Favourite grip(s)

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Van Zandt, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What's yours?

I'm shorter than most of my training partners. I favour one hand on the collar and the other wrapped around their opposite arm (grabbing the belt or jacket, like a half-bearhug) if I'm doing backwards throws like ouchi-gari. Or a double lapel grip for forward throws like tai-otoshi, or any foot sweep.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I like to dominate the centre line with both my grips, and with my feet, So a closeish, 45 degrees bent arm lapel grip with them taking the elbow outside, and a sleeve grip thrust into their pocket, with a center line step in - is my set point for starting to set up throws.

This works great in both BJJ and Judo, and also works ok in Nogi using an underhook or head tie.

The sleeve grip I most use is the hook grip, I did try and use pistol grips, But thats a nono in comp judo nowadays.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I stopped being blonde and found out on over-under clinch is legal in Judo. This is now my favourite grip. Especially with o-uchi-gari.

Also been working left-side o-uchi-gari still with a right-handed lapel grip like in the video below:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6s43pS0zk0"]Ouchi Gari set up - YouTube[/ame]

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Not a fan of that grip, can be reversed with a Ganseki Nage motion (think an armbar using your neck). For ouchi, not that I go for it much I rather traditional sleeve lapel and drive with a bow and arrow type arm movement.

My fave grips is like the over under shown here but instead of reaching far back like that I seek lapel from there. Great for ashi barai and slips into osoto gari, Kouchi gari and seio Nage when you switch your legs from left forward (left gripping lapel) to right leg forward and right arm swimming under their right.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

We did right-handed seoi-nage with a left hand lapel grip on Friday (presuming that's what you mean). Made it so much easier to get the right amount of body contact.

6. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I guess I would use that grip but more likely for the opposite direction into Sumi Gaeshi (and not just because I missed a month of training from an Ouchi Gari landing elbow down on my hand). My preference is for Osoto Gari or any of the Goshis: Harai, O, Tsurikomi but my grip and kuzushi is still my biggest weakness

7. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yep- great entry for all those throws mentioned.

8. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Makes sense. Past week or two my training partner and I have drilled yoko Tomoe (from regular sleeve lapel) and attempted full resistance to the throw, bringing in the sumi gaeshi hook coupled with spreading their arms to break helps get thing moving, but we need to recreate the kuzushi from the ground by rocking back and forth in order to trigger the throw.

If we completely fail we switch off to tripod sweep or ashi garami sweep into leg locks.

Drilling 50 each before class has been very productive for our game.