Favourite deflections for chudan mawashi geri?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by LemonSloth, Nov 2, 2013.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Hey peeps

A few weeks ago I was at my kickboxing class and during the training, we were drilling throwing a mid level roundhouse/chudan mawashi geri. I naturally resorted to dropping my body weight back and slight off centre, rocking my weight a little onto the back leg and essentially "slapping" their heel with my hand to help them travel along a little further than they wanted to go, slightly unbalancing them in the process. I was happy with this movement.

I watched some of the other guys during the same drills and they were all performing (essentially) gedan uke/gedan barai to "block" the shin bone as it came in with some throwing both their elbows in a guard position straight into the kick. I tried it once gently to decided it was a fabulous way to get the bones in my arm broken.

So it got me wondering over the past few weeks - what's everyone elses' favourite defensive movement for a chudan mawashi geri?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ballshot maegeri :evil:

3. LemonSloth

Bad Hannibal, bad!!!

I don't think they'd let me do that in any comp :p

4. Hannibal

All joking aside I entered a point tournament for poops and giggles four years ago. I faced a flicky and damn fast 17 yr old who soundly beat me 8-2, but that's not the story....Opening call by the ref he threw a lighting fast roundhouse and was very suprised by my even faster kick in his plums. I was a lot more careful after that and that assertion of control over my visceral responses probably cost me the match

You can take the boy out of JKD........... :)

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Move out, or in, and hide your elbow.

whilst normally I dislike systema, this video is pretty good - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boo_a-_7XPU"]round kick defense - YouTube[/ame]

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Few I like,

I like to use a hooking mawashi Uke to take them off balance and take out the supporting leg, Or go inside the kick and Kouchi gari the support.

7. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Similar to Hannibal and Fusen. Either a straight mae-geri or leg-jam into their upper thigh/hip fold, or angle in towards them and take it on my arm/body at the level of their thigh (while hitting them with my other side), or block with the elbow point (with angled movement where possible). Where possible, I try and move inboard of the kick and towards them.

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If you aren't bound by kumite rules, grab the foot as it hits you and rotate the other way. Use your open hand to hit the opponent on the shoulder and knock him off balance. There are other ways to go about such a counter attack, such as kicking the attacker's other knee, turning your back to take the impact of the kick. In my experience, the more you spar and watch others spar, the more you figure this kind of thing out. Hope this helps! Osu!

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Depends on ruleset. Can you grab and/or sweep? As their right leg makes the kick, circle your right leg in towards their back leg to bring you inside the arc of the kick and away from the power.

Catch the kicking leg if at all possible, grasp their shoulder and sweep the supporting leg.

Mitch

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If you're close enough that you're in danger from a chudan mawashi, then kizami zuki in the face.

If you're at the outer range, slide back a bit and let it miss you.

I'd tend to think that if someone's really hammering into you with hard chudan kicks, there's not a lot you can do to deflect them, short of blocking them with your shin, which I'm too wussy to do much of. You've either got to discourage them by hitting them in the face whenever their leg twitches, so they've got other things to think about, or gain some distance and rethink your tactics.

I would say that for karate, if you're eating chudan mawashi geris, you're either not close enough or not far enough. If you're in throwing distance or, for the more kyokushin inclined, digging your knuckles into their ribs distance, then you're at the worst distance for them to throw chudan kicks. If you're out of range, then not many people will use chudan mawashi to gain distance because it's too easy to see coming and most people can cover the distance with a maegeri more quickly and strongly.

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well said.

I will add the caveat that I often close distance with a gedan round kick as it can be difficult to land an effective mae geri on a person who is bent double.

Personally I prefer to advocate stepping inside the circle of chudan maewashi geri and letting them bounce off your lats while you go for the face and try to knock them over. That might not be allowed in a number of competitive rulesets. :)

12. LemonSloth

I've also seen Savate guys move into the kick so they intercept it a few inches earlier with their body but I've never been brave enough to try it.

Depends on the competition I end up competing in with them. I do like this one, but I tend to find its' a bit awkward to grab their t-shirts and what-not when I'm wearing my boxing gloves so I end up just trying to put my fist through their head rather than grabbing on.

I'd agree with this. When we're allowed to move I don't have a great deal of problems with mawashi geri and tend to be alright especially if people try and rely on them too much. But there's also a lot of drill done in the KB class where you have to keep one or both feet on a particular spot and drill your deflections and so forth.

The only deflection I'm trying to figure out is a close range knee/hiza geri. I haven't had a lot of people throw close range knees at me :eek:. The last time someone did try it I ended up flinching and striking them in the happy sack. Really need to work on my ability to avoid those. Suggestions peeps?

13. LemonSloth

LOL, you are a bad man. For all you know that could have been that kids' first outing, now he'll always have memories of the crazy dude kicking him in the gonads :p

Funnily enough I tend to throw more gedan mawashi geri in kickboxing than I do any where else :dunno:.

I'm not sure how they feel about taking their partners down though, I'm gonna have to ask them.

14. Hannibal

He was a member of team Canada....you were right about the second part though; he point blank refused to face me in continuous

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What level did you enter in at? :p

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sounds like about groin level.

17. Hannibal

Adult Senior grade - I could've fought in the veteran category, but that seems pointless

It was just for fun really. The club I teach out of competes at WKC (and as an aside at the 2013 worlds recently they took a few world championships) and I was popping in to see how this tournament was doing. On a whim I entered. I took second in point and first in continuous. Not exactly a massive talent pool I was in, but when 95% of my arsenal was excluded I think it was a valuable exercise in just having fun with martial arts! :)

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like going with the direction of the kick, taking the sting off it and hooking it with the same side arm (like a circular block type move).
    Then boot his standing leg and/or hook the neck and knee him, reap out his standing leg or plain old just run forwards (ploughing in Thai I think it's called) until he can't hop no more or hits something.
    It's a tad risky though as you can eat the kick a bit. :(
    Great when it works!

19. Hannibal

I learned a similar technique off Marc Mcfann but you take a HUGE step off as you wrap and basically make it a really nasty takedown

Then of course we have this as a potential counter.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itUSXrguF0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5itUSXrguF0[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  20. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Nice move, funny shorts...
    Problem with catching the leg in this way though- it can hurt and he scores (in point stop anyway).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014