exercise-induced asthma

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by sn11, Oct 15, 2007.

1. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

I'm phoning up tomorrow and booking an appointment then.

I am not on antiallergen therapy no

2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Firstly, let me back up what everyone else is saying - get an inhaler! :D Whoever told you you shouldn't have one because you might overuse it is being silly. (Did you see how much self-restraint I used there? ;))

Secondly, speak to the doc about Seretide. It's a purple inhaler and in the same style as Ventolin, but it delivers a mixed dose of corticosteroid (the preventer) mixed with salmeterol (the reliever). Salmeterol is a little different from the stuff they put in Ventolin (salbutamol) in that it takes a little longer to kick in, but it lasts for ~12 hours rather than four. The idea is you take it twice a day as it keeps your lungs open all day and night long. My asthma is pretty mild, but when I went onto it two years ago it immediately made a massive difference to my breathing.

The doc may decide it's inappropriate in your case, but it's worth mentioning it to him/her anyway.

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Definately do some research and have some specific questions for him. Doctors sometimes need a little help to be rational. ;)

4. Rob T.

Rob T. Valued Member

That's it - next time I see you in Selston it'll be running around the car-park! :D

5. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

Sounds like fun!

Update:

I have booked an appointment for Tomorrow, straight after college so HOPEFULLY i should find out whats going on then. Thanks for all the advice and help :D

6. CosmicFish

Cool. Let us know how you get on. :)

7. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Exercise induced asthma comes from the release of histamines during your workout. Albuterol is a quick acting beta agonist which opens your airways when needed. It really doesn't build up in your system because it has a fairly short half life. I remember when taking my internal medicine boards, this was actually a question and the answer was also to use of an inhaler called cromylyn. What this does is stablize your mast cells ( where histamines are stored) and prevents them from releasing the histamines. Histamines are what causes the inflamation that constricts your bronchial tubes causing you to get short of breath. So the albuterol helps immediatly, the cromylyn helps prevent. Now there is singulair on the market, this is also used to help asthma patients, but it hasn't been approved (at least to my knowledge) for exercise induced asthma, but I have used it with some success. Curious how was it diagnosed? Did they do pulmonary function test where you had to breath in an irritant (the name for which escapes me at this time)? Also it hasn't been approved, but use on an anti-histamine like benadry or claritin physiologically makes sense, however for a regular asthma patient these are generally avoided for chronic use as it can dry out secretions in the lungs which can cause mucus plugging and that starts a whole different ball game.
    Hope this helps out.

8. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

now in english?

9. sn11

sn11 Woosh! Bang! Ow!

-Update-

Apparantly, i have to use the asthma checker and chart thing again...

But, as i already have a minor chest infection and cold i have to go back when im over that.

I've told them the symptoms, what happens during exercise they agree it almost deffinately is that and yet... nothing.

SERIOUSLY :woo:

10. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Its not surprising your doctor wants th einfection to clear before making a proper diagnosis os the chest sounds different when iinfected.After all you want an accurate diagnosis don't you?

11. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Sorry, my Doctor talk got the best of me. We all have these things called mast cells. Mast cells contain histamines. Histamines are what caused allergic reactions, rashs, runny nose, eyes, etx. Histamines also cause inflamation. Well, in exercise induced asthma, this histamines release and cause inflamation of the airways, when there is inflamation, than the airways get smaller, causing decreased oxygen flow, thus shortness of breath. Inhalers work many different ways, albuterol as mentioned before works on receptors in the airways to open then up, therefore increase oxygen flow. Cromolyn, stabilized the mast cells and prevents the histamines from even being released. Steroid inhalers prevent the inflamation from occuring, kind of like putting out the fire.

Case in point, during spring time when the trees start blooming, they release pollen. The pollen causes irritation of your mast cells, when the histamines are releases than you get itchy eyes, sneezing, maybe even shortness of breath. Now take that scenario and put it in your lungs, when you exercise it does the same thing, so instead of a good airflow, you get inflamation in the airways, the oxygen doesn't flow as well and you get short of breath. All the inhalers you take try to prevent or work on the problem that causes it all.

Clear as mud????

12. CosmicFish

Makes good sense to me, and the first one made a fair bit of sense too. But then I have some background as a volunteer for several dozen asthma trials.

A few paragraphs may have helped too. ;) :D

13. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Wow! I thought it was just me! (On the exercise induced asthma thing, not not understanding doc97)

i have an albutyrol inhaler that I use when it gets really bad in class. I hate it, but I also sit out sometimes for a couple of minutes if I have to. Gotta be better than blacking out! My instructor is cool about it and says he can spot when I'm getting close... he makes me stop for a bit when it happens (aww...what a nice guy!)

I'm glad I found this thread :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  14. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

How often are you using your rescue inhaler? If it's quite a bit, you may be a candidate for other medications such as advair, a combination of long acting albuterol like medication and a long acting steroid to help prevent inflamation. If you are using your inhaler quit often, than talk to your doctor. You may be a candidate for more medications to help your symptoms!

15. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Hi Doc97, I don't use my inhaler that often. Maybe a couple of times each month (I have class three times/week).

Right before I took up kickboxing I had a real bad cold that turned into brochitus (yadda yadda). the MO gave me the inhaler cos she said I sounded asthmatic. She also Rx antibiotics too.

Anyway, bye bye chest infection, but hello new MA and sudden E.I.A.

Kind of scared me cos never had it before. As a smoker I've been short of breath mountain biking etc., but this was different. I took the common sense route and gave up the smokes (almost mostly :rolleyes: ), and that has pretty much controled it. If i have a bad weekend (i.e. I get drunk, and thus smoke) I pay for it in class on Saturday/Monday, but that then gives me the motivation to stay on track with cessastion (sp?).

I have a friend who developed emphasima at age 38 and that just scared the pants off me, so anything I can do help myself stay off the smokes is good (willpower being in short supply). I just use my inhaler when I consider it an emergency in class, and like I say that's not too often. Thank God!

16. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I have exercise induced asthma. I have an inhaler. I take it about one hour before I do intense exercise. I've never heard of overusing it. It tastes awful! :confused:

I don't think anything cures it. I notice with me, certain things make it more likely to occur. For example, it is worse in my Judo/JuJutsu school than my TKD school. My J/J is in a basement. It's very damp, and I am likely to have a 220 lb. sweaty person laying on top of me suffocating me with their sweaty gi.

I also notice the cold and allergy season sets me off. It hasn't slowed down my training at all.

Good Luck!

17. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Congrats on giving up smoking!! That is one on the hardest things to do, and it is the single most important thing you have ever done to improve your health. Especially for asthma sufferers. I always tell my patients who have lung disease, "you wouldn't kick a wall if you had a broken foot would you? Than who do you keep smoking?" A couple of times a month, doesn't sound to me like you need an increase of meds, but if it becomes a couple of times a week, than you should talk with your health care provider about boosting up your treatment. Hope all goes well.

18. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

:) Cheers mate!

19. Bagpussfan

Bagpussfan Valued Member

I have this problem too- I was diagnosed after giving up smoking- I think the smokes disguised it rather.

Anyway, I have an inhaler which works most of the time. One thing which also works when I train is breathing in through my mouth and then blowing the air out of my lungs, not merely exhaling. It's good for breath control as well.

I was also told not to cough too much, however much I may want to, as it actually makes the problem worse!

Good luck in getting it sorted!