Favourite Throw?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kuniku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

Does that mean that sacrifice throws aren't scored?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I took that as meaning they attempt a tomo-nage and it fails and you capitalise...in other words although you ened up dominant you get no credit because it was their screw up as opposed to your attack

3. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Assume you are asking about the Chinese wrestling rule.

In the old rule, as long as your opponent's body touches the ground before your body does. You win that round. If both of your body touches on the ground at the same time, it's a tie (no score). Whoever wins 2 rounds out of 3, he will be the winner.

The modern rule (encourage big throws) is:

- If your body land on top of your opponent's body, you get 1 point.
    - If you remain standing after throwing your opponent, you get 2 points.
    - If you throw your opponent over your head and also remain standing, you get 3 points.

Whoever gets 6 points first will be the winner. So remain standing after throw is important.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Assume you are talking about Chinese wrestling and not Judo. If you apply tomo-nage, no matter what the outcome may be, your opponent wins that round by default. This is why you don't see tomo-nage used in Chinese wrestling. I have seen a demo that the thrower could use tomo-nage to throw his opponent just by bending his body back without touching his back on the ground. That was quite amazing.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I was talking about Judo

6. Kuniku

I was replying to this post by Bomber:

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To be wrong once is bad enough. To be wrong on both is even worse. :cry:

8. Bomber

Bomber Valued Member

Sacrifice throws are scored in judo (i.e. you drop and throw your opponent). The rule on control means that the when you drop of your own accord your opponent does not score i.e. when you drop to your back to do a sacrifice throw your opponent does not score as you chose to drop therefore they did not have control.

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

It's quite possible that Tomoe Nage and Sumi Geishi will be more common (and drop Seoi Nage less) as leg grabs are not allowed under new IJF rules, including transition from standing to groundwork. Neil Adams has a piece about this in the latest Matside, the BJA magazine

10. Kuniku

thanks for clarifying =)