Exhaustion Frustration

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by littlebadboy, Jul 17, 2015.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

Hi everyone! I'm 45 years old and training in a BJJ gym with my kids. Yeah I'm old... and I get frustrated too...

Here's my problem...

When I roll, I easily get exhausted to a point that I don't want to do anything anymore and just wait for the submission. Is it a cardio problem? I think I'm breathing wrong too. What workouts should I do?

I'm Asian, and I see that Caucasians of about my same height seems to be more dense or heavier. Actually, most of them are taller than me. Embarrassingly, they just put their knee on my belly or sit on me and I already tap out. It seems that I can't breath as soon as they put their weight on me. What should I do or what exercises can I do to have the stamina for this?

Thanks!

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Relax, your too tense that's why your tired.

Your core muscles need to be engaged more, Google "dead bugs"

Swimming helps too, but mostly its just experience.

3. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

Was going to write just about the same thing Fusen said above. The more you roll the more you'll learn how to relax while rolling. Getting exhausted, especially if you're new to grappling, and more especially if you're rolling against stronger opponents, is perfectly normal.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

the more you roll the better you'll get at saving your energy. it's a challenge for us 40+ year olds.

like fusen said, work on your core. it will help tremendously.

5. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

BJJ is about doing the right thing at the right time and that comes from experience. That will reduce exhaustion. If you go to 13:00 of this clip you will see a younger, more athletically gifted BJJ black belt get bested by an older more experience black belt. Notice how Toy Harris isn't crazy explosive and doesn't waste any energy:

http://youtu.be/D9LL_ivHTXc

I know it's easy to say and harder to do! That said, remember the Gracie mantra: it's not who attacks the most who wins, it's who exhausts the least. Not always true but a good attitude for rolling as you get older.

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

What core exercise do you suggest? Are there ones specific for BJJ?

Thank you everyone! I understand now that it takes time and experience. It has only been my 6th session after all. Maybe I was expecting more from myself being into other different arts.

7. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

that will go away with time as your body learns the most efficient way to move it will be a matter of time before you notice yourself being able to defend the bad positions I am assuming you get the most tired in bottom positions such as your opponent in side control or mount I recommend KEEP TRAINING and to find time with some of your peers to work on the positions that frustrate you and tire you out the most

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

6th sessions in, this is exactly how you should be feeling.
    Try bridging, shrimping, and going to turtle as solo drills, and also do 'deadbugs'

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

6 sessions? Dude, you already know better from your previous training than to worry after only 6 lessons. Grappling us a whole other ball game, BJJ doubly so.

Relax and enjoy!

Mitch

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

11. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

It's a very common problem to have when starting training. Though doing cardio training would certainly help, the main problem it to learn to relax physically and mentally. Calm down, relax your entire body and breath slowly. Additionally, you will learn in what spots you need to burst and produce an effort and in what others you can take more time and chill. In short, you don't need a bigger engine. you need to learn to get better gas mileage out of the one you already have. It will take time and be prepared to hear r-e-l-a-x from your instructor for a long, loooong time.

Hope this helps.