"exploding" weight lifting...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jroe52, Mar 4, 2004.

1. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

can someone go into better detail?

does it mean "faster" lifting, or more energy into it like powerfull. wouldn't that make it like fast? hehe. so should you lift 90-100% max 1-2sets, or just regular wiht all your might? im a little lost and don't want to hurt myself.

what i'm hoping to gain is lean muscle mass for speed and the benefits for wing chun. thanks!

2. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

I think you are looking at training for maximum power. You won't get much bigger doing this though. Training for power / strength / size / deffinition are all quite different.

You need to use 50 / 60% of your One-rep-max for 5 reps. During the 'effort' part of the exercise you push [or pull] the weight as fast as you can, then return the weight to it's original postition in a steady motion.

3. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

hmm that is standard weightlifting almost... to me at least...

what i'm looking into is the "exploding" or speed increasing lifting... like that creats slim muscles. hmm

4. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

Standard weightlifting?

I'm on a Maximum Strength routine at the moment - 4 reps at 95% 1RM.
    In month or two I go into a Maximum Power routine - 6 reps at 60% 1RM.
    In younger days I was aiming to get bigger and used to do 12 reps at 70% 1RM.
    When I was at my fittest / leanest I'd do 15 reps at 65% 1RM.

You need to use 50 / 60% of your One-rep-max for 5 reps / 6 reps.

5. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

and how many sets?

i was thinking sets, were reps for a second lol so things were making much sense.

6. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Your first set should allow you to do only 8 reps. Increase the weight each set. Keep on increasing the weight until you can only do 3 reps.

The explosiveness is how you lift the weight. I'll use benchpress as an example. Push the bar up as fast as you can. Pause at the top for 5 seconds, but don't lock out. Then, slowly, bring the bar back down.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Explosive lifting is best accomplished by using 50-60% of your 1 rep-max (this would be a weight you could lift no more than 10-12 times), and performing 8-12 sets of 2-3 reps, with no more than 1 minute rest between sets. This is the preferred "speed training" that Westside Barbell Club lifters use on their dynamic effort days, which trains them to move monstrously heavy weights around like they're playing with toys. It's called compensatory acceleration, and is used very frequently by athletes who needs to move fast.

8. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

we do that when weight lifting........

9. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

I'm not sure if you should always train like that.

Most athletes have a strength phase and a power phase.

The strength phase to increase the amount of weight you can move and the power phase to enable you to shift weights as quickly as possible.

10. totality

totality New Member

you don't only do speed lifting with WSB. may i recommend these two articles for more information, if you're interested. a brief summation-maximal effort days where you're doing very heavy singles or triples, and a speed day where you're using the speed method described by bewatermyfriend. 4 days a week is a bit much for me to be training, but it works great for the folks at WSB.

http://www.t-mag.com/articles/187west.html
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/133per.html

11. Colucci

Totality hit it right on the head. Training days are rotated according to certain goals throughout the week. You could also periodize, like b19vny is saying, cycling each type of routine for 2-4 weeks. But Westside has produced truly phenomenal results lifting 4 days a week, alternating max effort (strength), with dynamic effort (speed).

12. Sun Hwang

Sun Hwang Train to eat,Eat to train

In balistic weight training you should work out about 80-90% of your max, Low reps (3-5) LOTS of sets ( 8-10). This will get your muscles used to moving fast with a high weight and therefore move even faster without any weight.

13. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

How does lifting 80-90% of you max get you muscle use to moving fast??

14. totality

totality New Member

yeah, ballistic training is actually a reference to plyometrics, oly lifts and such, not a rep/set scheme, sun hwang...and what you've suggested there is strength training...

15. Tireces

Tireces New Member

Interesting stuff. It certainly goes to show that weightlifting is a very scientific thing to undertake. I think I'll throw those two periodization articles at the next person who foolishly goes and calls weightlifters stupid. It's funny how these workouts are even more mentally daunting than they are physically. So hard to keep track of all that stuff! I really wish I actually knew someone I could lift with who actually was knowledgable in this stuff. I'm still unclear as to how a lift goes when using dynamic effort, though. Does one still lower the weight slowly after doing the lift?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2004
  16. Colucci

It can't.

It goes back to a classic analogy, originally thought up by Louie Simmons (the MAN at Westside Barbell). If you stand on a baseball field at home plate, and you throw a wiffle ball, a baseball, and a bowling ball, which will go farthest? The wiffle ball is too light for you to produce maximum force. The bowling ball is too heavy to develop maximum velocity.The baseball is the middle road, a compromise between force and velocity, and it will travel the farthest.

The heavy nature of 90% max makes is physically impossible to move quickly. Not to mention, if you try to rush lifting any weight that heavy, odds are your technique will be poor, and more dangerous. You're better off sticking to your 10 or 12-rep max (which is usually 50-60% 1-rep max), when doing explosive lifting, for low reps and boat-loads of sets.

An interesting side note, technically speaking, a ballistic lift is any exercise which is done concentrically, with no lowering of the weight. This includes both Olympic lifts (as Totality said), true medicine ball training, and also hitting heavy bags.

Oh, Tireces, when you're lowering the weight, you don't want to take too long. That would increase muscle fatigue, which is not what we want. Explode up, then lower to maybe a 2 or 3 count. Neither too quick, nor too slow, just controlled.

17. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

lets say there are 5 machines or locations of equipment i'm going to work on.

could i... do 2reps of 50% at each machine, then repeat the cycle 8x? would that be a good work out for what i'm looking for?

then do i lift at normal pace, or do i try lifting it faster/harder? some suggested yes and others did not say so.

thank you so much for the information feedback

18. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

You really shouldnt use machines until your maybe 190 pounds of lean muscle mass and looking at entering into bodybuilder shows.

You could do 2reps on each exercise and then move on, but you will be forced to maintain a lower intensity because of no rest times, thus reducing your results.

You lift at the pace that suits you, if your going to lift for speed, then you explode up (its not just lifting fast..hard to explain really ;) and lower down in a controlled manner.

19. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

thanks for the incite. i'm learning hehe... hmm maybe i can do something like...

neck excersize 2 reps.. forearms 2 reps.. then switch to something like with the legs for 2 reps... then rest 2min or stretch? is it okay to stretch in rest periods?

then go do something like curl for 2reps.. then do a leg excersize for 2reps... i don't know but i was thinking of focusing on lower parts of the body while resting hte top and visa versa would help.

20. Jax

Jax New Member

Make sure you warm up properly before you start lifting the heavy weights.

It is also good to split your body up into sections and work only them sections in a session, what i normally do is:

day1 - Chest, triceps, delts
    day2 - biceps, forearms, back
    day3 - legs

throw some abs workouts into it if you like but i do enough of them at MA training.

Before you start trying to lift your maximum weight make sure your technique is correct, if you don't you will just end up with poor results and most likely injury.