Exotic martial arts questions

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Obake, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

True.I think a better word for Bartitsu is 'eclectic' rather than exotic. The sword in cane trope is pure victoriana/steampunk adventure legend a few people ever employed them outside retired british officers and by the time bartitsu was created the use had generally disappeared.

2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

How ancient are you thinking? There's plenty of political intrigue, espionage and mystical techniques in Systema's "history". It's like 90% dramatic hand waving but it'd make for fun characters. Then there's the real espionage, backstabbing and unusual techniques in SAMBO's history but it's a sporively trained martial art and not only meant for spies. Might not fit in. It's as old as WW2. I dunno about Systema. I'm sure you could find someone to tell you it's ancient.

You might also look at the Philippines, Middle East and Native American tribes for ideas if geography isn't a barrier to you.

3. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Thank you Kurtka Jerker, that's quite helpful. Systema does look like an interesting martial art. Why didn't Batman do Systema instead? lol

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Because it's crapper than KFM (unbelivably)

5. Obake

Obake Valued Member

Lol well thank you guys so much for your help. This thread has been very useful. :)

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Fun thread.

There are (somewhere) accounts of knights walking underwater in armour to cross rivers, and Fiore has in his manual a polearm filled with blinding powder (very ninja-esqe). Sieges also resulted in fights in tunnels, which is kind of cool.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Actually that reminds me. If you look on YouTube, you should be able to find some videos of people teaching swimming and aquatic sword fighting techniques for armored samurai. I'd get the link myself but my iPad isn't set up to open YouTube in a browser.