favourite all time boxer

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by big e, Nov 19, 2002.

1. big e

big e New Member

ello MAPers
    who would be your favourite top 3 all time boxers and why?
    ill tell u mine after i get a few answers. hehehe

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Sounds like a new topic to me :D

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

who else than muhammad ali then tyson(i hate it when he admits that lennox was the best ;)) and third of course myself :D :p
    -TkdWarrior-

4. big e

big e New Member

m o d e s t

- lol

5. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I'll give a vote for Muhammed Ali, but not Tyson. He wasn't one of the best. He had alot of power, and strted off well, but look at what happened with Holyfield and Lewis.
    Eric Morales is one of the best fighters out there right now. Does anyone else know who he is?
    I gotta give a vote for Mickey Ward too, a guy with that much heart deserves the recogniton.
    Roy Jones jr, although he hasn't been challenged significantly lately, he will move up to heavyweight anf fight Ruiz.
    This list could go on.

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

yup i agree with u binski...remember last fight against lennox...after fight i heard tyson...he was like lennox is god... i know tyson had some very very good days... but admitting that sort of defeat ...i didn't expected from the kind guy tyson was...
    i hav heard about Eric morales but didn't knew much about him..
    -TkdWarrior-

7. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Tysons words after the Lewis fight just showed me hw much of an act everything before the fight was, just to drive up the cash value.

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol yup i agree binski20...
    -TkdWarrior-

9. stump

stump Supersub

Tyson should have gone the whole way and asked Lewis if he could spare him any change :(

my favourite boxers of all time would have to be

Barry McGuigan
    Steve Collins
    Ricky Hatton

i never seen any of the greats like Ali fight so I can't really speak about them. I've always preferred the lighter divisions boxers....all heavyweight fights I've seen become slugfests. I guess my list only proves how little I follow boxing.

10. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

Ali, Tyson, and....well, those are the only two as my favorite
    Unless I turn to female boxers, Lelia Ali (did I misspell her first name:confused: )

11. YODA

I don't think any heavyweight past or present could have stood up to a 19 year old Mike Tyson.

What a waste :(

12. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

That would depend. 19 year old Tyson against another in their prime????
    I think he could have been beaten. Tyson had talent, no doubt about it. Alot of power, lightening reflexes and lightening speed for a heavy weight. However, he was very one dimensional. Seek and destroy. When a taller fighter can keep him at bay, he's lost.
    There is no way to tell for sure, but I think Ali could have handled him. He beat a young george foreman which no one thought he could. Foreman had more power in his prime than Tyson, just by his size.
    Of course, nothing can ever be proven, and remains opinions and debates.
    I will agree with you that young Tyson was amazing.
    But not the most amazing ever.

13. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm...ok here's mine -

Bruce Lee :D [He also boxed remember?]
    Mike Tyson
    Umm....me :D
    |Cain|

14. YODA

Bwaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........

:p :p :p :p :p

15. Cain

Cain New Member

hmm.....I did'nt get u :confused:
    |Cain|

16. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I have to say Mike Tyson v Rocky Marciano
    Two great sluggers - i would love to have seen a fighyt between these two in there prime.
    Gorra say i think Marciano would have won on a KO!
    Tyson could take less of a punch than Marciano could.
    I don't think it would have lasted long both going for the KO!
    Any opinions on this one particular fight?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2002
  17. Jay

Jay New Member

Ok, here's my favourites :

No 1 .... Gotta be Muhammad Ali ( ALI BUMBAYA !!!! )
    No 2's .... All of these - George Foreman (he was an absolute MONSTER !!) - Ken Norton (Strange guard ... I've tried using it during sparring but only manage to get a good dig in the ribs! And he broke Ali's Jaw) - Young Tyson (Scary Scary Dude !!!)
    No 3 .... Marco Antonio Barrera ( Mexican who destroyed Prince Naseem - No messing around just a PROPER boxer )

Jay

18. cyclepath

cyclepath New Member

1. Muhammad Ali, obviour reasons
    2. Tyson, before his split with Cus Damato(sp?) he was awesome
    3. Roy Jones pure class

19. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

It was truly a shame that damato could not finish what he started with Tyson. He moulded him into a great fighter, but in my eyes, he never was able to finish. Tyson had alot of natural ability and talent. However, I believe that if damato had lived to finish what he had started, we would see a more well rounded Mike Tyson today. In the eyes of other trainers, he was already Iron Mike!! What more did he need??? I always felt damato could have given him some depth. Mike Tyson is famous for some of the same reasons as Ali, although in a different way. They both had a great amount of natural skill. However, both are also known for there actions inside the ring as well as out. I AM NOT saying Tyson is to be compared to Ali. Tyson's actions outside of the ring were less desireable, but nonetheless, have helped boost him to superstardom. That along with the way he tossed aside anyone and everyone in his prime.

20. FISH

FISH New Member

Early Cassius Clay/Ali when he kept his damn hands up hard to beat someone that fast with an 82 inch reach :D

Early to middle Tyson before the Buster Douglas scam ala Don King promotion lol :D After that prison,steroids,and a ballooned 240lb. slowpoke came out.Tyson fans know he was 210 to 215 tops in all his previous fights.

Sugar Ray Robinson can't believe no one mentioned him:p Perhaps the greatest combo of speed and power that boxing has or will ever see:cool: