Fast Twitch Muscle Fibre After 50

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by belltoller, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

yeah... its hard to tell because those who are good at sport as kids (with a high baseline of good performance when untrained) tend to be selected for sports and the rest drop out.

there is the whole thing in "long term athlete development" that you can read into that was studies of the best periods of development for youth athletes to take advantage of physical and mental growth patterns in training.

but having a high level of baseline performance is a bad indicator. i strongly suggest david epstein's "sports gene". he talks about how a high baseline doesnt mean a high level of trainability (you may peak early at a lower level).
    e.g. people on the same program under the same conditions have very different results because some may be high responders to training while others may be low responders.

EDIT: epstein also added a bit about training kids at the end

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

address it before you regret it, the readings are very low.

Talk to the Dr, you aren't going to feel good if it keeps dipping.

TrT or some form of DHEA therapy is a godsend for (has beans) middle aged sports people.

Diet wise, look to get some grape seed, or resvertarol and stinging nettle down your neck, but thats going to be a drop in the ocean. Look at making some serious dietary changes, eat more protein and cholesterol and look at how many carbs you REALLY need. Swap beer for wine and try to be 'satisfied' as often as possible.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I don't feel too good already. Seriously.

Yet-to-be's, young geordie, yet-to-be.

Got'cha!

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

If you don't feel good tell the Dr and ask about your options with regards to replacing lower levels. If you don't wake up most days 'at attention' then things are a miss. Zinc was the one I forgot earlier too.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Zinc...okay. Right, I'm in consultation with the doctor on that. She wants to check the pituitary functioning before we go doing the Vitor Belfort thing - apparently a misfiring or stuck switch on that can be the root cause.

Morning Reveille is more a function of having a decent vascular system; thankfully, mine is free of clogs. Maybe t plays into it as well. I do know my numbers are seriously low - less than half of the lowest parametre in the statistical range.

The thing I've noticed more than anything is how gassed I get - particularly with anykind of interval/high intensity things. Its bad enough that they thought it my heart for a while. I barely get through the hour of boxing conditioning class.

Then there is the nearly constant feeling of fatigue and malaise I've now, but I try not to think about that.

Any more tips/advise you have with this would be greatly appreciated :)