Fast Blast JKD

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Corrmaz, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Does anyone have any experience with this dojo in Mesa, AZ. The only website that I found reviews on said it wasn't a good dojo. Does anyone know. Thank you.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I read their "what is JKD?" Page...they are full of crap

As soon as I saw it was a JO school I was instantly wary
    - they did little to ease my concern. In would avoid it personally, but if you go and train and find it suits you then more power to you

However when they say "there is no Kali in JKD" when Bruce himself displayed largo mano in ETD shows how ridiculous their position is...hell there is footage of JP doing Kali out there

3. Corrmaz

Corrmaz Valued Member

Thank you for this I will be sure to avoid them. I was hoping though that it wouldn't be crap there are no JKD dojos in my area other than that one.

4. Hannibal

Like I said they may actually be a good kwoon, but philosophically and politically they are pretty much the antithesis of what I would go near

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I wonder what they teach in their "Weapons" class then. Nunchaku? Most of the weapons work associated with JKD, hell ALL of it, stems from FMA. Edit: Or perhaps silat. But I can't imagine these guys look more favourably on that than they do on kali.

6. Hannibal

Don't get me started....

7. Bluto

Bluto New Member

If I were you I would get do what ever you can to get there as soon as possible. This place is 100% legit! The site is 100% legit! This guy is 2nd generation JKD under Jerry Poteet. If you dont understand that you have no clue what JKD is. If you avoid it you are making the biggest mistake possible. The site is absolutely accurate and true. Jerry Poteet taught exactly as he was taught by Bruce Lee and Chris Garner is one of the few in the US that does the same. Stop wasting your time with those 5 times removed from Bruce Lee guys that just keep saying "take what is useful and discard the rest" BS (Totally misquoted and misused!!!) Kali was NEVER EVER TAUGHT by Bruce Lee. Go ahead and learn it thats OK but to say it was ever part of Bruce Lees curriculum is complete and total lie. The only way to get closer to being taught by Bruce Lee himself is to find an original student and learn directly from him or travel back in time. Thats it. I absolutley guarentee if you visit that school, if just to ask all your questions and to get a sense of what he is teaching and actually feel the power of his most basic hit (holding focus mitts) you will not want to leave! I have personally never met Chris at this school but have met a few other instructors under Jerry Poteet and can say it is the closest you can get to learning from Bruce Lee himself. The power, the understanding, the dedication to authentic JKD as taught by Bruce Lee is amazing. The only reason you would not is because deep down you know what you think you know about JKD is all WRONG! I would encourage Hanniabal to look for an instructor in his area from Jerry Poteet, visit and ask questions and get a feel for what can be done. Until then you are just playing games and dont really know what JKD really is. The only people I have seen that would still have the same feeling after that would be the ones with the biggest ego and still think the world is flat and think Bruce Lee wrote every book that has his picture on it (only wrote 2 books way before JKD) and think anyone under the "concepts" line actually knows real JKD. Really sad. Dont get me wrong. I was in a concepts school for almost 3 years. It was fun but it was not JKD. It was mixed martial arts thats it. The guy teaching was high up and well known in the Vunak "line" and is good but only at MMA they have no clue what Bai Jong is and the only thing linking it to JKD is right lead. Straight blast was nothing like what Bruce did, kicks are Nothing like what Bruce did (really just basic Karate kicks) Under Jerry Poteet lineage is worlds apart in every single way!! You can go out, buy a Hyundai Genesis and pretend you have a Mercedes because it almost resembles it or an S 65AMG and have the real thing with unreal power and speed. I guess that was odd but if you know cars they are worlds apart but one tries to resemble the other and are no comparison. Basically, you should just visit, you wont want to leave.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bruce obviously didn't use paragraphs either.

:bang:

9. Hannibal

Lots of talk, no substance and the usual nonsense hype.

Alright you can have your moment to shine:

If this is true

Then where do the kicks come from?

Once you have explained then explain
    the grappling? And how do you explain the use I Kali by Bruce in films if he never had exposure?

JP was not even close to being the best when Bruce was alive...I fail to see how he can be viewed as the source if all truth after. He is/was one branch on the tree - nothing more, nothing less

10. Hannibal

Oh and for refer I have good relations with the WNG, Gary Dills branch, Ruchard Bustillos branch and many others. We are all happy to share and interact with each other and even though we disagree on the nuances we are all happy to share help and encourage the spreading of JKD in all it's manifestations

The reason is rally hard against the definitive claptrap states on that site is because it is patently untrue and even a casual glance at Bruce's writing reveals that.

