Favorite Submission/MMA Fighters

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Korpy, May 10, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Who's your favorite fighters from what the title says.

You can choose between UFC, Pride, and K-1.

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here I'll give you a few.

Royce Gracie
    Chuck Liddel
    Frank Shamrock

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Let's see.

Ken Shamrock
    David Abbot
    Tito Ortiz

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Korpy, please use the edit button; it's there for a reason :rolleyes:

As for my faverioute submission fighter/MMA fighter, it would have to be Genki Sudo in first place, followed by Takanori Gomi, Randy Couture, Norifumi Yamamoto, Sakuraba, Quinton Jackson, oh, and Jeremy Horn.

5. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

i just finished reading a semi biography on the ken shamrock. That guy was a hard.
    lot of respect for him now. So hes now one of my fav's. But the croation sensation is still no. 1

6. impala

impala New Member

i second that.

7. AdriftQuasar

AdriftQuasar New Member

Matt Hughes
    Royce Gracie
    Vitor Belfort

8. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Fedor Emelianenko, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddel, Takanori Gomi, Hidehiko Yoshida and Kazushi Sakuraba (not much of a fighter anymore but meh.)

And by the looks of things Ryo Chonan and Kazuhiro Nakamura will soon join those ranks.

9. T1981

T1981 New Member

Cro Cop
    Chuck Liddel
    George St Pierre
    Shogun Rua

10. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Carlos Newton
    Alexei Ignashov
    Royler Gracie
    Kazushi Sakuraba

11. Stan O'Kella

Stan O'Kella Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Rickson Gracie
    Frank Shamrock
    Ken Shamrock
    Vitor Belfort
    Mark Kerr
    Tito Ortiz

12. JiuJitsu500

JiuJitsu500 Valued Member

The best MMA fighters of all time are(in my opinion)

Rickson Gracie(400+ wins, 0 losses, beat all of Prides and UFC top guys)
    Bas Rutten(22 of his last fights are wins, record is 29-4-1 i think)
    Mirko "Cro Cop" Filopovic(have you seen the Silva CroCop fight?)
    Vanderlai Silva(after losing to Ortiz, he decided to get good, and did)
    Randy Couture(30+ years of wrestling + 9 years of BJJ = the great one)

these are my top five

others are Ken Shamrock(his brother sucks), Kevin Randelman(knocked out CroCop), Royce Gracie(first 3 UFC winner, broke his foot kicking a guy on the fourth, and beat Akibono), Vitor Belfort(was in top five, lost respect after the Ortiz loss), Chuck Liddel(need i say anything?), Duane Ludwig(beat the crap out of Genki Sudo), Genki Sudo(funny as hell, knocked out Royler Gracie), Kazushi Sakuraba(big and evil, he'll beat you up), Igor Vorchanchyn(from IFC, he knocked out all three of his first fights in one night, in under one minute), Fedor Emelianenko(try to beat this guy, anybody, he is one of the toughest men alive), Matt Hughes(i don't need to explain, Trigg being carried and choked the same way two times? genius) Jeremy Horn(why explain this guy, he is a madman)

I can't think of more right now, but as you can see, I love all great fighters, I like Tito Ortiz's fighting ability, but he talks too much, remember hoe he said he would beat Ken Shamrock, uh, no, got tapped by being hit in the back of the head.

Frank Shamrock should have gotten better over the past 13 years, but no, he is still good, but Tito showed him what's up, then so did that guy from UFC 51, when Shamrock fell twice. can't remember the name.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

the Legends
    Shamrock {frank and ken were BOTH amazing}
    Rickson.
    Liddle
    Couture
    Silva
    and i don't care what anyone says. I like Tanner and Silva.
    Mir is looking promising as well.

14. JiuJitsu500

yes, i'll agree with your statement, both frank and ken WERE both amazing. they were great, but over the evolution of grappling being not so good from the new three minute rules, the are not so good anymore, but i wouldn't fight them.

Even Tanner=good
    Frank Mir=good

if you mean silvia, i'd disagree, i don't like him, but i know people who do, so i won't say anything, he made it to UFC.

Also, i forgot to add Andre Arlovski, knocked down Tim Silvia(a moutnian of a human), then footlocked him. great.

15. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

i don't like Tim Silvia at ALL.

but i love Silva and damn i forgot Arlovski too, hes not a fave, but i do like him. hes a monster.

16. JiuJitsu500

I hate Tim Silvia too, i thought you meant him, thank god you didn't.

yeah, arlovski will beat anyone else in the UFC i think, and will beat cabbage in the next one i think.

his best runner ups are Liddel(too bad about the weight classes, huh?), Coutoure, Silva, Cro Cop, or any of my five guys.

weight classes suck! old UFC and IFC rule!

17. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

I'm not very impressed with the IFC. and the weight classes are important, otherwise. Kimo and Shamrock would dominate everyone on weight alone.
    I think Arlovski would kill couture. Liddle has a chance. Belfort would be a nice match up. Frank Mir has alot of potential.

18. JiuJitsu500

weight class is not important, if you knew who Royce Gracie or Rickson are, you would know it's not.

Royce wasn't even 170 pounds when he beat Akibono, and almost all of his fights in the UFC's were people who way overweighed him.

his rcord says three losses, but i know he only lost one for real. in pride, it looked like a choke he was asleep, but after the ref stopped it, he got up in like a quarter second, and everyone who has seen a choke knows that when you're out, you are gone for a while. the second "loss" was a stop when he kicked a huy in the nuts, hehe. the third was real, i forgot how though.

anyway, Rickson fought over 400 matches when he weighed 185 pounds, give or take 3 punds. he always made sure his opponents were heavier, and most of them were over 210 pounds.

In wrestling or boxing weight matters, as a 112 lb wrestler stands no chance of beating a 189, 215, or heavyweight, because the heavy guy will win from weight. Boxing would be the same.

In NHB, it's not. If you get in a fight on the street, and the guy outweighs you by 150lbs, will you stop from his weight, even tough you're better than him? no, you say you are a grappling god, so you know you can beat him from skill. same with me, i know i can beat a guy 150 lbs more than me(though i weigh 250, not much room for a bigger guy) from skill.

Weight is not important, my cousin weighs 185, and we both have been training in the same stuff, but he beats me from speed, but i have WAY more power. the skill on my part is lower too.

19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Weight is not the determining factor, but it plays a signifigant role. Skill, experiance and tactic are what determine the fight, period, that applies even more so to grappling.

20. JiuJitsu500

yes, i thought you didn't acknowlegde that for a second. whew!

yeah, i guess it does play some role, but pit a 400 pound nothing against a purple belt in BJJ who weighs 170, see what happens. people underestimate grapplers too much.

oh well, i gues this thread is useless now.