Fate

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by mani, Aug 31, 2003.

?

Do you beleive in FATE?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    74.5%
  1. mani

mani Valued Member

Do you beleive in fate? And think that your life is pre-determined

or,

Do you like to think that your actions will decide your fate?

2. waya

waya Valued Member

Some possibly pre-dertimined. But our actions can alter even those.

3. Adam

Adam New Member

MY life is in part controlled by some predestined purpose is all I can say. I cannot say if what that purpose is or if it also applies to other people, but I believe that everything happens for a reason, if only as a test to your resolve and faith.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I voted no.

Although our lives are much more predetermined than we realise, but no fate is set.

5. darlph

darlph New Member

Fate. Every choice you make can change your fate. Theres a reason for everything, even if we don't realize it at the time. But fate...........I believe in choice.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Nah! I don't believe in that stuff, you are responsible for your own actions don't blame fate for YOUR mistakes :D

|Cain|

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Its not my fault I slept through training, it was fate! :p

8. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Nope we determine our own Fate.
    But whats that called when like you do something bad and something bad happens to you or vica-versa. Think its called karma. That I believe in.

9. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I don't know.

I would say that there is a very strong case for determinism, there is a case for quantum indeterminism, but I can't see how the two can get mashed together to give me choice in any "real" sense.

I'd obviously like to believe I have choice, just not sure there is any evidence to support that belief and lots of evidence telling me I don't.

I would say that we have the illusion of choice, even if we don't actually have it. But who knows?

Look at a computer, it makes all kinds of choices all the time. But given the circumstances, its programming, and everything else there was really only one choice.

Granted we are a little more complicated and a little squishier, but perhaps we are the same. It might appear we are making a choice, but really there was no choice to be made given our programming and data that we had.

10. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Fate? Yeah, I guess I do.

I don't believe that our lives are already laid before us.

But I do believe that major opportunities and decisions are there for us to reach. Waiting for us. Then we still have to decide on which way to go.

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

fate- isn't that that stuff we make up as we go along? :)

12. TheBorderer

TheBorderer New Member

I have a similar line of thought to waya, in which it would've been nice for this poll to have had a "maybe or something like that(but then I can be quite awkward like that at times I know! :) ) as I can't feel I can categorically say "yes" or "no" (so sorry mani I didn't vote, hope that's ok :))

Yeah I think that there is fate in some part of our lives that we cann't change, but I think we can shape our own destiny's.

So if you beleive in fate you must then (by supposition) acept it? I don't know if I could, I mean what if someone was able to tell you exactly what was going to happen for the rest of your life and that you could not change it in any way? Wouldn't that not make life pointless? :confused: I agree with AG as well, because I think that we'd like to hope we have a choice and can effect our own destiny, but can't be sure if we can. I think (like waya) that we can and that fate does have a part to play, but not such that we can't change things if we put our mind to doing so.

Interesting topic mani. :)

13. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

I firmly beleave that our lives are the sum total of the choices that make along the way. Where it gets sticky for me is if I am always in complete control of the choices that I have to make.:D

14. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

yes, but was it in your fate that you were going to make those choices? :D

15. johndoch

johndoch upurs

or was was it your fate to have these choices available to you!

16. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

I know, you could attribute every twist and turn in life to fate.

Where I am coming from though, and I'm not sure how to word this though, but; 90% of all the people that I have met who have made a mess of their lives due to poor or self-indulgent choices beleave in fate. And 90% of all the people that I have met who set goals and put those goals at the top of their priority list don't beleave in fate. Why is that?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  17. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Cal, that is a irrelevant point ;)

No one will say that it doesn't appear that we have choice, and our choices effect our lifes.

The question is could we have choosen otherwise.

You would need to show a causal connection, which I don't think you can do. Simply appearing in the same place often is not a causal connection.

Perhaps people "fated" to believe in fate, are generally people "fated" to make poor decisions. But that doesn't mean they could have decided to make any of those choices differently.

If you know enough about a coin and its environment you can predict with 100% accuracy whether it will be heads or tails.

Perhaps if we knew enough about a person and their environment we could predict with 100% accuracy what they will choose in a given situation.

I do remember hearing of a study that was able to demonstrate this to some extent, it was done on people with some sort of dissorder that slowed their response speed, but that was a while back and I can't remember it fully.

But if I could measure the exact state of your brain, all its pathways, where all the bits are, everything. Does it not seem plausible that I could predict with 100% accuracy how it will react to certain input?

That your brain is wired in such a way that given the exact same starting state, and the exact same input it would react the exact same way?

18. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Life would be pretty boring if everything was pre-ordained. What would be the point of striving to acieve anything?

19. Tireces

Tireces New Member

No fate but what we make.

20. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Wouldn't no it if it was ;)

The point of striving to achieve things?

Thats the way your built :D You couldn't have NOT strived to achieve them.