11. Bluto

Bluto New Member

Yes no paragraphs is true. This is not a literary forum and paragraphs do nothing for my point. I feel paragraphs are over rated. If you can follow long text as long text you are exercising your eyes. And I wont change that now for sure!
    You are taking it all wrong. Hannibal You originally said "they are full of crap" which is a dig on Jerry Poteet and his students and totally uncalled for. Look I didnt say anythig bad but you just fire off more anger towards what I said. If you know JKD you know, understand and respect Jerry and Fran Poteet. You are nowhere near even being 4th generation removed from Bruce Lee. Yet you speak as if you learned from him directly. Have you ever sat with a 1st or second generation student? Have you ever held mitts for a 1st or 2nd generation student? You may say yes but I doubt it.
    This will sound like a dig on you but... learning from what Bruce did in a movie? Really? That is a movie, you know that right? there are things he did in his movies that are only for the visual effect. Some really what he taught. But really basing your learning from a movie is not something I think you should tout.
    The first thing you did was denigrate this JKD school without knowing anything about it. I said nothing bad about concepts and as i said I did enjoy it but it is not really JKD as taught by Bruce Lee. Again just repeating that "take what is useful" mantra means nothing. I did learn the Vunak stuff. I didnt put it down I said it was fun but it does not compare to what I am learning now from the Poteet lineage. I enjoy all MA but when it comes to JKD there is too much that really is not based on what Bruce Lee taught until his death. Under Jerrys instructor I feel I learn much more and as Bruce Lee taught. Some classes end up being 45 minutes of the philosophy of what we are learning at that time and I get a deeper understanding of what is happening instead of "just hit".
    JKD brings out a lot of hostility. There is a place for both authentic and concepts. That is why the "ones in power" let Inosanto go out and do the concepts line. Look at Ted Wong, you think I am putting concepts down? He went on video and said how Inosanto hurt him personally as well as JKD with JKD concepts. Its on his site. No misquotes he says it on video. Have you ever sat with a 2nd generation teacher? Asked him questions? held mitts for him? have him hold for you? I am guessing the answer is no. You may come away with the same basic feeling but I guarantee you wont say its crap. I have never felt ANY instructor hit as hard, kick as hard as I have from a 2nd generation student under Jerry Poteet. I/we can go back and forth on this stuff and unfortunately I would. Why dont you just go to the Bruce Lee Foundation site read all the FAQ. Its all there. Unless you are like some others that feel they know more about JKD and Bruce Lee than people like Linda Lee, Taky Kimora, Ted Wong, Jery Poteet, Bruce Wong etc. Read up, Dan Inoasnto was not welcome in the board of directors because of the direction he took concepts. Concepts came from the agreement between the original students that insisted he not call it just JKD. There is a paper on it from the board members. I cant find it now but you can find it on the net.
    As I said there are a bunch of good schools from Jerry in Canada you should visit or just keep a closed mind and think you are the best. Saying who was the best when Bruce was alive first makes you sound like a 12 year old arguing. Were you there? did you actually sit in on his classes? Who was the "best"? And again such a thing sounds like a child's argument.
    You seem to base a lot on his movies and writings. What writings are you taking about? There a so many people that think Bruce wrote a bunch of books and site them. Only to find they are interpretations of his writings. Tao was put together after his death. Had he lived to publish it, it may have been different. Because you saw it in a movie or read a book about it does not make you an authority. Watch all the movies, read all the books on being a fighter pilot does that make you one?

12. Dean Winchester

Actually they do and are generally considered good manners on boards such as this, perhaps you should look before you leap in future?

Not bothering to post in a legible manner simply shows laziness on your part and a lack of consideration.

13. Hannibal

Canadian Director of JKDAA, Senior Instructor rank and 3rd gen student....yeah I think I qualify son

I said they are full of crap and I meant it - but what they teach, which is JFGF basically, but what they claim. You want to talk about who started it? That page did with its outright falsehoods about JKD and "find another instructor" crap

14. Hannibal

And make no mistake, Dan was left out because of money. Who taught Brandon by the way? And who was declared to be the authority on JKD by Linda?

Dan

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Both barrels .....boom ....

16. Hannibal

Headshot...the only way to finish off a mindless shambler

Or a zombie if course

17. Bluto

Bluto New Member

I see
    Bla Bla Bla. All Ego no substance. you sound like a grade school boy arguing. Another one that knows more than the ones that were actually there. 3rd generation? from who? Vunak? I see what this is. pretend JKD.

18. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

oh dear.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Damn...for an art and artist that supposedly wanted to free people from a classical mess JKD sure is in a classical mess.

20. Dean Winchester

You're making yourself sound like a right eejit, might want to tone back on the fanboyism.

As an outsider looking it seems to me like you haven't done yourself or your school any favours with your conduct.

Maybe I missed it in your wall of text but did you say where the system's kicks come from?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013