Farmer's walks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Freeform, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

We seem to have ventured into discussing this topic and I think it deserves it's own thread.

Currently the gym I'm training at, whilst manly, is limited in space so is a bit useless for this.

So I've been walking backwards and forwards in my garden with a combination of 20, 24 and 28 kg kettlebells (the handle on the 28 is a bit TOO thick for me just now). For the waiter walks I'm currently playing with a 16 kg KB, but that is because I'm a little sissy man :)

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Good fun in these in a semi-empty gym with lots of benches and stuff to step up onto and over and down. Or do it in a playground where there are things you have to go under. Step up and over face on, sideways... you name it can be done without setting those bad boys down. The traps and cores start to scream... if the grip strength doesn't give up first!

3. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I find that what you are holding makes a huge difference on the length of time you can hold it. I can do 3 figure 8 laps, about 420 ft, in my school with 65 lb dumbbells. But with 40 Sandbells I can only do one lap and barely at that.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I use 38k DBs with stupid handles that are too thick.
    I only really get grip burn with them.
    may downsize and go for a longer stroll next time.
    gym better be empty tomorow :)

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

well i went down to 28kg, walked for ages over benches under smith machines and round bikes.

Felt allot beter, still got a great grip work out butm my upperbody and legs got a good tickle.