FAS (violence probs) and Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by LeaFirebender, Dec 4, 2011.

1. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Ok so I have a friend who's a few years younger than me. He's adopted, and his biological mother was on alcohol (and perhaps some stronger stuff) before he was born. Among other problems, he's always been extremely violent. And his filter is non-existant, he says whatever is on his mind, which is often violent, provocative, or threatening.

Anyway, I kinda thought martial arts would be good for him. It would give him a chance to practice punches and kicks and take downs. Since he throws threats left and right, sparring might teach him the consequences of what he says. Also, it'd be a good chance for him to get out his extra energy/violence in a safe(r) environment.

He actually went to the studio I go to for a few months, but stopped coming. I wasn't sure why he left, but I think his mom is considering letting him come back :)

Any thoughts?

2. aiem

aiem Valued Member

Maybe you should talk to him and show him the benefits of training in martial arts, other than the physical ones. From your account, I think he's having emotional problems well (might come from his family background). Engaging in training in martial arts can benefit a person in more ways than they usually imagine or expect. That's for positive reinforcement.
    Also, find out if he had any negative experience during his first classes. Some beginners are very sensitive and conscious of their level compared to the more "awesome" others. It takes support and perseverance and belief in one's self to get through this rocky stage.
    I'm impressed that you want to help your friend in this way, I hope he learns how to be a better person and friend with your help.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Good idea. I'd add that it would probably be a good idea to pair him with either senior people or people much bigger, since he doesn't have much control of himself. I certainly wouldn't want to spar with a near-adult sized male who has this condition.

4. LeaFirebender

Yeah, I thin he'd be in to trying again. Its just his mom who might be hesitant to let him train again (he's 12 :eek:). From what I heard when he used come he'd threaten some of the other kids, and I guess they taunted him back (like kids do) and he started cussing at him. So he left. I think if he started sparring, maybe he'd become a little wiser and threaten less ;) and that would solve a huge, on going problem of his :D

Yeah, like I said he's 12, and like many FAS kids he's small for his age, so I think finding people bigger/stronger than him wouldn't be hard ;)

5. aiem

aiem Valued Member

Good idea! I agree that he should practice with senior practitioners, it will teach him self control and patience. I learned so much when I practiced with a 60+ y/o brown belter. She had difficulty in breaking her fall so I really had to slow down and 'guide' her down. She took her time getting up and that forced to slow down the adrenaline rush I have during most of the practice. No mistake though, she has a powerful grip and stamina that equals and sometimes exceeds mine. If your friend decides to continue training, can you post updates from time to time? I'm quite interested. :cool:

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Put him in any sport.
    Sport in any way calms people down.
    He could try his hand at wrestling. it'd help him control the aggression.

7. LeaFirebender

Yeah he plays soccer :) he seems to really like it too