Fake Tai Chi......

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Su lin, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Exactly! ;)

She is teaching pilates now as part of the programme.Wonder if she is trained for that? I feel another crusade coming on.:D

2. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Victimisation that is :p

3. Thelistmaker

Thelistmaker bats!

I know a pilates instructor who is also a female body builder, so if only pilates was a martial art I'd arange a challenge match, complet with lip-out-of-synch and bandanas.

woot!

4. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

It wasn't Tai chi, it was "body motion" or whatever she trained in but didn't want to pay the license fee for... if you ask me that's the only real problem here.

How are you sure it wasn't helping anyone? People might get injured LOL. Have any of the students who were in that now-cancelled class thanked you for saving them? Or is it possible they might be disappointed that the class they liked was cancelled?? Well, maybe some of them will go find a real tai chi class... in the long run then this fake helped Tai Chi LOL, Tai Chi owes you its thanks :D

IMHO your good intentions might have been better served by simply asking them to re-name the class.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I did ask them to rename the class but they didn't.

What's the big point in arguing about it now anyway.They claimed to be teaching tai chi when it wasn't , they don't now.Job done. :rolleyes:

Did you actually read the op and the ensuing debate?

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Evidently not.

I've decided to teach a shuffleboard class at my mom's church.You're all invited.

I'm calling the class " Shaolin Kempo ".

After all, what's in a name?

7. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Actually after doing this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCc_17kNMk"]YouTube[/ame]

I am now a master in Kung fu, MT, Karate, TKD, JKD, MMA and soooooo many other striking arts it is not even funny! I am a MA master!!!!
    You all should do it too!
    Now if they would just make a ground fighting video :D

After all what's in a name?

Also why does this man use hand wraps??? :confused:

8. jnanasakti

jnanasakti Valued Member

your posts are quite humorous. have you thought of supplementing your tai chi with stand up comedy?

9. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

jkzorya has 'left the building'...she couldn't turn us around to her way of thinking so cleared off. :p

10. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Encore

Actually, I came to MAP to give some people who'd been slagging me off a hard time. When it became apparent that they wouldn't settle for less than all out war, I stuck around long enough and gave them enough rope until they ended up getting themselves banned. I think a couple of them were pals of yours, Carys. :p

After that, I stuck it out a bit longer to try to do a bit of missionary work, but there are only so many times you can say the same thing. People LIKE the dark side, so what can you do?

Tai Chi and stand up comedy, eh jnanasakti? You must have been to my classes - that just about sums it up perfectly.

"Take up the bodies: such a sight as this. Becomes the field, but here shows much amiss. Go, bid the soldiers shoot."

A dead march. Exeunt, bearing off the dead bodies; after which a peal of ordnance is shot off.

11. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Welcome back JK :D

12. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I find this thread amusing.

From where I'm standing the TCC of every one on this thread is fake.

13. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Why is that?

14. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I think its the default position of every TCC player....if its different its somehow 'less then' or fake.

I think that we all secretly feel this way, and its understandable as different branches of TCC are so different to each other that they show no resemblance.

15. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Maybe you feel this way,lk.There are a lot of variations on the theme.And there are plenty of folks who know a little, a bit, a lot, or jack.That's all I see.

I don't discern that much difference in higher level practitioners, just sub-system and/or personal approaches and predelictions.

Wm. Chen, once queried by his students on a method utilized by another practitioner, replied that it was a perfectly legit way of doing things, he just didn't do that himself.

Just no remarks about my secret shuffleboard teaching.Eveyone knows I have the only Genuine Article.

But anyway,nice to hear from you,lk.

Hi, Joanna!

16. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Yes I did, I'm not arguing, just sharing my perspective... I just happen disagree with your position and approach to solving the "problem". My interpretation is that you defended the "honor" of a martial art that you don't even train in, at the possible detriment to people who will never care if it was "real" tai chi or whatever, and got a bunch of internet warm-fuzzies that made you feel proud for doing so. Hopefully the program wasn't doing anyone any good, so it won't be missed by anyone and nobody will be worse off for losing it. And it goes without saying that you have enhanced the reputation of Martial Artists everywhere by destroying this fake tai chi class, and I thank you for that :p

That's just some guy's perspective from thousands of miles away so you should, of course, ignore it :)

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I've seen worse taught under that banner...

18. Taoquan

Taoquan Valued Member

Just curious,
    If I only did body mechanics but decided to teach a class about Karate and label it as such what would you do? Bottom line, it is still wrong (imo) to misrepresent any art (false advertisment) and unethical (leading people to believe they are practicing something they are not) by labeling it something that YOU have no knowledge on.

imo, it does not matter if Su practices the art or not, she at least had the courage and respect to show what it was not. Yes, maybe in certain areas she could of asked them to change the name etc. But hindsight is always 20/20 and we don't even know the whole situation. Imo, it is far better to have the class canceled than taking an immoral and unethical approach and misleading students/coworkers etc into believing they are doing something else.

19. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

I back Su's actions 100%.

I suffer from bad knees due to a previous teacher who was employed to teach TaiJi through the Adult Education system. He knew about TaiJi but brought too much of his previous Karate to his classes (imo)...all horse stance etc....

I learnt a lot of good things, but will never have my knees back as they were.

This illustrates that it is phenomanally (sp?) hard to keep track of what trained MA instructors are teaching.

For someone (as in this case) to have no experience of TaiJi but to call it such to gain employment is potentially very harmful to peoples health and wellbeing.

20. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I agree, good work Su!

I think that more harm than good could come from such a thing, and that would give genuine Taiji a bad name, and potentially dissuade people who could benefit from training.