Favorite Catch moves

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Pitfighter, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

What are some of the more popular and effective catch submissions and from what position?

2. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

Catch wrestling does not adhere to the positional theory of BJJ... In catch wrestling submissions are done from multiple positional relationships. In catch wrestling the type of submission is defined by how it effects the skeleton of the opponent or a specific relationship between the wrestlers skeleton and that of the opponent... catch submissions can be classified as chin locks, top wrist locks, side wrist locks, straight arm locks, neck compressions, toe holds, key locks, and pain holds...

Billy Wicks points to the need for every catch wrestler to master three moves... chin lock, side wrist lock, toe hold... by mastering them from all possible positions the wrestler learns to see the opponents skeleton clearly... these three also lead to other submission and keep the wrestler in a safe postional relationship or allow the wrestler to change postions while attacking with a submission...

Basically the opponent and relationship with the opponent will decide which hold and from which position will work best... so I can't really give a hard and fast answer to your question...

take care, steve

3. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Hi Rubberband,

You don't know if catch is taught in Sydney, Australia do you? I did a Google search but could not really find anything.

4. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

Sorry Punchy,

I have no idea... it is difficult to find a real catch teacher anywhere... If I can help you just let me know...

steve