exercises by muscle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by S&CMAN, Nov 29, 2012.

1. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

Ok, so I wasn't really sure what kind of title to give this but anyway...When you are doing bodyweight or using weights, in what order do you work the muscles? I mean, say you are doing chest and shoulders(or whatever), would you do all the exercises for the chest and then the shoulders? Or would you alternate?

What about if you are doing circuit training? Thanks

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

exercises that recruit the most muscles first e.g. squat, overhead press, bench press, snatch c&j

then other shorter range exercises

then isolations

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

If you're doing compounds then largest to smallest. So for one workout I'd do squats, deadlifts, overhead press and then any of my supplementary exercises.

4. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Well in regards to bodyweight training, I'd say the more important thing would be to do your technical actions and/or full body movements first. Things such as advanced gymnastic techniques benefit from being first and having your attention when fresh, then proceeding to order with compounds then any isolation exercises.

For weights, there has been some good evidence that doing upper body lifts before lower body lifts tends to have little effect on the lower body's performance. While in the reverse situation, doing the legs first tends to cause a largeish deficit in ability to complete the upper body lifts. Again, compound lifts tend to come before any isolation exercises, unless doing a structured system like pre-fatigue. So generally speaking for weights you would go like:

Complex Lifts (Oly)
    Main Compound Lifts (Lightest load to heaviest)
    Assistance and isolation exercises

As to circuit training, the usual approach is to separate the use of the muscles by as many stations as possible; so going: legs, upper body push, upper body pull, repeat.

Possibly doing alternating upper, lower instead, and sometimes incorporating a cardiovascular or full body component.

5. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Do you squat more than you deadlift? I do them in that order too but never thought about it, but my dealift is more than my squat.

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

My deadlift is more weight but squatting works a larger muscle group

7. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

The deadlift is generally considered a full body exercise, and recruits essentially the entirety of the posterior chain and a few other choice muscles, and is also consider extremely draining on the body. I don't know what more musculature a squat is meant to use compared to a deadlift, and I can't see a well executed plan placing deadlift before squats, unless particularly trying to emphasise deadlifts.

8. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

There is no 1 way to do it right. It depends on your goals. Alternating is fine for a general up tempo workout. Most people do largest to smallest like chest then triceps or back then biceps but some believe in doing the oposite. Work tricep before chest so that when you get to chest your arms are preexhausted and the chest has to work harder.

Are you body building, power lifting, an athlete from another sport or just trying to stay in/get in shape? Ultimately you have to determine your goals first and then pick the work out that suits it best. Also different body types respond better to different routines.

9. S&CMAN

S&CMAN Valued Member

That's more the answer I was looking for.

I should have started with saying I have no weights and do not go to a gym. I'm hoping to get some dumbbells around christmas so, unfortunately, I didn't really understand most of what you guys said.

I'm a complete beginner doing taekwondo and it's more to get in better shape for that since I can only go to 1 class a week right now.

10. sandygothes

sandygothes New Member

Circuit training stations are generally sequenced in a way to alternate between muscle groups.Training technique that involves moving from one exercise to another, each exercise working a different muscle group until each muscle has been worked.

Blog ad removed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  11. Jhons

Jhons New Member

I am doing push ups,pulls ups,bench press for my shoulders,arms,biceps etc.Gained a lot of strenth with that.
    I als o prefer going for cyclining for a better stamina of my legs. i love doing that stuff.

12. robert01

robert01 New Member

If you want increase your body weight then it very simple apply heavy weight exercise and eat more and more food specially junk food.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would certainly never recommend eating junk food, especially if you are serious about training.

Food is fuel and before you can even think of gaining weight your body uses that fuel to maintain its basic metabolic rate. This is you core temerature, bones, muscle, hair, teeth and so on.

If you are not getting the correct fuel then that training will be for nothing and by eatig junk you can probably guarantee weight gain, but that is not lean muscle gain, which is what you should be after.

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Not to mention you will probably lack any sort of motivation to workout (or just move) off of a 500 kcal pre workout meal of Twinkies and Doritos, washed down with a Mountain Dew :p

15. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually Bill Wallace beat him to that by about 30 years with his legendary "Burger Diet"

17. Princess Haru

18. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a major difference between super processed, will stay good for 20 years outside of its package "junk food" and high calorie foods. A Twinkie or Doritos in comparison to a Pizza or Hamburger is quite different :p

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Bill Wallace is still on it!

One of my friends was training with him a few weeks ago and says he still oves his burgers! In fact Wallace took Dolph Lungdren to "Fatburger" after their sessions back in the day

20. Princess Haru

i suppose there are burgers and there are burgers. i had a couple from my local butchers last week. still think its insane to live on that much processed beef (or horse) ;)