Favorite punch?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by cowzerp, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

guys this ant an opinon question there is an answer...and you jab guys got it wrong.
    its the cross.

i know the jab is sets up everything (and mighty good defensivly too) not to say it is not important, a guy can go a long way on a jab...and for almost all beginers i say...when in doublt jab....jab to get in and jab on the way out.

however. ...watch a bit of boxing....the object is to win, and personally i dont want to dance my way to a victory....i want to hurt ya.

most knock outs are done with a cross..alot of times its bunches of punches...but the cross is ussally the one to do the job.

sespecally at lower levels.

so use that jab...but use it to set up the cross, work the body sure ...to lower the hands to delever the cross, great hook ....stunns them for a real big cross.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

this isn't strictly boxing more just punchingin general, but in my opinion if you want to hurt someone I'd say a left overhook haymaker. It goes straightover a lot of people's guard.

3. Nii

Nii Valued Member

Right hook for me.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

As a short southpaw I love in-fighting, so the body hook and uppercut do it for me. I love using these particularly in Tae Kwon Do sparring, which is mostly side kicks and backfists (forgive me for over-generalising!). If I face a tall leggy fighter I work my way into the inside, catch him in the ribs and it's all over.

5. PaFF

PaFF Valued Member

Ken's flaming dragon punch
    LOL

Opps this is a serious thread, sorry.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  6. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

My favorite punch is the one that knocks him out.

7. JayC2301

JayC2301 New Member

Here's everyone else under the impression it was an 'opinion' thread.

Yeah the object of boxing is to win, but look at FMJ knocking out Hatton - he did it with a jab. Lennox Lewis always worked behind his stiff jabs as well. Jabs hurt, simple as!

Personally I like the "Chuck Liddell" right :D

8. Topher

Topher allo!

Quick question....

Are boxers allowed to alternate between orthodox and southpaw... even in a fight? Or do they just stick with one or the other? Would it be a good tactic to switch or would that be unfair (a looked down on)?

9. JayC2301

JayC2301 New Member

NO, the're allowed to switch - and do some do so regularly. Junior Witter is the one who comes to mind for doing it in his fights, but there are many more.

It's usually a good tactic - providing you are competant at fighting from both stances.

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This is not an opinion thread? :confused:

What is it then, a bacon, sausage and eggs thread? :p

11. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

My favorite punch is the straight lead... =)

12. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

When I started boxing, I favored a straight right. The more I play, the more I'm learning to appreciate the jab.

13. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

i find lately I've really been able to read and work off of the cross. so I love when my opponent throws the cross. I would have to say my favorite punch to throw is the left hook. I never look to throw it, or favor any particular punch, but I fight with a left lead (left handed) and the hook always seems to find my opponents jaw in a match.

14. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

southpaw, right jab. even tho im right handed it's just so fun to use your power hand as your lead hand

15. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

I be a southpaw and I love the jab. It's really good for keeping the distance and as an opener for combos. Definately the most versatile punch in the whole wide world!

I have also been told mine is quite fast when it needs to be!

16. kingpa

kingpa Valued Member

Dont have a favourite punch, have a favourite result, if you have a favourite punch, you may train/drill it to the exclusion of the others and in a fight, can waist time setting up for that punch when you may well have had several opportunities to end the fight with any other punch

17. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

Boxers dont pick a punch and drill it!!
    they practise all and its normal to have a favourite punch, usually the 1's your best at!

18. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

no you are not allowed to alternate....early ina boxers life someone catches him in one of the two stances....at this point he is labeled a southpaw or an orthadox fighter.

at this point he must remain in thew given stance....and register as the given stance at the city court house.
    should he move to a new area he must re register in the said area and by law inform his neighbors of his stance.

...or am i thinking of someting else

19. chof

chof Valued Member

i like a corkscrew hook myself, very decieving and difficult to counter

20. Topher

Topher allo!

Was that meant to be funny? Nice try anyway...