Favorite Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Grond, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Just to take it slightly off topic but i agree will Lomanchenko, his footwork is unbeliveable to watch. To me he has keep some of the pure beauty of the amateur style which seems to get lost in the transition to the pro's and obviously can handle the pro style.

A pleasure to watch. Hope he goes far :)

2. puma

puma Valued Member

I am really surprised Winky Wright got a mention here. Don't get me wrong, can't argue with his record, but well, I'm surprised. He was on the Jones v Ruiz undercard, and when he got announced to the ring the crowd let out one big collective sigh. One guy near me asked me to wake him up when it was over. Not that Wright was terrible, just everyone knew what was coming, a long fairly uneventful fight just before the main event that we were all dying to see. We was right.

I was watching Nigel Benn a few months back. Now he was exciting! I think his fight with McClellan, (think I spelt that right), wasa probably the best I have seen, just nudging Morales-Barrera into second. Against Barkley and Dewitt he was just ferocious. Talking of British fights, if you haven't seen them, check the Eubank v Thompson fights out. Awesome.

One of my other favourites, who I can't believe I didn't mention earlier, is Morales. I could never understand how someone with not one muscle in his body could take such a pounding! I always wanted him and Naz to get it on when Naz was hot. What a fight that would have been.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Winky is undeservedly underrated - he is POETRY to watch

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY5YKO6OXuo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY5YKO6OXuo[/ame]

Unquestionably in my top 10 without a moment of hesitation

4. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

James Braddock. (Yeah, real old school.) and Muhammed Ali.

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

George Foreman (2nd time around), Bob Foster LHW champ back in the 60's, Larry Holmes and someone who had the bad luck to be boxing in the late 6o's Irish Jerry Quarry. Probably would have been heavyweight champ except he was during the golden age of HWs.
    Almost forgot Ken Norton. He was so awkward as a boxer and so awesome at the same time.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Your a professional fighter who keeps quiet on fighting forums, for the luv of juicin jui jitsuites, man. What could be cooler?

7. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't know about poetry to watch. I thought people would have mentioned Pacquiao, who I don't think has been mentioned yet, Duran is normally up there as one of fight fans favourites, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, maybe Benitez, Gatti is another that was hugely popular, blood and guts warrior and all that, I don't think Tyson has been mentioned yet, so I have found that interesting. Only one Ali mention too. Although I thought he was best as Clay. So light on his feet back then. And no Sugar Ray Robinson!

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Joe Frazier. Really loved Matt Skelton for some reason, i believe he came from K1. watched him dismantle Danny Williams when i was in greece. Not a great by any stretch but i loved his attitude and in your face style. He was as expected the underdog and maybe thats why i like him, anyway he lost to Ruslan Chagaev and i never heard of him again.

Baza

9. puma

puma Valued Member

Skelton was old before he even had his 1st pro fight wasn't he? He fought Josuha the other day. Yeah, you're right. He may not have been the prettiest or most fluid, but you got to respect a man with such grit and determination. I met Danny Williams, and what a pleasant man he was. How he got through those first few rounds with Tyson to come back and win, regardless of Tyson's knee, I will never know.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

We used to dub Skelton "The Human Mudslide" :)

11. puma

puma Valued Member

I like that.

12. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Yeah was just reading his Wiki there and it says his first pro fight was at age 35. Another interesting fact about the man, he was fighting some guy who was exhausted by round 9. His corner wouldn't throw in the towel and matt refused to attack the man in a european title fight. He let the title go rather than destroy the guy. Speaks volumes about him.

Baza

13. Grond

Grond Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EadIdQ6F4"]James Braddock Fights Max Baer - YouTube[/ame]

14. Combat Sports

And I feel stupid for forgetting Tommy Morrison. Since I tend to complain that people forget about him.

15. Combat Sports

16. babagua

babagua New Member

I'm from Philippines so Manny Pacquiao all the way! also Roberto Duran :)

17. puma

puma Valued Member

Someone said Duran! I picked up an Asian newspaper a couple of months ago, I'm in England, and I was amazed that Pacquiao was on the front pages, the back, and there was a few articles through the paper on him. Incredible! So popular.

18. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

My favourite boxer is young Mike Tyson. Both technically and fighting wise the greatest IMO. He had it all at one point.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8aerkHG_7A"]Nicolino Locche - El Intocable (The Untouchable) - YouTube[/ame]

The more i read about this guy, the more impressed i got.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  20. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

one of my personal fave boxers:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLXcgZ84ndk"]Prince Naseem Hamed Highlights (by GP) - YouTube[/ame]

entertaining at the time. Enjoyed it as a kid. :D Still like to watch this vid form time to time.