Favorite Fighter?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Trent Tiemeyer, May 7, 2003.

1. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Bas Rutten

2. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

3. Trent Tiemeyer

A wee bit cocky now, aren't we?:cool:

4. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Hey, don't step into the fray if you think you're gonna get whupped!

:D

5. Trent Tiemeyer

*steps into crane stance*:)

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Genki Sudo :D

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Doh! Just beat me to it! Sudo's gotta rate as one of the all time best, if just for his WWE style entrances! ;)

8. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Big Fan of Sudo as well,
    Also a fan of Vitor Belfort, and Vanderlei Silva is just plain scary :D

9. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

Yeah, I go for Vanderlai Silva. That dude has some amazing striking skills and can play the game his own way. He really controls a fight.

But yeah - scary bugger!

10. Jay

Jay New Member

I like Genki Sudo, but more in a submission wrestling environment - the clips circulating are awsome. But in Vale Tudo I feel he tries to frustrate his opponents too much with his un-authodox stances and kicks ... Still cool though - but I don't like his entrances, he came into UFC 42 as a woman !! :D

I've struggled to think of my top fighter - I don't like 'ground and pounders' (I think Matt Hughes is unbelievable, but I get a bit bored watching his fights) - I would have to say Mario Sperry is my No 1, he can stand and fight (if you haven't seen the Ninja V's Sperry fight - WATCH IT ! :) ) and his ground skills are amazing.

The Axe murderer is also one of my favourites :D

Jay

11. Jamo

Jamo New Member

Until someone dethrones him, I will have to say my new favorite is Fedor Emilienko. That Russkie put the G & P in ground n pound! I've never seen ANYONE hit as hard and accurate as that guy. As far as overall technique is concerned, however, would still have to be Frank Shamrock. I look forward to see him back in the MMA scene. Hopefully, we can see him mixing it up with the fighters in PrideFC. THEN we'll see what kind of pressure he can overcome (or not).

12. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Ken & Frank Shamrock
    Kazushi Sakuraba
    Marco Ruas
    Ricco Rodriguess
    Carlos Newton
    Wanderlay Silva
    Pat Melitech

13. ratman

ratman Valued Member

i ve just seen the pride fight between the two gracie brothers and Kazushi Sakuraba. And i must say i m "hooked". I last saw gracie fight in UFC 1,and 2 or 3 and he kicked ass. But In pride sakuruba used kicks to keep him penned to the floor( in intense pain i must say)
    Does it mean brazilian JJ dont have any answers to kicks?
    Wot fighting style do the japanese team use.

14. totality

totality New Member

finally someone mentiones saku, thank you acekicken!

as far as entertainment goes, my favorite fighter is probably sudo.
    submissions: probably give it to nog
    striking: mirko filipovic, vitor belfort, and vanderlei silva.

15. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

I'm sorry but my all time fave fighter is Royce Gracie.

with rgd to more modern times: Pat Miletich, Carlos Newton.

16. totality

totality New Member

i just saw a highlight reel of hayoto sakurai...now that's entertaining!

17. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Rickson Gracie is de Man!!

18. ratman

ratman Valued Member

rOYCE gracie was good in the ufc, until i saw this pride video. Dont know how recent it was but his corner threw in the towel. He took such a beating. Until then i d never heard of sakubura.
    I know nothing bout brazilian jj. Does anyone know if Brazilian jj include kicks to their training?

19. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Saku is an excellent fighter, how could I forget the 'gracie hunter'!!

ratman,
    A BJJ school that adheres to the Gracie method of teaching will teach basic kicks. If you look at Renzo and Royler Gracie's book they demonstrate a side kick to the knee.

There is also a method of kicking from a downed position. Sakuraba countered Royce's attempts very well, but Rickson displayed what it was capable of when he used kicks to damage Funaki's knee. Also, Renzo used an up-kick from the ground to KO Oleg Taktarov(a former UFC champ).

20. saikyou

saikyou New Member

marco ruas