faster punching

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Yojimbo, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

does any one have any training tips or workouts on how to make punches faster. ive tried training with weighted gloves, and i use a speed bag almost 5 days a week, i want to become faster but i dont want to lose the force behind my punch can anyone help me.....:confused:

2. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

when you throw 4 punches dont think about each one start thinking about pulling back the fourth and let go

3. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Think faster, visualize your punch...now cut the time in half.

Try working on relaxation.
    Alot of speed is lost in the antagonistic muscles 9shoulders, biceps, clenching the fitst to soon.

If your doing alot of heavy bag lay off it for awhile.
    The bag is great but too much can make you sluggish.

Jeff

4. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Practice your punches in a swimming pool. The water will provide a steady resistance, yet it's easy on your joints.

Or I would practice throwing one punch at a time on the heavy bag, then add another......

I guess constant practice of the punches will increase your speed on the bags and shadowboxing. Sometimes changing the way you punch will help.

For example, punching with a vertical fist instead of the standard way or vice versa.:)

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

its a little cold for traing in a pool this time of year but ill keep that in mind over the summer.

6. Jeff Burger

Super Compensation Principle.

Use the weights or the water resistance, then immediately afterwards throw your techniques.

The muscles will still be over compensated for the resistance.

Be careful you dont hyper extend your limbs with the sudden release of resistance.

You can also use elsatic bands / tire tubes.
    Also do the retracting hand / hikite. You can do them both at the same time.

Jeff

7. totality

totality New Member

ehh...i like the water idea, but using weights is really counterproductive. i read somewhere that all of your force is being applied in the wrong direction, since with a weight you're spending more energy slowing and stopping the weight (so you don't break your arm) and not exploding into the target. don't know if this is true, but i haven't found weights to be very effective anyway...the best way to increase speed is to punch stuff :D

8. Jeff Burger

Weights dont make you slower if you use them correctly.

Jeff

9. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I don't believe weights will do anything at all.

You may feel faster when you take them off, but otherwise...... I don't think so.

10. AndyD

AndyD Valued Member

Reduce the amount of muscle contraction - contraction places a breaking effect on movement (slowing you down) as well as providing a conduit for rebound (reducing power and increasing the time taken 'to go again'). Muscle contraction is part of what Bruce was getting at with his idea of 'daily decrease'.

The gains made by training to reduce contraction are incredable - now if I'd only discoverd that earlier :(

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

thank you all you advice has helped me already, thismorning i was training ,but i visualized my punches going faster one after another i dont know how fast they were going but i busted my first knuckle on my right hand and my hands and arms wont stop shaking has this ever happend to anyone??

12. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

just relax let the energy flow dont build it up or stop it

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

was that ki? or was it just muscle spasams ive been doing martial arts for 4 years and that has never happened before.

14. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

you decide yojimbo your the only one who knows..it could be either

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'd say highly likely it was muscle spasms. A lot of things can cause shakes/tremors. Sometimes I've had them when I'm concentrating very hard, I'm not sure why. Maybe its that.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

yeah mabye, im just still amazed by how fast my punches were going just by telling myself that the could go faster. im going to try to apply that to all my techniques

17. Jeff Burger

Visualize it.

In your imagination you can be infinately fast.

There was a study done with visualization and foul shots (basketball).
    One group did foul shots, another group none, a third group just vizualized.

The vizualization group did almost as good as the actual practice group.

Do a set combonation and try to shorten the time it takes to do it.

Jeff

18. zun

zun New Member

Moderate to light shaking is okay (this is said to be your ki/chi overcoming blocks in your meridians).

However if the muscle (or muscle group) is shaking vigourously, it's likely the muscle is fatigued. Would be wise not to exhaust it further; at best you overtrain, worse case you may injure yourself.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

ill keep that in mind Zun not to exaust myself any futher. and.... infinately fast....i wonder im going to experiment whith these ideas everyone is putting in my head. ill will inform you of my progress...its time to free the mind...

20. khafra

khafra New Member

Punching holding weights can make you hyperextend, trying to slow them down.
    But if you use an elastic band, surgical tubing, springs, or a bowflex machine for resistance, you won't have the issues with inertia. Good way to increase your power without losing speed.