FBI warns of plans for nationwide armed protests next week

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xue Sheng, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

FBI warns of plans for nationwide armed protests next week

This just makes me so happy I work for a state government near the capital......happy happy joy joy

axelb likes this.
  2. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

There was already one in December here in Oregon. Not as bad as DC, but it was violent and threatening. Officers were assaulted.

Three days ago, a "stop the steal" extremist opened fire at the Federal courthouse in Portland, Oregon. Thankfully nobody was hit.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If only there was some unified ideology we could identify these people by.

axelb likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I'm tired of the whole ding dang thing...and everything else too

5. Dead_pool

6. Dead_pool

David Harrison and Grond like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This season of "America" is really hotting up! Can't wait to see the further plot twists, Gerard Butler turning up and the big season finale!

Thomas, Grond, axelb and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dead_pool

Do you think Peter Weller will reprise his role again?

I can't believe Philip K Dick guest wrote this season!

Grond and Botta Dritta like this.
  9. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I don't think Phillip K Dick could take enough drugs to write this dystopian narrative. In a way I feel sorry for USA. I may as a European been baffled by some of your Idiosyncrasies but I've never been a knee jerk 'hater' of its culture or politics like some maniacs of the modern left. But something has gone seriously wrong somewhere for there to be such extreme camps on either side between Proud boys and Woke ideologues to come to this. I think the internet and soundbite politics has divested so much nuance from discourse on the left and the right to the point that building any compromise/consensus for the future is impossible without being branded a traitor to 'X' cause. Plus you guys have guns. I really hope cooler heads prevail in the next few months. Furthermore the longer it goes on it gives every strongman dictator and authoritarian party around the world the excuse to say "You see ?! Democracy Baaad". We need US moderates to stand to the crease more than ever.

Grond likes this.
  10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Much more action than the UK series "Brexit" started off with some plot twists then just dragged on until for way too many seasons.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Dead_pool

I am still bemused by people blaming the "woke" left for this, this is wholey on the MAGA guys, they lost an election, and can't accept it, so they invaded the actual Capitol.

The American left isn't even that leftwing.

axelb likes this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

More like Stephen King crossed with William S Burrows with Margaret Atwood on top. Alcohol, meth, virus, and the pending collapse of civilization. Chauvinism of The Walking Dude. It's all there.

Positive outcome of all this is the books they will write about how we saved democracy. Assuming that mob doesn't eventually take control and burn all the libraries down, that is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Granted the Republicans cannot and should not be left off the hook for what happened. They created and enabled trump. They should own the mess that his most demented caused futhermore Its worrying that many republicans still won't condemn Trump. But my take was on the divergence of both left and right to maximum opposed ideologies.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dead_pool

^ that makes sense.

Part of the problem I belive is that, once you have to deal with a party that you believe to be doing a lot of bad things, then it's easy to label anyone in that party as enablers to doing bad things.

At least some of the republican don't belive they are doing very bad things (obviously that's a subjective call on their part), so they kickback and think the democrats are the ones doing very bad things.

Polarisation is a bad thing, but also it's the only rational option when you think the opposition are doing very bad things.

Its objective Vs subjective isn't it.

The big question is whether objectively "orange man is bad", at this point, I would say it's hard to argue he's a force for good.

I've always like this explaination of why FPTP voting systems encourage this trend too.

axelb likes this.
  15. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Woke people complain about microaggressions and "your privilege is showing" on internet forums. Trump's militiamen just killed a cop and hospitalized fourteen more in an attempt to kill certain members of Congress and take control of the US government for a despotic strongman figure. This isn't the first time and this sadly won't be the last. I really don't think they should be portrayed as two sides of the same coin.

Even setting aside "woke people" and talking about the "no face no case" antifa militants that have trashed the area around the federal courthouse in Portland...statistically they primarily restrict themselves to property damage (the stereotype of spraypainting a Starbucks exists for a reason)...but not assassination plots like we just witnessed. The cold hard statistics are that while left-wing radicals can do a lot of property damage, violent crime comes far more from the right wing than the left wing.

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Even the anarchist property damage is a specific statement.
    When police come out to prevent damage of private property, it proves the anarchists point about police and the state to the public:

The state exists to protect property and economic activity not people (exceptif they are deemed economically worthy), and the police function to enforce that.

David Harrison likes this.
  17. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

This is a much bigger statement than many realise. The US military is stating its mission to protect the outcome of the election, and to ignore any orders from civilians contrary to that.

Insane that it needed to be said.

18. David Harrison

I would disagree that woke culture is a phenomenon of the left. I see mostly left-of-centre liberals attempting to enforce political correctness. Left wingers tend to be more likely to be concerned with structural change, and would consider, for example, Disney sacking an actor with a history of transphobic tweets as rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. ie. they are more interested in finding a cure than treating the symptoms.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  19. Dead_pool

I don't think the position that people who are discriminated against tend to be poor, so all discrimination tends to actually be class warfare is wrong, but I do also think society uses identity politics to divide people, and that often ends up as another source of discrimination, both are right, and both can be wrong.

The overton window definitely comes into it, many right wingers are middle aged poor people who often feel let down by society, they listen to propoganda, and blame there problems on "the other", if we don't nip that in the bud, we'll have greater problems later on (see brexit).

One of the big issue leftists face, is not dividing their own group, and yet keep the overton window going in the right (left) direction.

Transphobia is bad, but concentrating on that, and then allowing the right wing to use that to split people with valid concerns (and there are some valid concerns) away from the overall movement would be a mistake.

A good example of this is the recent thread where the idea of getting rid of all women's divisions in sport was put forward, so that people who are TS wouldn't be unfairly excluded, when you exclude 51% of people, so as to not exclude 0.1% of people, something seems wrong.

But then I'm a utilitarian at heart. And it's easy when it's not my life on the tracks.

Mangosteen and David Harrison like this.
  20. David Harrison

Without getting into it here, I don't think that is a fair framing of views in that thread.

Anyway, political capital is as big a factor as economic capital. If you are discriminated against without redress, then you lack power in society.

Factionalism has aways been a problem for the left, mores than the right. I think that is due to the nature of conservatism; they can all agree that they don't like change!

Once you get further right than conservatism you get factionalism again. My take on that is that factionalism occurs when people are actually looking for change, whereas unity is more easily achieved when resisting change.

Dead_pool likes this.