"Fake sword" sticky?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cudgel, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

maybe this should be modified and made into a sticky.
    Something like "Are you sure your sword is real?"

2. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Good suggestion Cudgel. Something needs to be done... And perhaps the sticky thread should be in the beginners forum, the general discussion forum and the weapons forum, just to make sure it gets to as many people as possible?

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cudgel - wow, I must post better when intoxicated! :D

I know what, I will have a think and I will see if we can combine TJD's thread with pics and the posts in this thread, and possibly make it my 3000th post tomorrow :)

Good idea :)

4. Cudgel

lol
    I just like you managed to say alot of what several otehr people have said in a fairly clear manner.
    that and im tired of constantly telling popepl why stainless steel is bad.
    Because it seems like its aregualr thing some one wants to know if a wall hanger is good or not and at least 3 people pop up and say that stainless steel is bad for anyhting other than show and why. Maybe if the info is stickied people will ask it less often.
    ANd I need to dig up the link to the explodeing sword vid that floating around the net.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Please! Aegis and I were looking for it the other day, and it would go nice on such a sticky :)

TJD - that would be cross-posting ;)

I may ask the Admins for a Weapons Resources, where we could put things like this (and the other things I am learning from Sword Forum). What do you reckon? :)

6. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Sounds good!

And in an instance like this, cant the cross-posting rule be bent? i mean, its for health and safety reasons!

7. Cudgel

that might work. But Ive noticed ona few other forums that somtimes ther are global stickies that are in all the differnt forums on the group.
    Or maybe we could have a link to all the weapon FAQs that are here in the other FAQs in other forums that might end up having similar questions. That way it isnt cross posted.

http://www.pipecrafter.com/movies/stainless_steel_warning.mpg
    here is the shattering stainless stel sword vid.
    its hding in the Nelson Amrs family Pub at SFI

EDIT: I had a thought jsut recently. Maybe the weaposn forum should be moved from near the bottom of the styles grouping to the general discussion grouping somewhere near the top of the forum.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I found that link in TJD's tang thread just before I saw it posted here!

I dont think the forum should be moved, its nice where it is, even if it is a mixture of styles.

I think the sticky across other forums are announcements, which we dont use here.

Hmmm, time for a thread split methinks :)

EDIT: Thread split.

All posts in this thread are relating to this post

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  9. Cudgel

my logic was...imnt sure what my logic was. MAybe if it were higher up more people would see it, but I really ahvent seen any posts about weapons in a place where they didnt belong.

EDIT: yer thread split freeked me out. I was massivly conufsed when i couldnt find several posts in the other thread. Then I noticed this thread.

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Is my sword "real"?

This is the first draft of the aforementioned sword sticky.

What does everyone think? Is there anything you want adding/changing/removing?

I will only make it "live" when everyone is happy with it.

11. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Smells good! I cant find fault with it. :)

12. Cudgel

There are some minor eros that I missed the first iem around.
    Chromium is good and bad in steel aloys.
    IN small amounts it will improve th grain of the steel, making it stronger. It has no affect on its corrosion resistance though.
    the amounts needed to make corrsion resistanat alloys cause the grain to larger, making its harder but also more brittle.
    But there are alloys of steel taht have hig levels of chromium, chromium-molybdenum or chrome-moly steel, is a fairly strong alloy with a good strength to weight ratio
    And there is chrome vandium steel used to manufacture toolds such at wrenches.
    I am having a major blonde oment and I cant remeber to percentages of metals in these alloys.

But yeah stainless steel is bad.
    later Ill do much better research and look for compositions of the most common alloys that use chromium and their purposes.

And there should be a link to FAQ if possible to all the posts that have links to sword retailers. Instead of linking to just one retailer.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

yes. this should be a must read. i mean, my god! what a disaster it would be if you actually tried to use wallhangers.

in view of public safety, i say this be made sticky.

14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Cudgel - I will google the percentages (I found a site with them, but cant remember it). I will change it accordingly.

Does anyone from outside of the UK want to throw up some links for decent sword places?

Shootodog - that was what this thread-split is about! It is going ahead when we have agreed on the final post! ;)

15. Dave Hail

Dave Hail Valued Member

Hi Guys,

I've been following your discussions with some considerable interest for a while now and feel that I should say something about swords, stainless or otherwise.

I completely agree about the difference between wall hangers and swords, however I feel that a little clarification regarding the standards of swords and their capabilities is needed.

I've seen the clip of the shattering sword and have two points to make. Firstly those were not gentle taps the "Gentleman" gave the sword. Secondly, anyone who bangs his sword on a table deserves everything he gets.

I've been learning and teaching Iaido & Iaijutsu for more than 20 years, and FULL TANGED stainless Iaito have their place in the Dojo. I will point out that no cutting takes place and the swords are subject to no impact of any sort. These Iaito are used for kata and forms only. Provided that these conditions are maintained then Stainless blades are useful.

Another point to consider. One of my students was practicing with Katana at home. This is a hand made, laminated Dotanuki blade of superior quality (the student earns a lot more than me as the blade alone cost £1800). During his practice he lost his grip (we all make mistakes) and the blade hit the stone floor. The only thing to be said about the resultant shards is that insurance is a wonderful thing.

The moral of this tale..... Any sword can shatter or snap. Even using a superior blade on traditional tatami cutting dummies can cause "work hardening" which in turn causes metal fatigue and brittleness. The higher the quality of the blade, the longer this process takes, but it still happens.

Do not use swords beyond their limitations. "Rat Tail" tanged swords are for wall hanging, assess everything else for their potential, get your blades checked out by your Sensei.

If you really want to hit things, use a bokken!

16. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Thanks for that Dave! :)

And this is why I dont post anything here without asking everyone else: because there is always someone with more experience and who knows what they are talking about!

I will get the next draft done later on, and post it in this thread :)

17. Cudgel

well I have at least one link to a US based sword maker. But it out of date.
    here isa better one.
    www.atrimasa.com
    Gus Trim has now branched out to making katana and sabers and sabres, Not sure hat the diffference between sabers and sabres is but there is one.

18. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

The article said chrome is brittle. I don't think that's true.

19. Cudgel

Well one of my reference books for machine shop has a list of alloys in it and what they are used for and some properties but im having a hard time understanding most of it. It makes me feel realy stupid. So much i dont know. [bang]

20. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Second draft is here! Sorry about the wait, had other things such as college :(

Rip it to bits please, it wont be made sticky until we are all happy with it :)