Eye problem after training

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Hiroji, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

About an hour after training the other night, i started to get a wierd sensation in my eyes. It was kind of like when you look at a bright light, then look away and you still can see it, but it was obscuring half of my vision on the right side of both my eyes. It was also multi-coloured and, well its hard to explain but it looked like it was tingling, but it didnt feel like tingling, if you know what i mean? :eek:

I also had headache at the same time.

I took a few fairly heavy hits on the right side of my head, most of them i was well covered up on so they didnt hit flush and we were not doing full-contact, so was wondering if that was anything to do with it? anyone else had this? Or know what might have caused it and what it actually was??

It wasnt very nice you see, i thought i was going blind :eek:

I could have been i was just tired and dehydrated after training?.

2. kickboxingidiot

kickboxingidiot Valued Member

could it have been a migraine?
    Best thing is to see your doctor. Did you take any direct hits to the eyes as well?

3. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

see a doctor!! A similar thing happened to my friend and, the doc did no tests, well it wasn't good once he got worse and the tests were done.

4. hux

hux ya, whatever.

You should spar in headgear, first of all, if yer not.

I had very similar symptoms after taking a beating in April, it was diagnosed as a mild concussion - if there is such a thing as a *mild* concussion.

Get checked out by a doc. Wear headgear. Hands up! :)

5. Hiroji

I didnt take any hits to the eyes i dont think, or none hard enough for me to remember.

As hux pointed out though, i didnt have headgear on. But i mostly smothered the shots anyway with my guard, so dunno if headgear would have made any difference?.

When it was happening, i just turned the lights off and closed my eyes for a while, and drunk some lucazade i had left over. It seemed to go away then.

6. hux

hux ya, whatever.

The eyes are pretty much how the brain tells you it's not having a good time.

Headgear adds to the protection your guard gives you, provides additional energy absorption on top of that of your gloves. Think long term here, all those hits add up.

7. Hiroji

Yeh your right, ill slap it on next time. Cheers Huxy.

8. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

For my friend the class hadn't even started it just came out of nowhere.

go to doc's and wear your headgear, maybe suggest no hits to the face for a while

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Seriously mate, go to the doctors. If half of your visual field disappeared, that suggests that you took a knock affecting your brain rather than your eye. Could've been you took a bang to the head which shook your brain against opposite side of your skull. So you might have got a mild "whiplash" concussion and not realised. Anything like that needs your doc to check it out before you train again. Multiple mild concussions can be just as nasty as one big one so don't take risks.

10. Hiroji

yeh do you think its too late to go to the docs now? it happend last wednesday abd ive been fine since.

Ive told a few other people and they say it sounds like it was a migraine.

I wouldnt say it half disappeard, it was just when you stand up too fast and you see stars. but they were all on one side of my eyes and brightly coloured. But it was wierd, id try to read someting and half of it would be missing.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Nah, get it checked out by your doc. They'd want you to report stuff like a sudden unexpected visual disturbance cos it might mean you shouldn't train this week while you recover.

12. hux

hux ya, whatever.

ya, exactly.

Without the head trauma yer describing migraine - add in the fact that you took some shots to the head and it's potentially dangerous. I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but it could be serious. Let's face it, some big bruiser delivering a left hook(even into yer guard) on yer bean counts as trauma.

:)

13. Hiroji

yeh your starting to scare me man! :cry: ;)

I trained on thursday (day after) and on saturday but did no sparring just fitness and pad work. Next trainings on wednesday so that will be a week after. Ive felt fine ever since though.

What will the doc do though? just look into my eyes? how can he tell if ive any problems still now?

sorry to drag it on i should just bloody go!

14. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Migraine

See your doctor. XXXXXXThis is importantXXXXXX

Do NOT neglect this symptom.

Diagnosis made by taking the history of the complaint- scotoma and headache, transient. Can very occasionally be a sign of some other underlying problem, but probably not.

You may have to stop eating chocolate :eek:

15. Hiroji

Bloody hell i wont sleep now! :cry: :D

ive done some browsing and these were my symptoms exactly...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma

Heres hoping it was just a migraine!

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Migraine is pretty treatable, you can actually get visual disturbances such as flashing lights etc without the pain.Sometimes I get really odd things like lashing lights, but dont get the pain, but then get the migraine pain with no eye stuff.
    I havent given up chocolate,I just have some really good medication!

17. Hiroji

mmm thats the thing, the headache i had wasnt really that bad. Just like a normal headache really i didnt even take any painkillers.

Going to docs tomo though ;)

18. hux

hux ya, whatever.

LOL naw man, the odds are very very good that ya just took a knock on the melon, jostled yer brain a little and now everything's fine. I'm just advocating getting checked out, that's all.

Doc will check yer vitals, pupil responses, reflex responses, talk to you a bit..might order a cat as a precaution or he might order one as a baseline if yer gonna keep training - something to compare to down the road.

It's prolly not a big deal, didn't mean to scare ya. :) I was scared to death when my symptoms showed.

19. Hiroji

yo just been to docs he said im fine and to carry on training as normal.

He looked into my eyes an said they were fine no pressure build up or anything. Did my blood pressure and said it was a teeny bit high but my pulse was nice and low. BTW how can you have a good heart rate but high blood pressure?

He dismissed it as being a migraine because i only had a mild headache and didnt feel sick. He didnt really say what it was, just that im fine to train and if it happens again pop in and see him. ;)

keep on kickin yeeehaaaa. Cheers for advice everyone glad i went now. :)

20. hux

hux ya, whatever.

sweet - here's to gettin yer bell rung and living through it!

:love: