Fantasy Fights

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, Sep 9, 2014.

1. puma

puma Valued Member

I'm going to get crushed here...............but other than against Leonard, Hearns, etc, I found some of Haglers fights boring. Tough man, no doubt, and all respect to him, but he wasn't always an entertainer. A bit of a grinder. Although him and Hearns is in my all-time top 3 fights with Benn-McClellan and Morales-Barrera 1.

I prefer Hopkins now to when he was at middle. Now he has the age thing, which is simply incredible, but I used to hate him. His middleweight run of however many defences it was, doesn't impress that much when you actually see who he fought. The biggest test was probably a blown up De La Hoya, who was lucky to get given the verdict in his previous fight. And, I'm totally biased being a Jones fan, so there isn't any reasoning with me when it comes to Hopkins.

Talking of Jones, I would like, if he was not a lot bigger obviously, to see what he would do against Mayweather. Could Floyd's intelligence negate the ridiculous talent of a prime Jones if they were the same size? Would anyone get hit? Would the PPV have to be in slow motion? Would their chosen rappers have an in-ring rap battle before hand?

2. puma

puma Valued Member

Morales-Hamed should have happened.

3. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Floyd vs Jones is definitely a fight I couldn't predict... I don't think anyone could. Both guys when younger were so fast it was insane. Floyd's fight against Gatti (while Gatti was very limited) was boxing at it's more pure, while Jones' fight with Ruiz (also very limited) was a great display... neither guy would ever have encountered another fighter like the other, that's for sure.

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Foreman hung out quite a bit with Liston.George,by his own admission,was kind of a scared guy during his first career.Liston was a hard man. These guys knew each other.I think George would be the intimidated one.

Especially by Liston's jab.:D

5. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, actually now you mention it, I remember reading years ago they knew each other. Wasn't Foreman a sparring partner for a bit?

I saw an interview with Big George where he said he was scared to death going into his 1st fight with Frazier. Blimey, either it didn't show or he was talking you-know-what trying to be pleasant! I'm not buying that one!

How come, when he was young, Foreman got KO'd by Ali, dropped multiple times by Lyle, etc, yet after his break coming back as an old fighter he had a chin of concrete? How does that work? And against bigger fighters, like Shannon Briggs, a huge man. I can't remember Foreman ever being knocked down when he was older. I might be wrong, but I can't remember it. And, unlike his prime, he was fat!

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

It was Sonny Liston's camp that gave Foreman his first break. Foreman was teenager when they brought him in to spar with Liston, after which he asked Liston's manager to help him break into boxing and was introduced to the exhibition circuit. This was before the Olympics.

George had a lot of respect for Sonny. Foreman's descriptions of not only Liston's power but his discipline ( Liston was an excellent boxing student ) his accuracy, and coordination had me to have a second look at who I thought Sonny Liston was. Sonny's manager had George to pay attention to Sonny's jab - which Foreman came to respect greatly.

Who would've bested who? According to GF, Liston's trainer told Sonny to make sure he went easy of Foreman during their sparring sessions as the camp saw potential in Foreman and didn't want him hurt.

Of course, Foreman was but a teenager at the time and Liston had already passed his prime and was two - three years away from his death but we are removing fighter's from the bounds of time and pitting them against each other in fanciful 'catch-years' that could never had taken place, at least in this case.

To be a true 'double-blind with placebo' match, Foreman would not have been able to have met Liston and learned under his tutelage as it would have had to much possible influence ( reverence, respect ) to really call it a true match.

If Foreman had never met Liston, would he have been the same fighter?

I think this one too much of a Pandora's box to do anything other than wild speculation.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  7. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Barrera put on a beautiful boxing masterclass against Hamed... styles make fights yes, but based Barrera's fights with Morales I could only pick Erik to have won a wide UD or possibly even a stoppage.

8. puma

puma Valued Member

He did, but at that time Hamed wasn't training properly due to being a prat, and believed he only had to land one punch to KO someone, which most of the time he did. If they met when they originally should of, when Barrera wouldn't fight him, I have no doubt Hamed would have won. Just my opinion of course. Ego and arrogance beat Hamed in the end. But him and Morales at their peaks, wow! I think there'd be a few knock-downs in that one!

9. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Nikki Piper v Carl Froch. I reckon Piper could take him. Not many mensa members are boxers.

Baza

10. embra

embra Valued Member

Ken Buchanan vs Sugar Ray Leonard.

11. puma

puma Valued Member

Ken Buchanan? That's a name I didn't expect to see in here. I would have expected Leonard's name to be mentioned with Robinson or someone. That surprised me. I have to say I think Leonard beats Buchanan fairly easily.