Eye problem after training

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Hiroji, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of migraine so quickly. Atypical presentations are common - visual symptoms without the headache, headache and visual probs without the sickness, etc. Some people also have a temporary paralysis (very rare). Some people get abdominal migraine, with guts ache and no other symptoms. Still, you're better and that's what matters.

2. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

No such thing as a minor blow to the head. Always get it checked if you've taken a shot, always wear decent headgear (I like the TopTen guards) and think about structuring your sparring for minimal headshot exposure (lots of body only sparring, plenty of dynamic mitt work etc).

The brain doesn't heal nor does it hurt like other bodyparts - you just find yourself dribbling when you're 50

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

yeh thanks for the advice. I went to the docs and got checked out ;)

Just a question though; how much importance should you really put in headgear? Its just i hear conflicting views about them.

Some people say they can actually increase the damage as they make your head heavier, you take more blows ect ect...

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

There are (very very roughly) two sources of primary brain damage in a head trauma. There's propagation of force through the brain mass - so a wave of force spreads from the point of impact through the brain like a ripple in a glass of water, and there's acceleration/deceleration injuries where the brain rattles inside the skull and bounces off the inside surface of your brain casing and makes small tears in stretches of nerve fibre. I would imagine that a head guard would diffuse some of the propogation of force by blunting the impact and direction the force around the structure of the headguard, but if you rapidly change the direction of the head (as you would if a big fist hit you in the side of it) you're still gonna get some of the "brain shake". This is just a guess, mind - I know nowt about boxing injuries specifically.

5. Hiroji

interesting! put me off sparring now!

no seriously though, with the acceleration/deceleration point, wont having a head guard make this worse as your head is heavier? alos could give more wiplash effect?.

must...work...on...defence... ;)

6. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

I think the big heavy leather headguards have a couple of issues - the extra weight does make your head move a bit more if clouted, the extra size makes a bigger target, the vision obstruction can result in you taking more shots and they don't absorb a lot of force. I think the TopTen ones (hard springy rubber (Bayflex?), quite low profile) are much better (official Olympic boxing headguards).

Having a strong neck is a big plus in absorbing the shock and keeping your head stable

7. Hiroji

cheers going to look into getting a topten ;)

another question! any safe training methods for strengthen your neck??

cheers

8. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

alot of people swear bybridging, but I never liked it. I think self resistance/isometrics works well, because you're not looking for a huge range of motion. Try wrapping a towel or belt around your head and pulling on it and resisting from lots of angles

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

welp, here's my opinion ;)

headgear does add weight to yer head, sure. But that's a good thing. You got a 14oz glove coming at your head at, let's say, 50mph. It's gonna deliver a specific amount of force to yer melon, moving it a specific amount.

If that head has slightly more mass when struck by the exact same amount of force, it's gonna react in a lightly less amount. Which translates to the fact that yer skull isn't gonna accelerate quite as quickly, which translates to the fact that yer brain isn't gonna slap the inside quite as hard, which translates to less brain injuries.

The LD foam only absorbs even more force - the key is you want to lessen the rate of acceleration of the skull around the brain. It kinda turns a strike into a push if you look at a very small slice of time. It's all critical when yer talking about lessening the amount of impact the brain will have against the inside of yer skull.

When I got concussed in April I did a LOT of research on headgear and brain injuries ;) This all applies to motorcycle helmets too. I ain't no doctor, but I dang sure believe in headgear for long term training. It won't prevent a KO but it will surely reduce it and long term cumulative effects of training.

Train hard, train long, but most of all train smart ;)

10. Hiroji

Cheers for that hux! as always very insightful ;)

11. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

dude with any head injury you should see a dr. and if it is a concussion don't go to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

did u get a ringing in your ears with the head ach a similar thing happend to me. i became dehyradted and felt dizzy and my sight went blured.

13. Hiroji

no ringing, just a mildish headache and a fuzzy light impairing my vision.

You should see a doc, when did it happen?

14. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

i went through the lesson okay but right at the end of the lesson. i stopped and stod still to bow out. then i felt reli dizzy i had a massive head ache, the light started to fade out of my eyes then everthing statred to go blurry. i went and sat down and one of the blackbelts came over ask wat was wrong. when i explained he sed that im probably dehydrated. i drank alot of water and after that i felt alot better. that day i hadnt drank anything.

15. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

Thats what people used to say to me when I walked into various lamp posts and such as a kid but more recently I heard that it was ok to sleep am not sure of the reason or source now as I think I was concussed at the time.

16. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i've had my share of concussions. most of them were mild but i had one that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. they kept me awake until all the proper tests were ran. i was told later that i was kept awake for safety because if you fall asleep you MAY never wake up. this is from my own expereiences.not sure about anybody else

17. Hiroji

yeh sounds like dehydration then!

did you take any solid blows to the head or anything?

18. madmike

madmike ow that hurt not

I wudnt say solid blows but we where doing head blocks and i caught a few on the temple but i dont think that was it. the dizzyness, loss of sight ect only reli started as we where bowing out and standing still listenning to the instructor.