3 or 4 to the same spot, and thai roundhouse is more powerful but also more risky than jkd hooks, the jkd hook kick is a frontleg roundhouse with half the commitment, using a whipping shin kick rather than a full body power shin, which causes a thai fighter to spin around when met with nonresistence.... jkd hook kicks are more shrimp-like, whereas muaythai kicks are more shark-like, only in human terms, the shrimp and shark are of similar size and shape

3. Fujian Animal

thai kicks are always committed to 100% power, but a kick to the bag or your body will not make them spin, they only do that when they kick the air with no resistence, but thats why they also use their spinning elbows.... jkd also uses elbows, but the focus of jkd is sparring drills, not solo forms, and jkd also uses its forearms moreso than its elbows, kind of like the mantis

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

There seems to be two distinct sides in this discussion. The participants in one side have trained in Muay Thai. The other side has not.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think it's more the participants on one side who have trained in striking combat sports, the other side have not.

Mitch

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I don't know that anyone in an SD situation is just going to load up and throw a roundhouse kick first anyway, so why we are talking about this. A few nice long jabs, feint here and there and then the strike to above the knee or the thigh area is going to hurt the guy. Of course as most of us here know (and what is told to me time and again in the gym) is to NEVER assume no matter what you land that your opponent is going to be stopped by it. Now the leg kicks will cause so much disruption to the leg that after 1,2 or 3, they just won't be walking right and won't be able to use that leg at all. Perfect opportunity to just walk away. I like the leg kicks because you are at a lot less risk of KO'ing someone with a head shot and having them fall and get any number of serious injuries rather than a leg that might take a few weeks or months to heal.

7. Fujian Animal

i like thai kicks, but i like wing chun and jkd kicks better, not because they are better for everyone but because they are better for me.... the low roundhouse kick has its use, but i too prefer boxing to kicking or wrestling and will most likely use my kicking, and my wrestling, to get into a favorable position where i can pound on my opponent with my fists and elbows.... im told wingchun employs elbows at chumkiu and biujee, yet i have never learned biujee, i reached that level on my own through personal experience or by borrowing from other styles, whilst still keeping a jkd approach to compliment my wingchun..... i never learned traditional muaythai, but i did learn a thai kick or two, and i never learned jujutsu, but i learned a few locks and grabs, i never learned ninjutsu but i practice with nunchucks and throwing knives, i never learned krav maga but i learned a few gun disarms used in krav maga, etc etc but the core of my training has always been wing chun.... or jeetkunedo, whatever

8. Saved_in_Blood

Not to down Wing Chun, but many times I've seen them vs. a Thai boxer, they don't fair as well. Remember, people who use low kicks, also know how to punch too. You are also out of punching range with a nice push kick and then a quick leg kick, if you box and get hit with 2 leg kicks... you're done and may as well quit right there.

9. Fujian Animal

its bad to favor any style, but we tend to do it anyway - the general idea though is just to use whatever works for you personally, different individuals produce different results.... ive trained with a few mma guys and thai fighters, but i have yet to find one whose hands are as quick as mine, yet i will admit that my kicks were not as good as theirs, thai kicks are powerful, and i personally am not a kicker

10. Saved_in_Blood

Well you are correct that each person has their own thing. My instructor in kickboxing has ko'd several boxers because they had your line of thinking. Quick hands are great, but being able to use them efficiently is something totally different. Zab Judah had some of the fastest hands I've ever seen, and he never beat an elite fighter. Pacquaio is a good fighter, but was outsmarted and outboxed by Marquez in all of their fights even if he didn't win them all. I could go on and on, but brains and skill win fights.

11. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

It sounds like you are basically self taught, which explains a lot.

13. Saved_in_Blood

I agree, and while I LOVE boxing and agree that for SD it can be very useful, but the points Fujian is making are not making sense as far as ability to use what you know. If he indeed boxes, almost ANY boxer will tell you that controlling the distance with a good jab would be their first line of defense, not trying to get them on the ground where you would be able to use less of your punching ability. Sure you can ground and pound, but that's an art all in itself as well. A boxers feet are probably his greatest asset, and the better his footwork, the harder time you would have getting close enough to him, the more opportunities he has to pepper you with punches. A smart boxer will not rely on power until he is able to use it appropriately, if you can sting someone enough, and not have to render them unconscious, the better off you will be both morally and legally IMO of course.

Moving back to the idea of leg kicks, that same boxer who is used to sparring other boxers takes 1 kick to the leg... he might be able to shake it off MAYBE, a second kick to the same area his footwork will become totally disrupted and so will his ability to be very effective with punches. The leg just has more distance and is hard to get away from when someone is jabbing you and then out of nowhere that kick is hitting you after being blinded by the jab. People don't have to be fast to be sneaky.

If anyone has ever watched Miguel Cotto (which I'm sure they have), I was always amazed at how his feet weren't that fast, but he could cut the ring off with some of the more fleet footed boxers I have seen.

All of this is just again my opinion and how I would see it based on the way I get my butt kicked on a regular basis... so I have a lot of experience in that and most of the boxing tricks I have tried in the past I thought would work well... well they didn't :( I just got countered with another punch, kick, or knee, or clinch, or a throw. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 16, 2014