Favorites styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by humblegojuguy, Jan 31, 2004.

1. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

I want you to tell me what style you do and what you like about it. Then tell me one other style that you don't study that you think is great and why you think it is great. Have fun with this people.

2. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

Enough threads like this on here for you to check out - a lot of us will be tired of this one by now.

But I will indulge you.
    I study Shaolin Mok ka as my main art, which I like because of the huge range of techniques it encompasses, including striking, some grappling, internal aspects and a wide range of weapons.

The second part is a little harder - if I think a style is great, why am I not studying it? Or if I am not studying it, how do I know if it is great or not? I'm going to go for BJJ, which is not taught in my area so I have not experienced it personally, but from what I have seen of it makes it the grappling art I would most like to study.

3. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I like Choy Lay Fut ... It's awesome ..... it has a mixture of joint locks, long arm, short arm techniques, kicks, knee strikes .... the whole ... thingy ... ( u know how it is) ..

4. redi knight

redi knight New Member

im not in anything right now..."the way of no way" i guess :D .
    id like to check out BJJ( i need to grapple better,plus maybe they'll have some chicks in the class ,lol)

or muay thai(looks very practical and effective)
    mmm..capoeira..,looks acrobatic as well as athletic.maybe Jeet kune do, because bruce lee came up with it, and to see what its like.

..geez, i could just go on and on.

5. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

I do Tkd and Jkd right now. I like the physical benefits of Tkd and the practicality of Jkd. I would however like to take something like BJJ or aikido or something to make up for the lack of hand techniques in Tkd. That way I could be fairly proficient in both kicking and hand techniques.

6. kickcatcher

kickcatcher Banned Banned

I do TKD at the mo because I like the instructor and I get to keep my boxing-based punching from going rusty.

I intend to go over the muay Thai, but would love to try Savate, BJJ and MMA. I admire Judo heaps but never really felt suited when I did it.

7. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i do tkd and what do i think about it? hmmm its awesome and has strengthen me physically and mentally and i love my master hes great.

a m/a that i dont study but like... hap ki do of course! i like it alot my dad is in it and has learned so much from it. i am very interested in taking it but im only 16..too young. but when im 18 i'll most definelty will take it.

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I do TKD. I like it because it has lots to do with speed, has flashy kicks, but also has nasty moves if you know how to do them.

A style that I don't take, but would love to, is Aikido. I'd love to learn how to manipulate someone else's balance, instead of trying to use mine against his.

PL

EDIT: Why do you need to be 18 to learn Hap Ki Do?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  9. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I study muay thai.
    I wish I studyed BJJ aswell.
    I would also like to study wing chun but don't have the patience to get even slightly good at it. :)

10. Yaaatoob

Yaaatoob New Member

I study Shaolin Seven Star Praying Mantis, which I like because of the range of attacks and also the Monkey footwork is great.

I'd love to study some of the other Shaolin animal styles someday, Dragon especially.

11. BryanX

BryanX Valued Member

Well, at this time, I'm really interested in:

-Tae Kwon Do(for the kicking ability)
    -Xing Yi Quan(for good accurate punches)
    -Muay Thai Kickboxing
    -Boxing(for the various punching techniques)
    -Wrestling(to develop good grappling and takedowns)

And maybe a little bit of other styles as well. Afterwards, I'll break them down and use it my own way, however and whatever works for me. This way, I'm doing MY own Jeet Kune Do.

12. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

Thats great people keep it coming. Any websites from anyone ?