Favourite Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Andy Murray, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Banjar Man

Banjar Man New Member

A walking cane is my favorite and a sturdy umbrella is a replacement.

2. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Yep!
    I am a bit partial to the cane myself ;)

3. Banjar Man

Banjar Man New Member

Do you train with it in your art? Most arts don't consider it as a weapon at all. Most people who like it train on their own. I do. Without a partner you can only progress so much.

4. WindyPhilosoph

WindyPhilosoph WHOOSH!!! ...that is all.

Katars are my favorite. They are just the most awesome devices ever made for punching.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

:whistle:

6. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Tbh; I haven't practiced much with the cane in a while,but I have just ordered new canes that I can use in practice with new people.
    Since I do FMA,about 95% translates extremely well a cane ;)
    The other 5% is using the crook.

Unfortunately,most people won't use a cane for 2 reasons;
    1- they think it's illegal
    and
    2- it's not "fashionable" to be seen with one.

But,I still have strong faith in them!

7. Brat

Brat Return of the Brat!!!

Anything I can use as a weapon that's near me when I need it.

As for traditional MA weapons, I prefer Nunchakus for how fun they are to swing, or to throw people with.
    And for actual usfulness it has to be the Dan Bong/Kubaton.

8. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

Fav weapons.

katana - for sheer cutting power, sharpness, simplicity, sleekness :love:
    nunchaku - for concealment :vanish:, ease of construction and usability in cqc
    high-power sniper rifle - you'll never see me coming and your years of MA practice won't mean f*** all when you get shot in the head :whistle:
    knife - usability as a tool and weapon, size, sheer coolness factor of all the different designs and types of knives :ninja2:
    short swords - wakizashi, gladius, etc. small but mighty :fight3:
    wushu spear but with functional tip - poke, poke, poke; bleed, bleed, bleed; die, die, die! :happy::happy::happy:

9. old palden

old palden Valued Member

1911 Colt .45 ACP

10. Banjar Man

Banjar Man New Member

Perhaps, we need to be really old to look fashionable carrying one anywhere. But you can carry an umbrella instead. If you train in walking cane, you will be as formidable with an umbrella, provided that it is a sturdy one.

11. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

I'll never understand this obsession with carrying weapons.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

nah me neither Scott.

The Bear.

13. ScottUK

Heh I mean come on. If I was living in a place where I needed to carry a sword hidden under my trenchcoat Highlander-stylee or sharpen the point on my umbrella and fill it with a nerve agent I bought on eBay, I'd move home.

I dunno about learning self defence to save my life - I'd end up stressing myself to death over whether my mrs would get home safe or not...

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah I would spend my time masterminding a revolution to overthrow whatever government had allowed my country to fall to such a state. I think some people out there really need a reality check.

The Bear.

15. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi Scott,

There are places in the world, and even in civilized countries where carrying a weapon is a good idea. What many people in Europe tend not to understand is the vast spaces, particularly in N. America where help (i.e. the police) have a response time of hours, not minutes due to the distances involved. If you're living in the middle of nowhere, and are attacked (in a rural home invasion, say) there simply is no one to help you, and you must fend for yourself, especially if you have family with you.

Also, it is important to carry a weapon if you live in an area frequented by large predators, or other dangerous animals. Some carry pistols to deal with rattlesnakes when working "out in the bush". Also, if a bear comes after you, you're pretty much dead unless you've got a firearm. "Playing dead" doesn't always work, and often gets the person killed. For example, black bears don't fall for it, but grizzlies can. The problem is, black bears can be BROWN, and hard to distinguish from a small grizzly. I wouldn't make the bet that I can tell the difference when confronted with a bear. Heck, even moose are very dangerous, and have been known to kill hikers... they are HUGE and bad-tempered. If you live in grizzly country, having a gun and carrying it while out in the wilderness is a really good idea.

In Florida, the state instituted concealed carry after a huge spike in rapes. The Miami police decided to offer a Defensive Pistol course for women, which was attended by literally thousands. The media covered the event, and rapes plummeted by 80% (or some other ridiculous figure), and have never returned to their pre-CC levels.

Those living in Europe can poo-poo the "weapons culture" in the U.S. as much as they want, but the simple fact of the matter is that the U.S. is not the U.K., and different standards must be applied. Countries like the U.S. and Canada are simply TOO LARGE to be policed effectively and consistently. Canada is larger in land mass than the U.S., with a population of only 33 million. The U.K. would fit into Canada 41 times with room left over. The fact of the matter is, sometimes you're all alone. Even in cities, 911 response is very slow. I recall once here in Calgary where the police took 45 minutes to respond to a 911 call for Break-and-Enter. When seconds count, help is only minutes (or hours) away.

Now, some people do carry weapons because they're wannabes. But for some people, it's simply a necessity.

Best regards,

-Mark

16. ScottUK

Hiya Mark,

I have no problems with weapons as part of the trade or for those who put themselves in harms' way (outdoors people etc) but I think that there are too many of these:
    ...who feed from these:
    U.S. gun culture? No problem. If I was forced to live somewhere that necessitated such a weapon (and I am an avid shooter here in the UK, by the way) I would carry a firearm - legally if I could, illegally if not. I have no problem with the 'rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6' mentality.

Its just this obsession with hidden martial arts weapons such as "I have a special harness made for my concealed Limited Edition Rambo Pig SkinnerĀ® knife" and "I would carry nunchaku disguised as sex toys" etc. Utter nonsense.

Oh, and thanks for the well thought out response to my potentially highly flammable post. Kudos to you.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  17. ScottUK

...oh, and:
    ...this is awesome to hear. Must've took some guts for someone amongst the powers-that-be to stand up and instigate this...

18. old palden

old palden Valued Member

How about sex toys disguised as nunchaku?

19. ScottUK

I don't know what's more embarrassing... ;)

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ok, so to just sort out the idiots in the street I copied the 'Gangs of New York'

A cleaver in the right hand and a 12" kitchen knife in the left.

Usually such a nice little cul-de-sac